My very first build. How to start?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by harriswho, Dec 28, 2017.

1. macaroonie

macaroonie Friend of Leo's

For some reason the You Tube links are not working however the clips are there. Look up my old You Tube channel ' macaroonie54 ' and you'll get them.

A couple of years later Fender introduced this :

make of that what you will.

2. harriswho

harriswho TDPRI Member

Macrogats Im more than glad if I have made you post your work through this thread:)
    Your guitars are really exceptional and 100% opposite to the approach I had in mind, that is, going by the book. I really admire your "out of the ordinary" builds, these are stuff I've never seen before. Some focus on looks, some focus on sound. Obviously it's all sound focused and there is plenty of room for experimentation when you want to achieve different sound.

Macaroonie, when I read on your post "Strange as it may seem I cannot play a note on a guitar" the first person that came to my mind was Ned Steinberger, creator of the Steinberger headless guitars. He didn't know how to play the guitar either, I think he was a furniture designer. I used to own one of the Synapse models (after the company was sold to Gibson) which have nothing to do with the good old 80's models made out of graphite but anyhow having the guts to start building something without knowing how to play is indeed fascinating the least. Your build really speaks of how much research, patience, measurement, thought should be put on a build. Helps me keep my feet on the ground while my mind is in the air haha. Loved your guitar build although I would be so curious to hear how it would sound if there was a neck position pickup. You got a new youtube sub there I think im your 3rd:)

3. harriswho

harriswho TDPRI Member

Ok after months and months of doing nothing I finally got my neck and fretboard ready. I went with a maple-padauk-sapele multi-laminate neck and a padauk fretboard. They arrived as in the photos attached but when I lay them flat there is a slight bow which I need to fix probably by sanding them on a flat surface.
    I'll go with an angled headstock but didn't have more of that neck to cut and reverse therefore I am going with this floorboard I found in the house which looks like mahogany to me. I got more than 20 of them spare to play around and perhaps experiment on them on several tests (hardwood behaviour) before I ruin the official blanks.
    I'm looking on youtube to find videos on how to do a scarf joint and they are all fine and helpful but any further tips or things I need to have in mind and save me from a catastrophe?

Attached Files:

Steveinthesticks likes this.
  4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

5. harriswho

harriswho TDPRI Member

Thanks Marty,
    I'll try my best to follow those tips and not ruin it. In the meantime I prepared the body and neck templates, just with a jigsaw and lots of sanding.
    Since I am doing an angled headstock I think that the nut should be at the end of the fretboard and not part of it. Is there many different nut types, should I look for something specifically apart from width? What determines the string spacing? The choice of bridge type, the width of the neck?

36064702_1749946828432750_8514385962644537344_n.jpg 35476420_1749946705099429_7036275613425991680_o.jpg 35882951_1749946715099428_1762355300662247424_n.jpg

6. guitarbuilder

This will let you know your nut choices. Most tilt back necks have a 3/16" ( Gibson like) thick nut and are stuck to the end of the fretboard, not in a slot. Your neck's nut width sort of determines where the slots in it go. You want the e strings to be in a certain location and the rest of them spaced properly. You don't want the strings to fall off the edge of the frets and you don't want to waste the edges of the fretboard either. You can look at a picture of a nut guage too.

https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Nuts_and_Saddles/

7. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

As Marty hinted to above, if you are making your own neck then slotting the nut yourself is the best option. Pre-slotted can be great if you can nail 1 11/16ths, 1 5/8ths or 1 3/4s perfectly when you shape your neck. I always find when I am happiest with the look and feel of a neck I'm a little over or under and that can change the string spacing just enough that the standard pre slotted nuts are o.k. but not a perfect fit.

8. guitarbuilder

9. harriswho

harriswho TDPRI Member

Its been over a year and things go really slow but here is some of my progress. I finally almost have the neck ready.
    I used a 14" radius block to sand the fretboard, stainless steel frets which i rounded the edges by hand and aluminium rod dot inlays.

The thing looks pretty nice and I am now worried how I am going to profile the back of the neck without ruining it.

58691945_2201726933254735_3633371607465984000_n.jpg
    58374663_2201727003254728_7432165770123018240_n.jpg
    58384442_2201727113254717_7990149843701989376_n.jpg
    58376079_2201727319921363_96436300856426496_n.jpg
    58549736_2201727269921368_8181436893813014528_n.jpg

Attached Files:

10. Mr_Q

Mr_Q TDPRI Member

Looks awesome so far! To shape the neck, read this thread by Marty thoroughly: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/lets-make-a-neck.755300/ I'm sure there are other relevant threads, as well.

Research the facet method and go slow. I haven't done it yet myself, and I'm reading everything I can.

Treadplatedual likes this.
  11. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

You kinda put the cart before the horse a little there. You normally don't fret it until you have the neck carve done.

DrASATele likes this.
  12. harriswho

harriswho TDPRI Member

Yes you are right. I will try and be as careful as possible and hope that the neck stays straight.
    I was thinking of doing that technique for the body that a lot seem to do recently. They create a bevel (route a bevel) on the guitar top and the flat upper side is painted while the bevel is not. How do they do it? Do they paint the whole top and then route the bevel or route the bevel and then mask it off with painters tape and color the top?
    Here is an example.

[​IMG]

Steveinthesticks and Ekko like this.
  13. guitarbuilder

I'd imagine the do all the routing first, then mask it and paint it. It would be more work to do anything else to achieve that look.

14. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Meister

+1 for the facet method, that thread was epic.

Here's my first ever neck, following that process:

[​IMG]

Also, with the multi-laminate neck, I'd think you will be ok shaping after fretting, but you may end up re-dressing the frets.

DrASATele and guitarbuilder like this.
  15. DrASATele

Yup. That's going to be a huge PITA to clamp down to carve.

Nice job on the frets and board though!

16. GPlo

GPlo Tele-Meister

I’ve built only 2 necks but had no problem shaping after putting the frets in. I did it that way because it seemed easier to hammer in frets when the neck is still square

DrASATele likes this.
  17. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

I always fret before the back carve for the same reason - it's nice and flat. I clamp on the sides that go in the neck pocket when I carve and never had an issue. Different strokes for different folks..:)

DrASATele likes this.
  18. DrASATele

Perspective! I needed some . . . lol

Valid points. I guess I want to know more.... So how do ya'll keep it locked down to carve?

19. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

In my vise with clamping cauls on the heel end.

DrASATele and GPlo like this.
  20. GPlo

GPlo Tele-Meister

Same as RickyRicardo

DrASATele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.