My son is moving to Springfield IL - what's it like?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ted M, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

He's just out of grad school and (thank god) has found a job in his field in Springfield, which he has only visited once for the interview. I've never been there. Can anyone suggest a good area to rent an apartment, or give me any other info about Springfield? Seems like a nice medium sized city.

2. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Don't know alot about it, but I think it would be much better living in the
    neighborhood with the Andersons, and avoiding the area where the Simpsons reside.

3. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I've been there a couple of times, seemed like a nice town the first time. The second time was the morning after a tornado went through town, it was something of a mess then.

4. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

There's an Air National Guard F-16 base there, if that helps any. It's the state capital. It's where governors go to find corruption.

5. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

Abe liked it...

6. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

I'm just glad he got a job so he can pay off his loans!

7. dman

dman Tele-Afflicted

Flat. Way flat. And windy. But otherwise a pretty nice small city.

8. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire

It's a mid sized city, I guess you'd say. Parts are kind of a dump...other parts are pretty nice, especially any property near the nice lake they have.

I'd say anything near the little downtown area would be good...there's a strip south of downtown with lots of townhomes that looked pretty nice last time I was through...I had a friend in college who lived on the east side and he described his neighborhood as kinda poor, with plenty of drugs around...but I mean, that's anywhere...

My advice to anyone checking out a neighborhood is to visit it on a Saturday night.

9. GK85

GK85 TDPRI Member

I live 10 miles from Springfield. It's a nice city...has a little bit of everything. If he wants to live in the city have him look at the west side. Lots of development with plenty of apartments/condos for rent. Also some nice towns surrounding...Rochester, Auburn, Chatham, New Berlin. May I ask what his job will be/where he will be working?

10. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the replies! My son graduated from Kent State U in Ohio with a Masters Degree in Library Science. He will be working for the Catholic Diocese in Springfield as an archivist - organizing their birth, death, baptism, and marriage records. He's a Quaker, but there is no religious litmus test for the job.

I'm delighted because jobs are hard to come by these days and I was starting to worry. He applied for over 50 jobs before landing this one.

11. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Doesn't Route 66 go through there?

12. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Everyone there was born in a log cabin and they are always returning nickels.

13. dman

dman Tele-Afflicted

Honest, Abe?

14. bw

bw Tele-Meister

Lived there for 10 years, live 45 min south of there now. West side of town would be ideal to live, pricey though. Stay away from east side of town! North and southern parts of town aren't bad, and as mentioned surrounding towns that are close by are nice. Not a bad place to live, good luck to him!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

15. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The live music scene is pretty flourishing, especially for a town that size. Twenty to thirty places live, mostly local music, on the weekends and a few gigs during the week. Plenty of decent bars with a nice variety of craft beers served.

I hope your son eats healthy. While there are plenty of good local restaurants, Springfield is famous for the horseshoe. For those that haven't heard of it, it's hard to beat in a calorie count. Generally, a couple pieces of toast topped with bacon or fried chicken or hamburger, topped with a heaping pile of fries, then smothered in a special cheese sauce. One local place serves 900 lbs of fries a day. It's delicious, but goes straight to your arteries. You oughta see some of the lard arses comin' outta that joint.

16. Joe Baggadonitz

Joe Baggadonitz Friend of Leo's

I lived there from '67 to '71 in the infamous John Hay Homes... yikes! Very turbulent time. Hopefully things have calmed down a little. From that experience, I vowed never to return. Everything you ever wanted to know about A. Lincoln but were too disinterested to ask.

17. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My grandparents farmed about 100 miles west, near Quincy / Macomb.

Mostly rural, small farms. You probably get a better small city feel out of Springfield.

Weather is hot and humid summers, bone chilling winters. Beautiful country, though.

18. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

Lots of great info here, which I've forwarded to my son. Thanks!!

19. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

It's probably a lot like Kent.

20. Joe Baggadonitz

Joe Baggadonitz Friend of Leo's

Hey rghill! my dad's people are from that area and Carthage as well. I come from a long line of Waltons

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.