Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My Tele Project

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by andrewb, Jul 24, 2008.

1. andrewb

andrewb Tele-Meister

Jul 17, 2008
    sydney
    and i installed the tuners...
    and smoothed out the neck....
    i still wanna shape the headstock better... but at the moment im too lazy...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. andrewb

andrewb Tele-Meister

Jul 17, 2008
    sydney
    and i started to glue up the blank for my next project... hehehe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. andrewb

andrewb Tele-Meister

Jul 17, 2008
    sydney
    well i did the headstock today....
    again showing things can be done with minimal tools....
    used some masking tape, rasp, sandpaper, sanding block.....

i love the round over edge iv seen on some older fender headstocks....
    so i did my own version of it (just cause i can.... lol)

and now im thinking why not just plug the tuner holes and re-drill to fit the klusons while i have the neck rough and apart.....?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. andrewb

andrewb Tele-Meister

Jul 17, 2008
    sydney

5. scubadoo

scubadoo Tele-Afflicted

Apr 1, 2008
    Bristol, UK
    I'm loving the build Andrew, it's great to see your ingenuity and how you make do with what you have at your disposal. It's an inspiration. I tend to convince myself that I have to go out and buy new tools all the time rather than thinking around the problems. I really hope this works out well for you!

6. andrewb

andrewb Tele-Meister

Jul 17, 2008
    sydney

you know whats funny.... i saw this rasp set (3 piece) in a 2dollar shop.... and thought why not see how they stack up to the expensive rasps i have....

needless to say they are excellent!... ;)

anyone want to help me out on the subject of finishing/buffing/polishing? :)

7. scubadoo

scubadoo Tele-Afflicted

Apr 1, 2008
    Bristol, UK
    what do you want to know?

On my first build, i wetsanded with small pieces of 600 grit paper on a small block (works better than using a full-sized sanding block) until the whole surface is matte. Careful on the egdes, there's less lacquer there. Don't use too much water as it can get under the string holes and lift the lacquer.

Then work through the grits. I went up to 2000 as it makes the polishing easier seeing as I had to do it by hand.Wipe down inbetween grits to remove abrasive particles.

I've just bought some 3m polishing liquids; Perfect-it, Finesse it and a final hand glaze to remove swirl marks but on my first I just used one, T-Cut which is a standard car paint restorer. If you use different componds make sure you use a clean rag each time. The final thing to use is a glaze or car polish type thing to fill any remaining swirl marks.

I was blown away with how good a finish you can get by hand

[​IMG]

Apologies if you already know this all this and bear in mind that I've only done one!

I can sense how eager you are to play this :D

8. andrewb

andrewb Tele-Meister

Jul 17, 2008
    sydney
    wow that finish looks great....

i havnt put many coats on mine.... so im a lil worried about what im gonna do...
    dont want to go through....

progly should have done more coats... but as we all know... i cant wait to get it strung up lol....
    im impatient.... :D

i guess i will go have a look for some polishing liquids

9. andrewb

andrewb Tele-Meister

Jul 17, 2008
    sydney
    oh and..... i have decided to plug and redrill the headstock to fit the klusons....

shall be fun :rolleyes:

10. andrewb

andrewb Tele-Meister

Jul 17, 2008
    sydney
    i have plugged up the tuner holes... and they have been sitting for a day and a half....
    they came out pretty good....
    spent hours carving the plugs with a handplane and sandpaper taped to a very large socket bolted into the drillpress..... lol
    glued them in... the glue held up good... i wasnt expecting them to all to work out first go....
    i shaped a length of wood to the size of the tuner holes, well a bit bigger, using one of my handplanes,
    i then ran it against the sandpaper in the drillpress to rough up the edges....
    put glue on and tapped it into the tuner hole, cut it off with a saw and repeat that for the rest of them....
    worked really well...

