Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

my new theory about tube fans

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by mister natural, Apr 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telejon1

telejon1 TDPRI Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Nebraska
    I'm a tube player. Call me a snob if you wish, but it works for me. I had a line 6 once, and I just couldn't get along with it, too many settings, presets, channels, etc., for me. Now, with a vox and a recently completed 5e3, I plug in, crank it and it sounds good. It works for me. That's the key, though, isn't it. It works FOR ME! if something else works for you, great. I heard a guy playing a Mustang at a gig recently that sounded really good. It worked for him. You know what I did at their first break? I walked right up to him, looked at his amp, and said "Hey man, I love your tone."

With all that said, it seems interesting to me that the music industry has invested many thousands of hours to develop new digital technology to sound as good as tube amps built decades ago.

2. BenM

BenM Tele-Meister

May 5, 2010
    Des Moines, IA
    Troll="kick the hornet nest" guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

3. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    This speaks volumes about your character. You're not a tube snob in anyone's book, and like you said - you're a tube player… a fellow musician with a healthy respect for others and whichever gear they choose to use.

When the electric guitar was invented, no one actually sat down and said, "this is what a guitar amp should sound like, and set out to make a tube amp from scratch. It just so happened that all amplifiers of the day were tube amps.

It was only when amplification improved over the years that it became apparent that the imperfections and inefficiencies of a tube amp is what actually made it very musical and ideal for guitar amplification. (And not all tube amp designs were good for this purpose).

Digital technology today is a tool like any other… it's just being utilised to marry the advantages of transistor technology together with the organic and pleasing audio behaviour of tube amps. The earlier attempts were poor, but that's changing rapidly… as this digital tube modelling technology is still just in its infancy.

Where things go sad is when musicians get all twisted-up and polarised by change. We had the steam engine, the petrol engine, and soon electric powered vehicles will probably take us from A to B. We went from LP vinyls, to tape reels, to tape cassettes, to CDs, to MP3s, and on and on it goes.

Whether we like it or not (no matter who's using what type of guitar amp), once a music album or video recording is released, that music is likely going to be purchased and played by the buying public in some type of digital form. This is the commercial reality - we are now living in a digital world. I recon we just need to relax and not fall prey to troll-threads like these.

4. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer the term "connoisseur":

A connoisseur (French traditional (pre-1835) spelling of connaisseur, from Middle-French connoistre, then connaître meaning "to be acquainted with" or "to know somebody/something.") is a person who has a great deal of knowledge about the fine arts, cuisines, or an expert judge in matters of taste. In many areas the term now has an air of pretension, and may be used in a partly ironic sense, but in the art trade connoisseurship remains a crucial skill for the identification and attribution to individual artists of works, where documentary evidence of provenance is lacking. The situation in the wine trade is similar, for example in assessing the potential for ageing in a young wine through wine tasting.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connoisseur

I believe that this is a much better definition of the average person who is a tube lover.

With all this in mind this qualifies me to be a connoisseur of double cheeseburgers, and not much else.

5. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    But not a cork-sniffer, right? I mean, say it isn't so.

6. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

Well, I think that goes without saying. We are talking in the larger term here of a greater field of knowledge and experience.
    I see long haired musicians sitting around Gruhns Guitars, not little lord fauntleroy lace collars and cuffs. :lol:

7. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

It has to do with superior electrons, everybody who is anybody knows that.

8. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    :lol:Long haired Tube snob:

Attached Files:

9. TDPRI

TDPRI Administrator Staff Member

Mar 2, 2003
    TDPRILAND
    Admin Post
    In case you didn't know the textbook definition of a TROLL is someone that "kicks the hornet nest" to "see what happens".

By the way... it's our definition around here as well.

10. petey twofinger

petey twofinger TDPRI Member

Mar 13, 2013
    illinois
    what an exiting time to be a musician / alive . cant we all just get along ?

i have seen guys get very upset irl when i attempt to discuss gear with them . the les paul / tube amp guy does not wish to discuss gear because he does not understand how to use it , is terrified , deep down , knows he is wrong .

i embrace all technology , as best i can .

i would not want to limit myself .

at some point , digital will / has caught up . ie ... the kemper . i often think how well a tube guy could do , if they opened their mind to the possibilitys , and often times i think that both sides of this coin are speaking out of ignorance ... personally , i am aware of both , they both have their function . i do not use tube amps on a regular basis , for the convienience factor , but i have used them , i do own them , and yes ... i can get those sounds with my digital rig . sorry , lol .

i also write original music rather than play covers in a bar so ... there you have it , i am a real weirdo / do not fit in ...

great thread .

11. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    you must be joking.

I use a les paul and a tube amp.

I understand how to use it, I'm not terrified of you or anybody, and I dont think solid state or tubes are right or wrong.

12. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

kicking the hornets nest as was so aptly commented on in the first page IS TROLLING.

Mr. Natural, the next time I catch you trolling you will have a 30 vacation from the site.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.