Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My son asked "Why Is This Pedal So Expensive?" at GC today....

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by telefunken, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    This brought a tear to my eye. Makes me want to start a fresh relic thread... :lol:

2. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    My definition of a moron, in this context, is a person with lots of money and no talent, who buys things in order to somehow compensate for their lack of ability. (Not for nothing, I'm sometimes guilty of this myself.)

But, I also play two or three paid gigs a month, so I can also justify my purchases by convincing myself that I'm some sort of professional.

Anything that brings joy is not a waste of money. I just don't understand guys who'd rather buy lots of gear than actually learn how to play it. And, yes, I've met lots of those kind of guys!

Clearly, I speak only for myself. Everyone's mileage will absolutely vary!

3. soulgeezer

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    It's called holding out an olive branch. Oh, and...

Relics are stupid! :lol:

4. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 28, 2006
    NELA, Ca
    Somebody here's sig is 'less ebay and more Mel Bay'.

5. nathanteal

nathanteal Tele-Holic

Mar 8, 2014
    Rochester, NY
    Are they black or green olives?

6. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    He could grip it, by the husk...

7. nathanteal

nathanteal Tele-Holic

Mar 8, 2014
    Rochester, NY
    This is a slightly different situation, but sometimes I wonder if the guys at the Guitar Center ever do their homework. Here is a used mojo Hand Zephyr (#1 on my fuzz list) for the expect price you can get it brand new at any number of locations including the MH website. Not to mention you can get free shipping almost everywhere else.

It's not a Klon, I know. It's better. But the hype isn't there to jack up the price that much. At any rate....

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...ZEPHYR-FUZZGTR-FX-PEDAL-108576414-i2811272.gc

8. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

Jun 22, 2011
    South Florida

LOL. Hows that saying go? Jack of all trades and Master of none?

Well Warren may have only one kind of tone ( to your limited ears anyways) But he sure as hell masters it. Can't say that for most others out there.

Check Warren at 1:25

Hate to see what you consider Multi dimensional...........:rolleyes:

9. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2011
    Here
    [​IMG]

Oh please. If you've reached the stage of your musical career whereby you enjoy Warren's generic elevator-rock soloing, as translated through the mud-shart tone of boutique plexi amps, then it is time to chuck in the towel. Warren's stuff appeals to the most jaded of palates.

10. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Jan 13, 2013
    England
    "Nurse, Nurse! 40 cc's Java NOW. This patient is in crisis!"

11. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2011
    Here
    Welp, one coffee later....

Youtube is blocked at work, so I had to look up that video on my phone. Allman Brothers, Germany 1991. Warren is playing better than Dickie for sure. However, there is that fat, one-dimensional tone again. If you play a Strat on a gig, make it sound like a Strat. Warren might as well have been playing a Les Paul. In fact, Dickie's goldtop sounds slightly brighter of the two instruments. Warren makes a few slide licks go the distance though. He even plays one or two notes without looking rigidly at the frets to check his intonation!

For context, my beef with Warren started with that Jerry Garcia tribute they did with the Boston light orchestra (or whoever it was). I'm not saying this as a rabid Deadhead or anything, but Jerry was a higher-level player than Warren. This isn't because Jerry had better technique; he almost certainly didn't. Jerry had a voice on the instrument, something Warren has never achieved. Warren 'does the job', whereas Jerry carved out a niche, had his own voice (for better or worse), and actually doesn't just sound like a crude amalgamation of other players. Warren sounds like any number of senior guitar shop employees and bar band players; technically gifted but uncreative, unoriginal and demanding of far too much attention for a guy that raised the fortunes of a flagging band and made a killing playing other people's tunes.

To get back to the Jerry tribute concert, they let Warren get his greasy mits all over Garcia's Wolf guitar. I watched a tentative, hesitant and turgid performance of Terrapin Station (cut down with a bit of Franklin's Tower for good measure). Two Dead classics as performed in the style of a shaky highschool band and pit orchestra. The orchestration was probably the best bit (though uninspired). Warren decided to use a Q-tron for the whole deal (including sections where Jerry didn't use one at all). He vamps power chords where Jerry used inversions. He makes mistakes and he clams notes. For a guy raking in the jam band pennies he could have spent a few more hours learning the parts properly.

12. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 27, 2004
    North Hollywood
    Sounds like 8th grade girls slamming the pretty and popular new girl. We 8th grade girls should unite and love each other for our own unique differences, and proclaim "We Are All Beautiful Dammit!". Please replace "8th grade girl" with "Guitar Players":D:D:D:D

13. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2011
    Here
    Just as well Warren is neither pretty or popular; if you allow me to 'miss the point' for a few minutes. :lol: :lol:

14. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 27, 2004
    North Hollywood
    I won't argue about the PRETTY part:D

15. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2011
    Here
    I dunno man.

Some chicks really dig 300+ lbs of vaguely ursine, and profusely sweating, mountain man.

16. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

So you have a pedal that you want to sell.
    You post it on ebay and bid it up to $3000 yourself.
    Then you take it off as no longer available.
    Then you put a sticker price of 1999.99 on it and say how you saw one on
    e-bay last week that went for $3000 although it never went anywhere.
    That's E-bay marketing right there.
    Can you tell I spent some time in Sales?
    There really IS a sucker born every day.

17. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 28, 2006
    NELA, Ca
    Though plausible and surely probable sometimes ...

Latest 'sold' listing (and it's not even a gold horsie).
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klon-Centau...751?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2ed0097a97
    $3050.00

18. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    Love that Avatar! Ha.

GEEEEETAR FAAAAAACE! :lol:

19. deano_l

deano_l Tele-Meister

It seems to me that there are left-wing people who hate the idea of spending thousands on a Klon, and right-wing people who embrace it.

Rich people don't confuse me I must admit. I get them. It seems simple to me; if you have lots of money you buy things you like, whether it's a burger, a steak or a Klon. You just don't have to worry about tge gas bill when you do.

II'm proud to say I'm a capitalist, right-wing fascist imperialist running dog, and would love to be able to buy a Klon, and I would as well. Why not, if I was rich I wouldn't give the money away so I would buy nice things. A Klon would be on my list. In fact it IS on my list.

One day I hope to be rich enough to actually buy things off my list!

20. soulgeezer

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    In light of developments later in this thread (yeah, I'm psychic!), this post has been edited to say...

Cupcakes! Yum! ;) :p

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.