Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

My small the Pin Router

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Deneb, Mar 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Deneb

Deneb Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Thank you Roger for your kind words!!! I think that all the guys on www.tdpri.com are a ingenious guys. Each in its own way. You too!

2. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    Deneb I am so envious of you welding ability!!!!:cry: I have had an arc welder for years and everything comes out looking like parrot poo, not neat and professional like yours.

I have just finished and used for the first time today my 2nd pin router which I built to take a 1/2" Makita router for heavier work. I used two heavy duty drawer slide mechanisms and a couple of 5/16" threaded inserts in some heavy formply with a wheel on top. Very much the same as my old 1/4" unit I did years ago. It is so easy to use and gets used almost every day. The heavy duty one will be used less frequently but I did a neck today shaping the back with a HUGE !!!! bit which frightens the heck out of me:eek:

Question......Are you going to use yours for just wood or are you going to mill metal as well?? I've milled aluminium and brass on my small unit which came out OK.....slow but OK. I milled the bridge for my 2015 GSM Challenge build using it. It took a while but worth it.

Love your work! DC

3. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Thank you DC!
    It would be very interesting to see this!
    If you have some photos then show. Or tell me where to see it.
    I will use this for everything where possible it!:) Although originally I was planning this pin router for cutting out a flatwork of pickups and pickguards!
    Your idea of metal milling is very interesting. And I need that too. But for this need a vise slide 2 Way and less speed of milling cutters.
    I'm thinking about building a more powerful a pin router using an electric motor (not a router). But I do not know how to attach the collet 1/2" to a motor shaft. If you can give tips, I will be grateful to you!
    Maybe there is a collet-shaft on sale ...
    Also I want to use a big pin router for milling a guitar bodу and necks. But, this is yet to be built:)
    I want to see it !!!:eek:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Davecam48

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    I'll get some pix in the morning and post for you. Re cutting out guitar bodies.....you don't need a 1/2" cutter and pin. All my bodies and necks are done with a 1/4" trimmer router using a 3mm pin and a 3mm cutting bit. It's all in the way you approach the exercise. You can do it with big equipment and take huge bites of the wood at every pass but your chances of having an accident are multiplied greatly by the size and speed of the cutter. A smaller bit takes a little longer but accidents and miss cuts are virtually zero and the finish I feel is a lot better straight off the machine, and I only do about 1 to 1.5mm deep cuts at a time. "Slowly slowly catch Ye monkey!"

With the router in your post you will have no problem cutting out bodies and necks etc. without the need for fancy sliding vices etc. Make one great template and it will produce unlimited very good articles, all identical if that's what you want.

It takes about 20 mins to make a template to cut out a solid body shape, and if you like you can add the p/u route into the same template as well, but I usually do the other routs afterwards to accommodate small changes that may occur such as scale length, type of neck, type of neck mounting method etc.etc.

My 2015 Challenge guitar was twice the cutting out of a "normal" Tele, but still only took about an hour of great relaxing fun!

DC

6. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I'm with Deneb, I'd like to see your new "monsta" pin router. I hate to admit it, but I don't think I have the patience for 1-1.5 mm cuts, so I'd like to see the big, scary bit, too, please.

Also, I'm thinking that Deneb is right, for some milling work, say just a straight pass to flatten the bottom of a bridge casting, wouldn't you need a reasonably accurate and rigid x-y machine vise? There are some fairly cheap ones out there, but I don't know if they'd be robust enough for milling operations. Or maybe a pin router would be the wrong tool for this kind of work?

Deneb likes this.
  7. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    For example, such moments when need to remove a tree from the pockets of a body. A milling cutter 1/2" in this case is a good choice.
    Such thoughts arise from the following moments. I found a MILWAUKEE HEAVY DUTY 3 1/2 MAX HP router base. Its price is USD310 plus delivery to Ukraine USD139. And this is the best price I found. Total USD449 . For this money, in Ukraine I can buy two motors (new motors) with a capacity of 6.7 HP each. It makes you be lost in thought!
    I think yes. For metal 18000-22000 rpm will be a bit too much. For aluminum or brass as a way out of a difficult situation - it is possible...But on an ongoing basis it is unlikely

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  8. Davecam48

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    IMGP9478.jpg IMGP9477.jpg
    Just for you Rick! IMGP9478.jpg View attachment 413453

Deneb likes this.
  9. Davecam48

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    Sorry about the double images.........Tried to edit one out but didn't want to go and my great computer skills would dictate that if I kept on trying I'd probably wipe this forum off the map or start a nuclear war.

