My second build. A bass guitar!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by GPlo, Mar 4, 2019.

1. GPlo

GPlo Tele-Meister

The neck is bolted on.

Here’s a first attempt at a pickguard. I used a dremel with a cutting wheel to roughly cut out the shape. Then used the little sanding drums to clean up the edges. Will probably make another template with slight adjustments to the shape.

7498D4AE-94A2-4FC4-B219-2BBC0EB1AA5A.jpeg

2. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

I really like the body shape GPLo!

I followed your first build which gave me many tips on my current first build

This build seem to go so well and quickly. Well done

Treadplatedual and GPlo like this.
  3. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

the bass is looking really nice. I like the fade you did on the finish.
    Please don't take this the wrong way - I don't mean to be critical... and I am no expert... it's just the bass looks really nice and the pickguard isn't quite there. Just one idiots opinion... so don't read too much into it. sounds like you are going to redo it anyway. It's a nice first attempt.

You might try making an mdf template and getting the edge to follow the bass more closely, then trace that template with the material carpet-taped to the template and a bottom bearing bit.

again, I hope this doesn't come off as discouragement at all: I think there is a ton of potential there and you can do it. just my 2 cents.

great looking build!

GPlo likes this.
  4. GPlo

GPlo Tele-Meister

Thank you sir, I appreciate the feedback. I agree. I am going to try it the way you suggest in your post or something similar. Your comment is not discouraging, quite the opposite in fact. Thanks!

5. GPlo

GPlo Tele-Meister

Thanks Slowtwitch, I appreciate it. The fact that my build has helped someone else is so great to hear. I've been impressed with your progress as well.

Slowtwitch likes this.
  6. GPlo

GPlo Tele-Meister

As mistermikev suggested, I made an mdf template. I think I spent more time on this than making the body :’) Hopefully I’ll have time this week to finally make the real pickguard instead of working with mdf.
    Took 2 pictures but with bad lighting

74341C30-1964-4FC1-B804-BDE5B262F01D.jpeg
    6B045C8F-31C4-4E89-B7E8-0D29E05A27CA.jpeg

Attached Files:

Arch Stanton, Ekko and Treadplatedual like this.
  7. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Meister

That looks great!

Not sure if anyone answered your earlier question, but it's much easier and safer to level crown and polish while the neck is off.

Can't wait to see this one done!

8. GPlo

GPlo Tele-Meister

Today I worked until 12 am to (almost) finish the pickguard. I stuck the template to the record and routed it out. Sanded the edges and fine tuned the area around the pocket. Now it's a matter of touching up the pickup cavity where the router bit couldn't go and carefully fine sand the edges of the pickguard.

I found it surprisingly time consuming to do this. The pickguard is a custom shape and it took me a few tries to get the template right.Then the final adjustments to make it fit perfectly is also time consuming and kind of frustrating at times.

I think it looks kinda cool. A bit weird maybe but that's ok, so's the guy I'm building this for.

0AA63592-F389-432A-8C11-5D9D97E7C753.jpeg
    35B00713-599D-4C08-979D-7D1834F911C3.jpeg
    Here you can see the etch-ike drawing on the record a little better

AF1E3ECA-6CDD-4702-8A43-C12E47CA69A0.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.