(my plan b was to take them out, get the glue off and drill a small hole through the middle, glue and reinstert them and screw a screw into the hole, which would split the plug and force it hard against the inside of the tuner holes.... but i didnt need to use plan b :D )

now i gotta try and figure out where the new holes will go...

and i gotta give the headstock its final sand...
    and i guess i have to think about a decal too...

but for now im going to sleep....

will update soon

11. andrewb

andrewb Tele-Meister

Jul 17, 2008
    sydney
    oh and, i got to go buy a buffing wheel for my grinder and some 3m polish paste stuff lol
    and some more masking tape,
    and maybe some decal paper if i can find any lol

12. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Aug 13, 2007
    ME
    Great thread and project!

13. andrewb

andrewb Tele-Meister

Jul 17, 2008
    sydney
    thanks for the kind words JDRNoPro

14. JasonRobert

JasonRobert Tele-Holic

I agree with everything scub has said... get rid of any gloss with the 600-800grit wet and dry on a small sanding block. Then work up through to 2000, not missing any out; each grade of abrasive will get rid of the larger scratches of the previous grade. Then use some sort of cutting compound.... I use Farécla but 3m or any other compound you can get hold of will do. I just use the Farécla G3 advanced liquid compound with a damp rag, then Farécla G10 swirl remover again with a damp rag and then use original turtlewax polish with a dry rag.

15. andrewb

andrewb Tele-Meister

Jul 17, 2008
    sydney
    thanks!!!

i will do just what you said,
    but im still a bit scared about it due to my finish being fairly thin (well i assume its pretty thin)

wet sand or dry?
    and between each grade of abrasive do you rub it down with mineral spirits or something to remove the residue?

i have to get some 3m and abrasives
    i have original turtle wax so thats all good

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. andrewb

andrewb Tele-Meister

Jul 17, 2008
    sydney
    its finished for now!

i polished it a lil and buffed it... a lil...
    lol im too impatient....

its really really hot here at the moment.... awful weather....

anyways, i spent all day on this guitar.... drilling... altering... putting it together....

had to do some alteration to the control cavity (again) lol.... the switch is chunkier than i expected...

wired it up...

fiddled for 15 or 20 minutes trying to get that bloody jack and jack cup on there... lol

filed out the holes for the tuners... cleaned the holes up a bit....
    put the tuners on and drilled and screwed....

put the neck on....
    lined up everything best i could... drilled and screwed everything to the body....

i put the ferrules in.... i found an easy way to do it....
    worked great....

searched around for a decent set of old strings to whack on it and check alignments/ect.......
    for some reason i refuse to throw out my old strings when i change them LOL..... they get rolled up and shoved into the new strings packet and thrown into a drawer ;)

anyways.... i got lazy of searching through hundreds of old strings so took my last new set and decided to string it up...

i love this part....
    the klusons make stringing up so much more fun....
    (although i do have "my" method and technique for stringing up my other guitars....)
    except high E... i dont like tuning that one... lol

i spent some time adjusting the truss rod.... and the saddles... tuning.. retuning... intonating best i can... retuning some more...
    plugged it in and was amazed.... till i got to the 12th fret a, d and g strings....
    strings bottom out.. on closer inspection i can see gaps where the frets should be hard against the fretboard....
    i havnt really ventured much into the world of guitar necks YET......
    but i am pretty sure this is no good....
    and im pretty pissed off to be honest...
    i will be emailing the seller and asking some questions and see what happens from there.....
    but by the looks of it i am looking at another neck..
    fun fun :unhappy:
    not happy at all.....

hmmm what else did i do....
    oh i put the string trees on too lol....
    and i stole the straplocks off my other tele hahaha.....
    ill have to go see if i can find a place to buy the straplock buttons seperate....

i have straplocks on all my guitars... and only use the one strap so i have a whole lot of unused straplock clip bits.....
    waste of money IMO...
    anyone know if they are sold seperate anywhere? they are the schaller ?ones..

hmmm anyways.... enough of me talking.... heres a whole lotta pics....

enjoy...

17. andrewb

andrewb Tele-Meister

Jul 17, 2008
    sydney

18. andrewb

andrewb Tele-Meister

Jul 17, 2008
    sydney

19. andrewb

andrewb Tele-Meister

Jul 17, 2008
    sydney

20. andrewb

andrewb Tele-Meister

Jul 17, 2008
    sydney

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.