My second build. A bass guitar!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by GPlo, Mar 4, 2019.

1. GPlo

GPlo Tele-Meister

Hello fellow members and builders.
    I've started a new build this week. In this thread I will post updates and pictures to document my progress.

A little background info. This will be a bass guitar for a friend (a wedding present). It will be a maple body and neck with a rosewood fretboard. The body will resemble a Fender Jaguar bass, while the hardware and positioning of the pickup will be similar to a Fender Precision bass. Kind of a mix between the two since I like the classic sound of the precision bass, but I prefer the shape of the Jaguar bass.

The finish will most likely be some sort of a natural burst. If I can get satisfactory results on a test piece that is (and if I don't change my mind of course).

Unlike my first build, this build will have a pre-slotted fretboard. Feels a bit like cheating ;) but I like the idea of having a perfect "user interface" especially since this will be someone else's guitar. Also, it will save me a lot of time and even money!

After making templates I started with the body. Here's the result. While routing the pickup cavity, the bearing of the bit came loose which caused me to accidentally route into the body. I glued a little piece of wood back in but there will be pickguard so it won't be noticeable anyway.

[​IMG]

I also routed the control cavity but forgot to take a picture (not that interesting anyway).

Today I started work on the neck. This time I started with the truss rod channel. Since the blank was perfectly square I was able to use the attachment thingy that came with my router. It worked pretty well. I took many small passes just to be sure.

[​IMG]

After routing I erased the outline of the neck since it was off by 0.5mm. I then aligned the template with the truss rod channel and attached it to my neck blank using the masking tape and super glue trick. I band sawed and routed the neck without too many problems. Only issue I have is that the bullnose router bit I used had a slightly larger diameter than necessary. But I think (hope!) it will be fine. It is in there pretty snug and the depth is perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll post an update as soon as I glue on the fretboard.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  2. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Afflicted

Wow that is sweet! I want to do a bass someday. Actually like to play one of those as much as a guitar

GPlo likes this.
  3. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

nice build. look fwd to seeing it finished and watching the video of you playing (aw yeah, put you RIGHT on the spot).

GPlo and 2blue2 like this.
  4. GPlo

GPlo Tele-Meister

Yesterday I glued the fretboard to the neck. To position the fretboard and keep it in place, I hammered in 2 finishing nails. 1 near the nut, 1 near the heel. I clipped them off to maybe 2mm and position the fretboard using the centerline. I pressed down hard to make a tiny indent on the backside of the fretboard. I carefully drilled those out with a 1mm drill bit. I did a test fit before I applied the glue and clamped it all down.

Today I released the neck from the clamps and trimmed off the excess fretboard wood. First using the bandsaw. Then with a hand plane and finally with my router to get to the tricky bit near the headstock. I had a little bit of tearout but I filled that up with superglue and maple dust, then sanded flush.

I am now going to thickness the headstock and do the headstock/fretboard transition.

[​IMG]

5. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Looks great GPlo!
    One common trick is to put a dab of silicone in each end of the rod slot before installing the rod - helps prevent any rod rattle later on.
    Maybe you did that.
    Wish my shop was as squared away as yours.

Treadplatedual and GPlo like this.
  6. GPlo

GPlo Tele-Meister

Thanks! Indeed I did. It rattled a little bit still, which had me worried for a sec. But then I realized it's probably because the rod is in its neutral position. Should be fixed as soon as I straighten the neck (I hope!).

My shop is so small, if I make a mess I'm not able to work ;)

7. GPlo

GPlo Tele-Meister

I used my router sled to route the headstock to the correct thickness. I then switched to a bullnose bit and roughly routed out the transition. Took about 5 or 6 passes. I used a dowel and some sandpaper to finish the transition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. GPlo

GPlo Tele-Meister

I just installed the frets. Looks OK for now, but I'll leave it alone until tomorrow and then check if I notice anything weird. In the meantime I'll contour the body.

[​IMG]

Slowtwitch, Ekko and Ziggy587 like this.
  9. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

looking good sir. looking fwd to the next update.

10. GPlo

GPlo Tele-Meister

Thanks!

Today I took a good look at the body and decided it was too thick so I removed about 2.5mm of wood (from the back) using the router sled. It's a little over 42mm right now. Looks much better IMO. Did some more sanding and decided I'm going to buy an oscillating spindle sander.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Treadplatedual, Arch Stanton and Ekko like this.
  11. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Looking good! As someone who likes to dabble on the low end I love your choice of body and PBass set up. I have a five string I need to get back out into the shop and get finished that is a little bit similar.

