Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

my new theory about tube fans

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by mister natural, Apr 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mister natural

mister natural TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2014
    michigan
    1. haters are gonna hate
    2. tube snobs are always gonna be tube snobs

. . . discuss

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2014

2. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

Nov 8, 2009
    New York
    I'm not sure what there is to discuss. It sounds like you're trolling.

3. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Aug 21, 2011
    ashland kentucky
    Why try and put a label on anyone ?

All I know is as far as new vs NOS is that the Metro Amps JTM 45/100 clone wont run Modern Tubes at Full Bias because they cant take it.

Is that being a snob using NOS because a modern tube cant take the voltage ?

Sometimes there is a reason to use NOS.

4. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

5. mister natural

mister natural TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2014
    michigan
    yeah - Max, I see why you might think that - but it's really not me to be a troll.
    I'm more of a "kick the hornet nest" & see what happens kind of guy
    :=)

I'm also pretty certain that this is the 21st century and my very limited google-istic research tells me that tube amplifier technology was last refined in 1939. So many guitar players are virtually married to the idea that what was a cool tone(cranked to freakin 11) in 1973; is still the ideal.

This is a unique sub-forum with the title, "modeling amps . . ."
    I would have to think this is a "safe" place to discuss such heresy

peace

6. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Illinois
    my new theory about tube snobs

I've been having a tube vs modeling war in my head the last several days. I love the sound of tubes. They're so pure and natural and organic. But I also enjoy my mustang III. Its super over the top versatile.
    With two little black boxes I can have a fairly functional pedal board, that doesn't involve multiple cables, power supplies, batteries, a case, and hundreds upon hundreds of dollars.
    However, it does require a fair amount of time to get the models to where they sound like an acceptable substitute for tube sound. And really, that's what we're all after when we play with these digital toys.

Have you ever zoomed in really close to an image on your PC? It's all pixels. That's what these digital amps are, pixels. Tube amps are like actual photographs from film. All the little jagged corners are nice and round and more pleasing to the ear. But we've come along way in both fields to where it's getting really hard to tell the difference.

7. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Context would help if you want a discussion. What is your definition of a tube snob?

8. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2008
    Brisbane Australia
    Actually, old chap, it is valve, not tube.

9. nattaruk

nattaruk Tele-Meister

Feb 15, 2011
    London
    Ah, yes. I well remember the joys of childhood summer afternoon's wandering through the orchards watching the sun glint on the glass as the valves ripened. Nothing compares to the refreshing taste of an el34 picked fresh from the tree....

:p

10. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    my new theory about trolls:

post a thread about hating other people, then claim "haters gonna hate"

11. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    trolls are gonna troll

sorry... hornets nest kickers are gonna kick hornets nests

12. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Illinois

I know your kind of making fun of me, but man, that's too funny :lol:

13. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    Illinois
    I'm thinking about kicking the tube habit all together. Are there meetings or something for that?

14. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2011
    Arkansas
    I have a few tube amps that I like alot. I also have a Vox Tonelab LE (the older big sliver one) modeller that I use most of the time. It is the ultimate practice tool and I use it in some form or the other when I play. From time to time, after fiddling with all of the buttons and knobs, I pull out an old Fender or the Special 6 and just plug straight in. And it brings me back. I find that I get lost in the options and the old tube amp reminds me what I am looking for.... The tube is the "standard"..... the modeller is the tool.

15. GeoB

GeoB Tele-Holic

Jun 11, 2012
    Tidewater Virginia
    I don't have valve amps any longer. Back in the 80's when the technology was banned by the EPA in the U.S. manufacturing moved offshore (Eastern Bloc if memory serves). The old manufacturing equipment was sold and U.S. tube industry was thereby declared extinct.

Do you remember that? Do you also remember how hard it was for a while to get tubes. I was lucky. My dad had a sizable stash of tubes, RCA, Sylvania etc... and there enough 6L6's and 12Ax... to keep me in valves for a few years.

I went tubeless not long there after. I did have an old solid state Heathkit and several valve amps. The valves and the amps were eventually sold. The SovTec stuff showed up but the quality was down and I was gigging regular so I went to Tech21 for guitar amps (Trademark 60) and Hartke for bass and Carvin for bass and PA. I also have a beater Peavey Audition 110 which does okay around the house.

And that's my story of going from valves/tubes to tubeless. Tube wise I had an old Fender DL that fetched a nice price, a Sunn 2000S, a Silvertone, a Bassman, and my first Bass amp which was a 75+ watt Wurlitzer juke box amp through a homebrew 15" cab.

The Tech21 does a fine job and gives me some extra sounds (dialed in not push button). Has never failed me. Can take serious bumps and still function properly, and is very portable.

Would I go back to tubes? I doubt it. I have seen, played, and heard many new tube amps such as Vox AC-30, Peavey Blues (with a 15 and a trem), some newish Fenders DL's etc... they are all very nice. The tradeoff for me is that my Tech21 has more than paid for itself and I don't have to worry about bumps and replacement tubes or carry extra tubes just in case. The Hartke and the Carvin stuff works great as well.

Soooo.... my needs are few and tubes are no longer in my rig. Good or bad? I dunno, sounds just fine to me.

16. dblues

dblues Tele-Holic

Apr 3, 2011
    smyrna tn
    Tube amps smell better too. Take that haters.

17. loopy reed

loopy reed Tele-Afflicted

Nov 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Mild trolling, but I see the bigger picture.

Tube amps are great. I've had some great solid state amps. I've had a couple of great hybrid tube-solid state amps too.

Ultimately they all make your guitar louder, and that's why we all started doing this in the first place.

18. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

Nov 7, 2010
    Maryland
    What a plebeian snob theory. If I had a theory about snobs, it would surely be much better and more refined and sophisticated than this one.

19. mudbelly

mudbelly Tele-Meister

May 19, 2012
    United States
    I usually gig tubes. If it's a loud gig I feel confident that I'll have the sounds I need. Sometimes at rehearsal I will bring my 25 watt SS Fender Frontman. The guys in the band have no idea it's SS. They can't tell the difference.

20. shovelrider

shovelrider Tele-Afflicted

Jan 2, 2013
    Chicago
    I like all kinds of tubes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.