This is the one I was trying to load!:oops:

IMGP9479.jpg

10. Davecam48

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    Don't wish to hijack this great thread but I'd like to reinforce my ideas re the 3mm cutter and guide pin system. Attached are two pix of the construction of the neck shown in the previous post. It consists of 4 "staves" all cut from the same slab then glued together with a thin "blackbean" strip in the middle. The entire cut for these staves and the strip took well less than an hour and including the 15 degree scarfed headstock, which saved about 2 hours of work later on. Cutting a full thickness body would not take much (if any) more. Stave 1.jpg 4 staves.jpg

Deneb and RogerC like this.
  11. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
  12. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Do not worry about it. The important thing is that you are a good designer constructor.:cool: I liked your design!

13. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Your idea is good. And also your commitment to safety is valuable. I pondered after your words (post # 24). But, tell me whether the cutter deviates on the vertical plane when cutting? I think when cutting a blank of body a thickness of up to 2", this can occur.

P.S.
    By the way, also very accurate job.

14. Davecam48

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    Not at all Deneb. The router table is home made and as you can see has quite a lot of tracking set into the top for adding accessories and for adjusting the overhead frame.

With pin routers it is essential that the cutter and pin are identical size and that the pin and cutter are perfectly perpendicular to the table and that the cutter is perfectly aligned with the pin on all four sides. The pin on mine is held in the chuck of my table router which is a 1/2" GMC which adjusts the height of the pin. The 3mm cutters I use are standard CNC wood cutting bits I buy from the cheap shops in Hong Kong / China where ever I can source them (very cheap) The secret is the small depths of cut I make which don't load up the top router and in about 5-6 years of using it I may have only broken about 3 cutting bits. Small depth of cuts and small diameter cutters = easy cutting.

The overhead frames (I now have two) look a bit slapped together but are very accurate in the horizontal/ vertical alignment of the cutter to pin aspect. Using a large diameter bit can grab the cut channel wall and ruin the job (personal experience) hence the small bits. Size does matter!!!!

DC :D

Deneb likes this.
  15. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Further work for a turner. I prepared a drawing for a turner.
    Безымянный 1.jpg
    Well, I'm going to work on pickups at this time.:D

John Nicholas likes this.
  16. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    So, I have a ready-made parts, to continue work on the lifting mechanism.
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Zepfan likes this.
  17. thyratron

thyratron TDPRI Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Wakefield England
    Deneb,
    Nice idea. I wonder if the 2 mm pitch maybe too coarse?
    With regards to a milling machine, motors, generally, don't have adequate bearings to handle the side thrust required for milling. Added to that,they need to have variable speed. More expense. All in all the best bet, in my opinion, is to buy a second hand miller and do it up.
    I have seen milling adaptations to convert a large drilling machine, which also have inadequate bearings, into a miller. As Rick said, you would then need a GOOD XY table, and these do not come cheap.
    I look forward to your initial testing of the pin router.

Best regards,
    Paul.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  18. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Thank you, Paul!
    Maybe you are right. But, I went on a compromise. Raising and lowering the router should not be tedious.
    Deneb

19. thyratron

thyratron TDPRI Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Wakefield England
    Deneb,
    that is an excellent reason.:cool:

Paul.

20. GhostsAndLotus

GhostsAndLotus TDPRI Member

Mar 14, 2017
    california
    i cant really justify needing this at the moment.. but it looks like something i would design and make.. looks very solid, and should i need one i will definitely follow your lead! its funny showing my crazy sketches sometimes.. sometimes i dont even remember what they were for lol!

21. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Thank you for finding this interesting for yourself! Your words add inspiration to me. Try it, you have a opportunity to do it even better than I do!!!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.