One word of advice, make sure it will fit in a standard gig bag or case. I made an offset guitar a few years ago and it just barely fit into one of my cases. The other case it would not fit into at all and it has a real hard time in a gig back.
    Just some warnings before you get too far.

12. GPlo

GPlo Tele-Meister

Funny you'd mention that. I've actually recruited my girlfriend to make a custom case for this build. Since it's a gift for my friend's wedding I thought it would be cool to involve her. She has no woodworking skills (yet) but we looked up some how-to videos and it doesn't look too complicated if you're going for just a basic case.

13. GPlo

GPlo Tele-Meister

Small update. I did about 90% of the belly contour. I’m now waiting on my side dot inlays to come in before i shape the neck. Its probably easier to install those when the neck is still square.

5D398F22-DCE6-4CD0-AEDE-ABECBB749FA9.jpeg 13DEBABB-F1ED-4FA4-8F81-EA68FB1ECE38.jpeg

Slowtwitch and Ekko like this.
  14. GPlo

GPlo Tele-Meister

Side dots and some other stuff came in. I installed the luminlay dots today. Hopefully carve the neck this weekend!

CA65F02C-27D9-453A-B353-2121D82EBA9D.jpeg

Treadplatedual, Ekko and Zepfan like this.
  15. GPlo

GPlo Tele-Meister

I carved the neck this week. It turned out better than my first neck. The transition at the nut/headstock looks better.

About halfway through i took off another 2.5mm of thickness because i’d been a bit too conservative (scared!) with that. Im happy I did because it looks and feels so much better. It changed the profile slightly to more of a D shape, especially towards the bottom part of the neck. It actually feels very comfortable in my hands so I kept it that way. Hopefully my friend will like it too!

Its almost there. Just some more sanding to do.

Question: Is it better to level and crown the frets before or after attaching the neck to the body?

C139F187-9097-405B-961A-39D9D55AC18E.jpeg D78282AE-D3CE-46C1-95E5-80A82799BD26.jpeg D1E77BC4-73DB-4595-8AE7-09A829BA7FC5.jpeg

Slowtwitch, Ekko and guitarbuilder like this.
  16. GPlo

GPlo Tele-Meister

I calculated the neck pocket depth like this: (heel thickness at 20th fret + height of fretwire) - (saddleheight in lowest position + brideplate - the little groove in the saddle). Which came out to 17.1mm

Routed the neck pocket with the makeshift jig I used on my first build. Takes a lot of work to align everything so I’ll make real jig for the next one. Also need some new router bits. I had to fasten this bit about halfway into the collet to clear the template and reach the desired depth in the body.

I did forget to put masking tape on the inside of the template where the bearings of the bit touch (to make the pocket a hair smaller).

I am quite happy with the result. The alignment seems alright after fitting the neck. It drops right in, i dont have to push down. I can slide a piece of paper in the gap but not a business card. This is without any finish on the neck.

Two not so great pictures

866AB59E-7FA1-4AFF-A520-32793EC780C5.jpeg

D2C55110-3566-4251-A093-739D063A6909.jpeg

Ekko likes this.
  17. GPlo

GPlo Tele-Meister

First coat of Danish oil

1211ACF6-4CCE-4F05-9406-143B0720EB53.jpeg BD087141-0C69-4157-AEAB-011DD52DDE3C.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  18. GPlo

GPlo Tele-Meister

Finished the neck with 5 or so layers of danish oil. Will rub it with fine steel wool in a few days and apply a layer of wax. I drilled the holes for the neck joint. Went smoothly this time. I fitted the neck and am now going to measure out the exact bridge placement and drill the holes before sanding and finishing the body. Here is a mockup. I will be making the pickguard from a vinyl record.

9D55EB93-1F75-49CB-A82F-A8E58C5BA1A6.jpeg

Slowtwitch, Ekko and hemingway like this.
  19. GPlo

GPlo Tele-Meister

I stained the top of the body today. Wanted to do a burst initially but couldn’t get it quite right on my test pieces. I found another effect I liked online (last pic) and went for that.

CE598711-3C66-454E-9E7B-C4CE61E456B4.jpeg

FE24FE2D-5F59-4B99-A17A-FB27FC05C581.jpeg

I used this for reference
    F4374A71-ADF7-4C49-962C-E71A6BC05CB6.jpeg

20. GPlo

GPlo Tele-Meister

Finishing with oil. I’ve done 3 layers of crimson guitars oil. Will switch to their high build oil now and do atleast another 4 or 5 thin coats and see from there.

D28638CF-5120-400E-9E6C-D9C175698A77.jpeg 8D14FDD6-646D-4BE7-9EA6-9A9EA8B55F8A.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.