Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

my Tele took its first major fall

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ron R, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    Last night, after practice, courtesy of my clumsy drummer. Managed to stumble into and knock it off the guitar stand it was sitting on. Face plant onto his slab floor.
    Told him he should be glad I wasn't playing a Les Paul, or he'd be funding headstock repairs. ;)
    Anyway, I see no visible damage to the finish or any of the hardware (thankfully). Knocked the low E and the high E out of tune about a half step.
    As if y'all needed more confirmation that Teles are built tough.

No word yet on whether his slab is in need of repair. :lol:

2. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Oct 17, 2012
    Nelson City TX
    I was about to ask about how badly the slab floor had chipped or maybe even cracked.
    Teles are built tough.

Matthias, MA6200, SonsOfMoog and 2 others like this.

3. GearHund

GearHund Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Apr 9, 2008
    East, Tx
    I was going to ask how badly your drummer was injured.... by the falling tele.

Fiesta Red and Ron R like this.

4. DugT

DugT TDPRI Member

Sep 22, 2017
    northern CA
    I'd have been tempted to stumble and accidentally stuff my gorilla foot through his bass drum.

Ron R and nojazzhere like this.

5. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Further confirmation that drummers are.............well, drummers! :rolleyes:
    Just Bangin'
    Gene

danpan and Ron R like this.

6. SonsOfMoog

SonsOfMoog Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2017
    US
    The only tough Gibson I've ever had was the Firebird VII. I hit the headstock against a crash cymbal in my youth and dug a 1/16 inch dent into it.

No cracks, 13 years later still going strong. Of course it's because of the headstock design "borrowed" from Fender.

4 Cat Slim and Ron R like this.

7. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    That's why I like teles! It's nice not having to worry or treat them like delicate little flowers. They aint gonna cry if they have a little fall. They suck it up and keep going.

Ron R likes this.

8. connuchar

connuchar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2006
    phx az
    eye haven't had to test the theory but eye heard they are lethal in a bar fight too

Ron R likes this.

9. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2016
    US
    This is basically THE reason I got into Teles. Waiter at a gig knocked down my LP with the expected results. While waiting for repairs I tried a standard Tele, then "discovered" the 72 Deluxe. Still love my LP, but the Tele became my new main squeeze.

Ron R likes this.

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Serves you right for setting your guitar down ANYWHERE within fifty feet of a drummer not strapped down to his throne. I try, at practice and gigs, to position my guitar stand behind my amp, where no one can walk, for this very reason. At gigs, how many times does some drunk (or even sober) guy wander up to the stage while you're on break, and want to grab your guitar? I've even had little kids come up and want to flail away on it. If it's a kid, I'll usually squat down and let them gently strum, while I'm watching carefully....but I'd never trust a drummer like that.

Ron R likes this.

11. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    '
    If you notice a dead sounding string you may need to consider installing a new set.

I once had this happen after my Tele took a nasty fall and brought it in to have it serviced - because I thought something happened to the nut or something - only to have them replace the strings. Now I know better...

Also check your frets. One of the frets got a small dent that you can feel while bending the string in that spot, which I'm sure happened when it fell.

Luckily there were no chips (or worse)...

'

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    Ron R likes this.

12. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Tough as nails, are Teles.

Wilko Johnson used to transport his without even a case.

Some of the gigs we play, and some of the audiences we play to, I'm glad of having a Tele in my hands.

Ron R and oldfish like this.

13. sdd28772

sdd28772 Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2009
    Queensland
    I wouldn't worry to much, every time a Tele falls to the ground the earth slightly moves off its axis to counter the shock wave.

Ron R likes this.

14. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2011
    Kent, UK
    I had the same happen when one of my Teles took a dive. Annoying but as long as it's not too deep you can partially polish it out and let playing do the rest. Apart from that they are tough little beasts.

AxemanVR likes this.

15. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Your experience is amongst the reasons I converted from a Confirmed Strat Man to a Tele player.

I love my Strat--and still own it and play it--but I always felt I had to "baby it" to a certain degree...but with my Telecaster, I have no such concerns in that regard.

I'm glad your guitar wasn't hurt.

Ron R likes this.

16. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

Sep 9, 2015
    South Florida
    My Tele is so heavy that it broke the wall hanger screws. Guess that's the cheapest part of those wall hanger kits.

Luckily I had put my bedroom throw pillows on the floor under my guitars.

At 4AM one night we heard something fall, got up, turned on the lights to find the Tele was not on the wall. We look down and there it is laying on the pillows.

The headstock did drag down the wall the entire way and scratch the maple up a bit. The wall had more damage than the guitar.

This guitar has fallen at least 4 times, some hard ones too and seems to be fine.

If it were my 2016 Les Paul Traditional Honey Burst the headstock would have exploded even landing on the pillows.

Fiesta Red and Ron R like this.

17. titan uranus

titan uranus Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2017
    36.395884, -78.710617
    This is why we buy cases for our Telecasters. All those amps and cabinets NEED to be protected from the six stringed wrecking ball.

steveieg, Fiesta Red and Ron R like this.

18. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    '
    That's what I did, just enough so that it doesn't catch when I make a bend in that spot...

'

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.