Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My Squier Affinity mods so far

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by StuartJames, Sep 30, 2018.

1. StuartJames

StuartJames TDPRI Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Australia
    0DBAF845-3C65-42EB-BD74-40CD2238B2AF.jpeg EB1BD4CF-F11B-42DB-927C-2D59A82F5990.jpeg 33A75269-0A7E-45CA-ACA8-D1B18B980510.jpeg 3A9F56DE-8425-4094-BDEF-727650711871.jpeg 91C80A6A-3AF6-4797-91CE-5A6B213AC77E.jpeg Thought I would share my squier affinity mods I’ve been chipping away at. I picked up the guitar for a handful of coins, it looked like it had been well used but I instantly loved the feel of the chunky neck. Not sure what year it is because the serial no. has been scrubbed off. The body is 4.5cm thick. I’m assuming it’s an affinity because it is (was) a top loader. I’m trying to keep this guitar as low cost as possible. This is my first adventure into doing guitar mods. I’ve done the following mods so far
    - black tusq nut
    - tusq string trees
    - changed the white pick guard to Matt black
    - Donlis bridge pickup ( very cheap but I’m really liking it)
    -custom shop Texas special neck pickup
    -changed top loading bridge plate to a squier/fender standard string through bridge with saddles

I’ve just done the string through mod ( despite lots of “don’t do it” reccomnendations) and I could not be happier with the results. My main issue with the top loader was the rattle in the saddles and I couldn’t get the string height were I wanted it without loose saddles. I took my time measuring the bridge placement and used some great advice from you kind folk on this forum. The saddles are now rock solid. The action feels a lot better. It’s made a big difference. It intonates and ferrules at the back are actually pretty darn close to being straight!

My mate has given me a 4 way switch with CTS 250 pots. So next job is to rewire with the 4 way switch and a 0.033 capacitor.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018

2. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Really good job there, well done.

Not an easy mod to do, either.

3. Bilbert

Bilbert TDPRI Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Tampa, FL
    Nicely done on the string-through mod!!

4. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    that's the only string-through mod I ever saw that was good! congratulations!

Your mods will make this guitar into a fantastic monster. The only unknown to me now is the bridge pickup. I'd go for a Texas Special bridge pickup too...

5. StuartJames

StuartJames TDPRI Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Australia
    Thanks guys! I really took my time measuring up the bridge, double checked, triple checked, and then double checked again. A friend of mine builds motorcycles from scratch ( old GP replicas), so I was able to use his industrial drill press ( good equipment helps)
    In regards to the Bridge pickup, I really do like the Texas special bridge and may very well end up with one of those ... a friend has a Texas Special Tele which I have spent a bit of time with but the Donlis Bridge is more of a “true Tele” sounding bridge pup, and it sits very well with the Texas Special neck, I’m really liking it!

6. Bobby73

Bobby73 TDPRI Member

Feb 9, 2018
    Middle River MD
    Looks Great! Good job... i did a string thru mod on a mim toploader and it was good but like you i took my time and used a drill press

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.