My Rat Rod Esquire

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by afoolsparadise, Sep 24, 2011.

1. afoolsparadise

afoolsparadise Tele-Meister

Rat Rod "Deluxe" - Built to go, not for show!

[​IMG]

I love the whole hot-rodded Esquire concept of the Fender Custom Shop La Cabronita Especial. (Some early promo photos included the "Esquire" name on the headstock decal.) Starting with the classic Esquire design as a base, stripping it to the bare bones, and then rebuilding it with high performance components really appeals to me. My plan was to kick it a notch further into "rat rod" territory as a D-I-Y project with some custom parts and a few upgrades. My goal was to create a player's guitar with no "authentic & vintage" aspirations and without the high price associated with the scarcity & branding of a Fender Custom Shop Limited Edition.

Really enjoyed the process, including the photos and graphics - I see how this could be addicting!

Body - Pine, a little thinner than a standard Telecaster but not quite as thin as the original pine 1950 Esquire models. Finished with rattlecan John Deere Blitz Black, a flat black paint popular with rat rod builders because it's cheap, durable, easy to use, and looks great.

Neck - Large "C" maple neck & fingerboard with heel truss rod adjustment, medium tall frets, and 9.5" radius. Bone nut. Finished with Tru-Oil over amber shellac. Steel inserts and stainless steel neckplate & bolts for ease of adjustment and disassembly for travel. This particular neck/body combo required a small shim which is brass.

Tuners - Sperzel Sound Lock open back locking tuners in chrome with pearloid buttons. Great light weight tuners with an elegant design that offer a nice counterpoint to the overall "industrial" aspect of this guitar.

Pickup - Chrome TV Jones Classic Plus has slightly less of that mid-range PAF/humbucker sound compared to the TV Jones Powertron. I think it has a more complex Filtertron-style voice with plenty of punch and gives this single pickup instrument extra character. Especially nice with a low gain overdrive pedal.

Controls - CTS pots: 500K volume, 250k tone with Greasebucket tone circuit. Some people prefer a standard tone circuit but I think the Greasebucket works here. Switchcraft jack with aluminum Electrosocket.

Bridge - Custom machined solid brass bridgeplate with six stainless steel saddles. Same materials mix, with a little more "rat rod" attitude, as the American Standard Hard Tail on the original La Cabronita.

Knobs - Custom machined solid brass. Domed with heavy knurling.

Pickguard & control cover - Custom cut single ply .060" Parchment.

Hardware - Stainless steel throughout.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JCBurke59

JCBurke59 Tele-Holic

excellent.

3. goldguitarguy

goldguitarguy Tele-Meister

Love the tuners,top the guitar prefect

4. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

Looks incredible, if you need me to test drive it for a while. Feel free to send it my way

5. afoolsparadise

Thanks, I appreciate the consideration of all you prospective testers! Have no fear, it's getting a good work out!

6. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

That is AWESOME!! I absolutely love the aesthetics, and the neck color turned out perfect. I see one of these in my build future:twisted:

7. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

I love it! I've been wanting to make a black version of the tele/broadcaster/esquire/snakehead concept and this looks exactly as it should. Beautiful work. Now beat it up for a few months and post more pics...

8. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Very nice. I like all of your choices. The brass on black looks nice. I like the tuxedo look myself.

[​IMG]

9. deaconque

deaconque Tele-Meister

I love it. There's just something about a "beat up" guitar that makes me trust it a little more. Feels like an old flame as opposed to some new high maintenance broad.

10. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

That is nice. I like it better than mine....

11. afoolsparadise

guitarbuilder: Nice one! B&W is always a great combo. The La Cab has inspired lots of interesting variations.

deaconque: Thanks, I agree! Not a big fan of extensive relicing but don't like that new "fresh out of the box" shine, either. I like a bit of "character" in guitars and people!

Jupiter: Thanks, that's high praise from the maker of Max Kerrang! Very impressive build and nicely documented. I was too busy just getting the Rat Rod built to get any pictures. Maybe on the next one!

12. Brother Rob

Brother Rob Tele-Holic

I like those tuners. I've never seen those. Great build.

13. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Tele-Afflicted

That is a great looking guitar! Wow!

14. h2ocreeker

h2ocreeker Tele-Meister

Very nice, there is nothing I would think of changing and plenty I wouldn't have thought of using. Great photos too. We could use a sound sample to put it over the top.

15. afoolsparadise

Thanks! Those Sperzel open back tuners don't show up very often but they're a very slick design. I will definitely use them again.

The Rat Rod has been off on a trial to get some feedback with a buddy who gigs 4 or 5 nights a week. I hoping to get some clips to post, he's a killer player.

16. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Very cool!

17. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Wow, that is just a killer looking guitar!

18. Guitfiddler

Guitfiddler Tele-Meister

Awesome guitar! Love the brass hardware and tuners.

19. afoolsparadise

Guitfiddler, the brass hardware is from fellow Austinite Armadillo Guitar. Great custom machine shop.

20. SouthernComfort

SouthernComfort NEW MEMBER!

Absolutely beautiful, man. It's amazing how close your design is to a build I've been thinking about, right down to the flat black and the neck bolt inserts. Bravo!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.