Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My Squire Classic Vibe mod project log

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by littlebadboy, Sep 28, 2017.

1. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    I'm mod'ing my Squire Classic Vibe BSB Tele too! My last parts already arrived today and hopefully I'll have time to put it together this weekend.

[​IMG]

I play heavy rock, almost bordering metal. I like the sound of the CV but sometimes the bridge is just not heavy enough for me. I am happy with the neck tone though. So, mine baby will now have:

• Artec Giovanni custom single coil sized rail humbuckers with full 64mm rails. Decided on this because they're the only one with Alnico 5.
    • Fender 500k vol pot, was thinking of 1 meg, will try this 1st.
    • Fender 250k tone pot but has no-load option - goes straight to output.
    • OG 4-way for: neck/neck+bridge south/bridge south/full bridhe humbucker
    • Might have a flip switch to go straight to output from pickup switch

Thinking of getting a spare control plate. Are they standard in size and screw hole position?

moosie is one of my tech advisers for this project. He drew me control designs.

I guess it won't be a classic vibe anymore...

Video and sound of before and after results are in the works!

2. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    I already installed everything... and dayem! This baby is HOT!!! I like it! The no-load tone pot gives me the option to bypass the tone circuit giving me a direct sound from the pickups. It is AWESOME!

Right now, it seems that the Artec Giovanni GCT73 Telecaster Hot Rails Pickup on the bridge seems to be louder than the neck single coil being 11k Ohms compared to the lesser stock single coil. I will try to adjust pickup heights.

Question... do I have to adjust the heights until the volume is balanced? Or are humbucker bridge are just naturally louder? Or, up to what extent should I let the volume difference be?

Although I like the stock neck as is, I am thinking of an overwound alnico neck pickup.

A sound demo will be coming as soon as I find the sweet spot of the pickup heights.

Thank you Moosie for the technical advice, Slim for encouraging the mod, and Fill from another forum site.

This Squire Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster now have:

Artec Giovanni custom single coil sized rail humbuckers with full 64mm rails at 11k ohms Alnico 5
    Fender 500k vol pot
    Fender 250k no-load tone pot
    Fender 4-way giving me:
    1st: neck only
    2nd: neck+bridge south
    3rd: bridge split south
    4th: Full bridge humbucker

This baby is now a keeper!

In the future, I'm thinking of:
    A switch to also bypass the volume pot.
    A drop D tuner

Anode100 likes this.

3. drew1d

drew1d TDPRI Member

Jun 30, 2014
    Westchester NY

Awesome dude!!! The output of that bridge pickup is probably much higher than what it was at stock, so it's going to be louder. Humbucker's by their very nature will have more output. Adjusting the height will work to some degree, but it will change the tone of the pickup. Having the higher ohm rating on the volume knob also is going to brighten' up things. You could always put a higher output pickup in the neck. Or use a pedal to boost the output when you switch. Or, just don't worry about it. I don't really switch pickups in a song, I'm not sure what you do when you play. Glad stuff is working out for ya!!! -Drew

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.