My Telecaster Got Kidnapped!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by nojazzhere, Mar 17, 2019 at 8:38 AM.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Last night I played a private party gig, with a lot of other guys and gals sitting in, and it was actually a lot of fun. I commented early on in the evening there were a number of guys with the molded Fender cases, with the red labels, just like mine. I have a piece of yellow material tied on mine (like you do on luggage at the airport) to help identify it. After everything was over, I was carrying gear out to the car. I always take my guitars out last, so they're not unattended outside. I made one trip out with gigbag and amp, and other folks were taking THEIR stuff out. I got back inside, and looked at where my guitar had been, and it was GONE! I quickly looked around to make sure, but it wasn't there. Everyone else had driven off, so it was gone. The host quickly called the last group that had left, but they were too far away to come back. I know what probably happened....someone in that group (two man/wife couples) had a Strat in the same kind of case, and someone ELSE thought it was his, and grabbed it. Everyone there was friends and (to my knowledge) honest.....it was simply an accident. I'm planning to go by their house later today, and I'm pretty confident I'll get it back, but I'm still a LITTLE concerned. It's my Telecaster that, while not expensive, has been modified so much that it would be really tough to replicate.
    Has anyone else ever had this happen....either a mistake or outright theft? I'll report back later.....wish me luck.

2. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

I’m sure it’s fine... I tend to pack my stuff away pretty quick when I play out to avoid issues like this. Now I’ve picked up keyboard, I’m either going to have to spirit that away after I’ve played or make a hard cover for it to avoid it collecting drinks. It’s a lovely, flat-topped stage piano/console table... :eek:

Greggorios and nojazzhere like this.
  3. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Holic

Hope you can ge tit back, i think they might take it by mistake. Myself thinking of getting a squier strat for jam sessions, dont want to break mim tele at the club

Greggorios likes this.
  4. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

I once was playing an acoustic gig where another band got mad about something related to the gig and packed up really quick and left. Taking with them my Blueridge Br160. It was literally the only guitar I owned. I was really upset(did I mention I was 13?) The group was from Florida so I just knew I'd never see it again. I borrowed a guitar for my part of the gig and just as I was ready to leave their van pulled back in. The guy felt so bad. I was just so happy to have her back. Still have her to this day

5. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It has happend to me - by mistake - never a big problem. but that shock and sinkin' feeling is bad enough.
    I try to avoid it now...

1-DSCN0274.JPG

Attached Files:

Deeve, String Tree and nojazzhere like this.
  6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

There used to be a hat store that put cards inside the (inner) headband that said,

“LIKE H*LL ITS YOURS!
    GO GET YOUR OWN AT
    —— WESTERN WEAR!”​

and then had a space to write your name, address and phone number on the card.

It was the first time my father allowed me to own something with a cuss word on it...I was 12.

Greggorios, Ricky D., dkmw and 2 others like this.
  7. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Meister

I once had the same problem with similar-looking (non-guitar) equipment cases being picked up and removed inadvertently and ending up in the wrong place when they were needed.

I solved it by making a clear luggage tag with something identifying tucked into the handle in a way that would force someone picking it up to look at it (picture that tag in bright yellow with "Blrfl" printed on it in the largest type that will fit ):

tag2.jpg

Thieves, of course, won't care. :)

Greggorios, Deeve and nojazzhere like this.
  8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’m sure it will workout fine.
    Good luck, just in case!

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Hope you get it back. Keep us posted.

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. vanrrice

vanrrice Tele-Holic

keep us updated, want to hear how this turns out. hoping you get your tele back.

11. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

I was leaving to go to work maybe 22 years ago and a few streets over in our development I saw what looked to be a gun case at first but slowed down and it was a fender guitar case.
    It was still dark and I stopped and picked it up and put it in my trunk figuring I would find the owner or sort it out that evening.I opened it up that evening and it looked to be 72 telecaster well played for sure.
    Sixteen year old daughter walks in and I tell her the story and she was like "Well daddd there is a group of guys that live over there and they are like in a band" rolling her eyes.
    So I stroll over and bang on the door and sure enough a young lady answers the door and I ask her if anyone was missing a guitar.You should have seen her eyes light up..They had been loading out around 2 that morning and pretty much had just realized the guitar was missing.
    I did ask them the make and color of the guitar which they promptly answered,so I walked back home and retrieved it for them ..
    Sure made their day and my day also.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 2:36 PM
  12. nojazzhere

sunday 111.JPG sunday 111.JPG
    This is my bass case with the same yellow material as my Tele case, so obviously it would have to be deliberate theft or an ignorant person accidentally grabbing the wrong case....I really do assume the latter.

13. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yikes! That's a bummer. I hope you get it back, and soon.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Man I hope you get your guitar back! Let us know as soon as you get your hands on it. You're a pretty cool dude, if I were in your shoes, I would have already been over at those peoples house checking on my guitar. Most likely I would have done like my sister in law did when a shopping cart rolled across the parking lot at Walmart and hit her new car, I'da called 911 right then and there!

Greggorios and nojazzhere like this.
  15. nojazzhere

If I didn't know these folks myself, been to their house before, and feel (hopefully) they're completely trustworthy, yeah, I'd have gone to their house late last night. One of the ladies (whose husband had the Strat case just like mine), is an associate Methodist minister here in town. If I don't get it back....maybe it's God's will! ( and I don't believe that for a second ;))

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Some big dude probably thinks that YOU took HIS guitar and is on his way over to your house with a couple of the boys !​

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I'LL feel a lot better when I know you have your Tele back in hand! I guess one of us will have to do ALL the worrying! :D

18. nojazzhere

Except there wasn't a guitar LEFT behind....it's not like someone took mine INSTEAD of theirs.....with four people carrying out stuff, someone simply grabbed one guitar too many.;)

tery likes this.
  19. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Meister

Happened to me once at a bar that ran an open jam on Sunday nights. At the end of the night, my 72 Goldtop had walked out the door. In its place was a Gibson Marauder. I freaked out. My buddy Nick talked me down—he asked around about the identity of the guy who had showed up with the Marauder and got his name.

The next day, I started calling everyone in the Raleigh phone book with that last name til I got the guy’s girlfriend, explained what had happened, and left her my number. A few hours later, I got a very sheepish phonecall. And we met to swap back.

It was an honest mistake. Both cases were identical. From thenceforth, all my cases are clearly marked.

dkmw, nojazzhere and Toto'sDad like this.
  20. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

When "other" people help cart out gear. Things like this can happen.

I don't mind having extra help with gear. But, you kind of have to be careful who's car your gear might end up in. I've experienced what's happened to you before.

I got my stuff back, but it's kind of like losing your wallet. A little uneasy until you find it.

I'm sure no one did it on purpose. But, do hope it turns out well for you.

Greggorios, nojazzhere and Toto'sDad like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.