My new-to-me Traynor YGM-3

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by wildbill59, Mar 11, 2019.

1. wildbill59

wildbill59 TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

Just picked this guy up the other day, I'm embarrassed to say how much (or how little!) I paid for it. 1969, 20 watts, 12" speaker, reverb tank, 2 Amperex EL84s, 4 Phillips 12AX7As. It still has the 2-prong cord, I'll be upgrading to a 3-prong soon and removing the 'death cap', etc. My amp tech told me to run it for a while and see how it sounded after about a half hour or so, let it 'cook' for a while. It def needs the pots cleaned, and I'm going to experiment with some other speakers, but it still sounds great. One thing I noticed - I shot the tubes right at the base with an infrared thermometer, the two EL84s and the V2 position 12AX7 were in the 200 degree range, the other three 12AX&s were around 90 degrees. They all were glowing about the same, and other than scratchy pots, the amp sounds fine. Should there be that much variance between the tube temps? Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't worry too much about tube temperatures as long as the amp sounds alright, and your tech will presumably check plate and bias voltages. The EL84s tend to run pretty hot in those amps to get 20 Watts. If the old 2-prong is there it likely still has the old brown firecracker filter caps that will need replacing at this point.

My YGM has a Warehouse Invader 12" -- sounds pretty good and is in keeping with the generally more British-rock tones these amps produce.

Nice find. Congrats.

wildbill59 likes this.
  3. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Definitely change filter caps, I'd also recommend adding a bias pot. I run Russian army 6n14's in mine, they're NOS from the '80s, sound great and can take a beating. While you're in there, there are a boatload of mods you can do if so inclined...

https://www.aguitarforum.com/threads/traynor-ygm-3.102386/

wildbill59 likes this.
  4. Ten Over

Ten Over Tele-Meister

I sure would love to see some gut shots before you mod it. It seems like every one of those have a slightly different circuit.

wildbill59 likes this.
  5. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Nice!

I have a 1970 that looks the same as that.

They are excellent amps, and the sealed back cab is a great feature IMHO.

I have a Celestion G12H in mine. (original speaker long gone)
    The Celestion is pricey but really suits this amp.

As already mentioned, the EL-84's run much hotter than 12A_7 pre amp tubes.
    It's normal.

wildbill59 and flyswatter like this.
  6. wildbill59

wildbill59 TDPRI Member

upload_2019-3-12_3-23-9.png upload_2019-3-12_3-23-47.png

Snfoilhat and galaxiex like this.
  7. wildbill59

wildbill59 TDPRI Member

There you go, thanks for asking. Yeah, just about every one I've seen too is slightly different, at least as far as components go. But I like what I see under here - clean, no leaks or burn spots, a few mustard caps, nicely wired.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  8. wildbill59

wildbill59 TDPRI Member

Cool, thanks for the link - lots of good things in there, I found that post when I first got this amp. Some of this stuff is still going over my head - I'm a mechanic, and I also like to mod my basses and guitars, like rewiring, experimenting with different pots and caps, etc. So I have an understanding of electrics, and a basic grasp of tube amps, but I'm learning more each day. So I guess that answers my next question - I guess this a fixed bias as opposed to a cathode bias amp? Otherwise I wouldn't need a bias pot, right? I appreciate the advice - please be patient, I'm learning!

9. wildbill59

wildbill59 TDPRI Member

Good to know, thanks for the advice. Looks like my filter caps are two big Mallory caps with the metal covers - 40/40s? I dropped off the amp today, I'll see what my tech says - probably wouldn't hurt to change them out. And thanks for the congrats, I think I'm gonna love this amp!

flyswatter likes this.
  10. wildbill59

wildbill59 TDPRI Member

Thanks, man! Yeah, from the info that I can glean, it's a 1969, but I get conflicting info - some insist it's a 68, while some swear it's a 70. I've heard good things about the G12s, looking forward to experimenting with speakers.

11. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Great amp!
    I'm not big on swapping speakers, but it's pretty necessary for that amp.
    That amp is a prime example of how mere quality and tone don't necessarily translate into dollar value.
    Epic bang for the buck.

wildbill59 and galaxiex like this.
  12. flyswatter

Check the serial number

Four digit serial number work like this:
    1966 0XXX
    1967 1XXX
    1968 2XXX
    1969 3XXX
    1970 4XXX
    1971 5XXX

If it's a 7-digit number, the first digit should indicate year (ex. 1XXXXXX would be a 1971).

If it's an original Mallory can cap, the year should be found on the code after the hyphen (ex. XXX-70XXX) would be from 1970.

Also, your logo is clearly late 60s in origin, though I'm not exactly sure the year they switched to the solid plate Traynor logo... some time in the early 70s.

13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I shoulda never sold mine!
    It was the perfect festival amp, with a MIM guitar.
    I could sound great, but didn't have to be fretting too hard about leaving it in the van, backstage, etc...all those times when you're gear is unattended in these situations.
    BTW...I liked it much better with the back off, but that's just me. I never got used to the sound of a closed back.

14. galaxiex

Wow! Thanks for the gut shots. :cool:

Nice clean amp!

Mine is nowhere that clean, having suffered a fire at one time on one EL-84 socket/tube.
    Scorched the chassis and some wires and even the top metal chassis shield.

Then subjected to indignity of extensive mods.
    Battle scars!

A hole cut in the chassis for an extra pre-amp tube.
    Master volume added (they drilled a hole in the back).
    One of the input jacks had a mid control.
    Triode/pentode switch in the ground switch location.
    The speaker in it was out of an old organ, sounded horrible with all the mods.

I removed all the mods and made some circuit changes.
    The pre-amp, tone controls and reverb are now more "Fendery" but the power section is still Traynor.
    It can sure make those EL-84's sing!

Hope your tech changes the electro caps, those are long past their prime!

Cheers!

Paul in Colorado and wildbill59 like this.
  15. galaxiex

Hi flyswatter, just a little FYI, :)

My Guitar Mate has a serial # 22244.

On a different forum I asked about this, and this is the reply I got...

So if anyone has questions about their amp, it seems Yorkville still has records about these.

I've never contacted them, but apparently they can be very helpful with vintage stuff.

Cheers!

100_2328.jpg

wildbill59 and flyswatter like this.
  16. flyswatter

Interesting stuff. Dating these amps is quite tricky. I have a YGM-2 about the same age as yours. I'll check the serial number to see if there's any further clues.

wildbill59 likes this.
  17. Ten Over

Ten Over Tele-Meister

Whoa, that's beautiful. Does it still have the original reverb tank?

18. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I had one, didn't quite bond with it. If I could do mods myself I probably would have eventually cracked the code, but at the time I owned it I didn't have a good amp tech and
    didn't want to throw good $ after bad. Nowadays I have a great amp tech so if I came upon one now I would have more confidence that with a little TLC and a good speaker
    it could be turned into a perfect little gig amp.

wildbill59 likes this.
  19. wildbill59

wildbill59 TDPRI Member

I'm thinking so too. But I'm curious about what's in it now - mine came stock with the much-maligned Marsland, but I'm told what I have in there now is a factory replacement! A Traynor fan told me that if your Marsland blew out under warranty, they replaced with an upgraded speaker, and he's sure that's what's in mine. I don't see any names or markings other than that little white tag, those #s don't tell me anything. It's supposed to be a big improvement over the OE, so I'm gonna give it a workout and see how it sounds when I get it back. upload_2019-3-12_22-48-38.png

20. wildbill59

wildbill59 TDPRI Member

Yeah, I read that too - of course, mine is a five digit!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.