Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My new Roland Blues Cube Stage arrived today, I'm not happy

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by rad1, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Twang Banger

Twang Banger Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fla

2. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Not a very effective one though - only asking 20 bucks and won’t even take payment from any of the identified methods...

3. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    It shouldn't cost more than 20 bucks to ship from China,should it?;)

raysachs likes this.

4. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 TDPRI Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Canada
    I am also in Ontario....:cool::)....I agree with you 100% on going for the Artist.

Lef T likes this.

5. m4ssi86

m4ssi86 TDPRI Member

Sep 13, 2017
    italy
    Hi! i have the roland blues cube artist 1x12....amazing amp! i would like to try the tone capsule, specially Robben ford and ultimate blues
    [​IMG]

Lef T likes this.

6. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2009
    Cologne, Germany
    I had following amps:

- PEAVEY Bandit
    - Twin Reverb
    - Vibrolux
    - Blues Deluxe
    - Super-ChampX2
    - Blues Junior
    - ENGL Classic
    - Marshall Vintage Modern
    - Kitty Hawk

I sold all of them except:

- PEAVEY Bandit (lightweight, good sound, reliable, needs no service)

Jakedog likes this.

7. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    I got home a couple hours ago. I unpacked the Cube and the first thing I noticed was the great fit and finish. The blond finish looks much better in person.

I plugged in and instantly, with about everything set at 12 o'clock, the tone was great. I turned a couple dials and it got even better. There is no question that that both the clean tone and crunch channel gives better tone than anything I got out of the Katana 50 or Fender GT100. so far I'm sold....and, no software to mess with. I think Roland has really captured a good tube sound with this amp. Unlike a tube amp it still has that good tone down at the low volumes that I have to use in my house.

Only down side, it ain't cheap

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    ac15, raysachs, joebloggs13 and 3 others like this.

8. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    I think Roland has captured a good sound period.
    When I tried the Stage out,it was instant gratification and I just kept playing,
    smiling away,thinking "Wow,my Tele and this amp sound great."
    I wasn't thinking "Is this solid state or tubes?"

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    joebloggs13, Jakedog and rad1 like this.

9. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

Jan 29, 2010
    Marietta,GA
    I've got the "Hot" and the Artist. Exceptional sounds. I also have the 40gx and 80gx, I might have to sell my tube amps, or just a couple.

Lef T likes this.

10. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    If the Artist was priced the same as the stage, as was mentioned it is in Canada, I would have gone for that even though I don't need an amp that size.

I may be the only one but I'm getting a kick out of the dual channel option.

I do miss having an aux input for my iPad or phone but I'm just going to utilize a small mixer to get my backing tracks.

Lef T likes this.

11. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    Well rad1,
    Can we now say that you are happy with your new amp?

12. fjlauer

fjlauer TDPRI Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Winter Garden, FL
    What was the issue with the Katana, I was thinking it would make a good practice amp in my office. Other than the software and the device recognition. Anything major?

13. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    The Katana had a very good tone and for the money it is a great amp. Had the software worked for me I would still have it.

No question about it

And thanks for keeping the thread alive until I got home.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    fjlauer and Lef T like this.

14. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 TDPRI Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Canada
    Hi rad1, congrats on the amp! I run a boss rc-3 Looper pedal in my effects loop and I am able to download, then covert backing tracks from YouTube and save them on the Looper pedal, which has 3hrs of onboard memory. It's a very compact/easy way to have your backing/practice tracks. Works great!

15. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    So, backing tracks aside, I assume that if you place a looper in the effects loop, you could record and loop a rhythm track using clean settings and then play lead with a higher gain setting and the clean sound would still be there on the looped part? That's something that would really appeal to me. I tend to keep my rhythm and lead sounds pretty close to the same (and fairly clean) with the looper in front of my amp, since it doesn't have an effects loop.

-Ray

16. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 TDPRI Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Canada
    Yes, whatever is recorded will remain as is. It's a remarkable little pedal. Not cheap, but well worth it. Talking about backing tracks, I have the BB King track The Thrill is Gone on the pedal and it even has BB's vocals. Pretty cool:cool:

17. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    No way! I just picked up an rc3 a couple weeks ago and I'm just getting the hang of the basics. I think I better find a good "how to" video about that looper.

18. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Yeah, I get how the pedal works - I have a looper, although a more basic one. But I'm wondering about the difference between putting it in front of the amp vs in the effects loop. I know from my own experience that if it's in front of the amp, anything on the looper is gonna be affected by the amp settings, so you wouldn't want to play your BB King backing track that way on anything but the cleanest amp settings. I'm just wondering how well it works in the effects loop where I assume it would NOT be affected by any pre-amp breakup, but still would be by any power amp breakup? I realize the easiest way to make it work is with an overdrive pedal in front of the looper, but if your amp doesn't take pedals well (mine doesn't - the Blues Cubes do), that's a hard way to go...

-Ray

19. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 TDPRI Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Canada
    I use it in the loop and I can in fact have a clean track in the pedal and play a driven lead over it, without affecting the loops original clean rhythm track.

raysachs likes this.

20. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Glad you like it.

I have an original 90’a Blues Cube, but I like some of the features on the new ones, especially the lighter weight. The original ones were a bit heavier especially for a solid state amp.

Having said that, I only paid $300 or so for it.

bgavin335 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.