Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My new Roland Blues Cube Stage arrived today, I'm not happy

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by rad1, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    Hey rad1,
    We're doing a good job of keeping this thread alive till you finally get home and try out the Stage.

2. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    I'm trying to enjoy my vacation, but I can't stop thinking about the cube. One thing that attracted me to it was its simplicity because those last two amps sounded good but their software was complicated and did not work as advertised.

Lef T likes this.

3. markal

markal Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    Can't get much simpler than the Blues Cube. Pretty much just traditional amp controls, with the option to change the voice with a plug-in tone capsule.

Lef T likes this.

4. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Meister

Jun 14, 2017
    Canada
    Another Artists owner here. Also have the GA-FC switch, which makes an excellent amp even better. I currently run 5 pedals in the loop( RC-3, DD-7, MXR M300, MXR Chorus, MXR Phase 95) and 3 dirt pedals and a Wah in front. Lately tho, I have been just playing the amp sans pedals, or just one dirt, and using volume controls on guitar. The tones are killer! You will love your Stage! Congrats.

Lef T and Jakedog like this.

5. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    I see, so it’s basically the software not playing ball with your laptop. That kind of sucks ☹️ and really something these amp manufacturers need to resolve, especially since OS for mobile devices and PCs seem to move ahead so quickly, and we tone hounds seem so comfortable being stuck in yesterday’s tech, myself especially!

It does seem like the amp by itself works well, and plenty of sounds can be yielded just through its onboard controls. I think the whole “digging for more sounds through outboard equipment” is something they need to resolve before a wider audience can buy into it.

6. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I played the little “hot” model for a while and found it the least “thin” sounding amp at bedroom volumes I’ve tried, and that was mostly at .5w. Although I did play it at 5 or 15w for clean tones sometimes. Loved the sound of that amp!

For those who have played either the stage or artist and the Hot, does the hot, with its single channel, get to the same gain sounds as the other two, just lacking the convenience of a second channel? Or do the two channels give them more versatility as well as convenience? Not too concerned with the dual tone, tremolo, or effects loop. Just wondering whether the second channel adds more than switching convenience?

-Ray

7. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2017
    Switzerland
    I'm a happy owner and user of the bc hot. I trick guys and roadies at every gig. They say my sound is wonderful, I take them on stage and I show them the bc hot. They always check if there's no tube hidden somewhere and they say:"**** now I want one of those".

Then I show them the usb stuff and here we usually wonder if this could become a cigarette holder. The tech guys love it. I tell 'hem I wanna go out with the usb cable and they watch me wonderin' if I'm serious and if they have something to do it. Of course I'm not serious.

Enjoy your waitin' in the woods before the honeymoon at home.

raysachs and Lef T like this.

8. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2013
    UK
    I have the Artist. Fills almost every need. It's got, as someone said, 'soul.' I cannot believe how valve-like the response to pedals is.

What I would really like to see is a head the size of the Quilter Micropro.

Lef T and DaphneBlue like this.

9. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA

The gt100 worked well with my computer and the Fender tone studio was great. Its problem really was reliability based around either the software or firmware. Volume started dropping then spiking and as I tried to fix that following the manufacturers recommendations other aspects of the software interface failed. Truth be told, I was sort of glad because the sound from the amp was not acceptable unless I utilized the vast array of settings and created a good sound. I grew tired of that for I saved all those settings but lost them all having to do a forced update to solve the volume problem.

As for the Katana, it had a great sound right out of the box. You are correct, the manufacturers need to make these amps play well with others for the Boss software refused to load onto my laptop.

I have a Yamaha THR10 that I travel with, I have it with me. It is a fantastic sounding little amp and the Yamaha software works perfectly on my laptop.

My oldest daughter sent me a photo of the Cube still in the box from Sweetwater setting in the house. She is cruel.

Grateful Ape and Lef T like this.

10. markal

markal Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    I had a Hot first, then got the Artist, and both for a month or so. My impression is that the Hot is voiced like the clean channel on the Artist. The Hot does not have a presence control but it sounds like it has a preset presence pretty high. The gain is very similar. I usually ran the Hot at an edge of break up tone and used pedal to goose it. I did not like the boost function (on the Hot or Artist).

The crunch channel on the Artist is voiced a little differently, a little mids I would say. It does allow more crunchy gain, but the boost sounds similar.

raysachs likes this.

11. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA

12. raysachs

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Thanks. So if I ever decide to go for one of these I'll probably just stick with the Hot and use my tube screamer clone for a bit more drive at times. There's no way I need more power than the Hot - I don't need anything near it's 30 watts.

But as a man-cave player, I'm really enjoying my Vox modeling amp - never had presets before and love dialing 6-8 great sounds and having them available at the touch of a button. That's a new experience to me and one I really like immensely. None of those half dozen presets sound as good as the basic sound of the BC Hot, but they sound pretty damn good and the versatility is working for me. So for now I'm not looking, but I when I played the Hot, I dug it immensely and can't get it out of the back of my mind. Someday it'll probably work it's way back to the front...

13. markal

markal Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    I see them used for $350. I sold mine for $325. I agree that for home playing the Hot is more than enough. I used at jams and rehearsals and it hung just fine. GAS led to my acquisition of the BCA.

raysachs likes this.

14. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Meister

Jun 14, 2017
    Canada
    If I had the cash I would get the Blues Cube Tour head and the cab. Two effects loops with the ability to go stereo....the tonal possibilities would be endless.

15. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    The head is nice and you have separate eq for the crunch channel too plus another 20 watts,but now you have a head and a cab to haul around.
    The Stage and Artist interest me because they are an easy grab n go solution.
    I'm from Canada also and the Roland amps cost more here than in the U.S.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017

16. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Meister

Jun 14, 2017
    Canada
    Yes the Roland amp do cost more up here....I am from Canada as well. :) But the white Artists is the same price as the Stage at L&M.....go figure....which is why I went for the Artist.

17. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    What didn't you like about the boost?
    Not enough boost or too much of a change in tone?

18. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    I'm in Ontario and Cosmo Music has the Artist or Stage priced the same at $999.
    Doesn't make sense really,why anyone wouldn't take the Artist at the same price.

19. raysachs

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Lef T likes this.

20. Twang Banger

Twang Banger Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fla
    Country gigged last night with my Blues Cube Artist and NY Blues tone capsule. Wow, if I could chicken pick, they would have thought it was Brad Paisley ... i was playing a Music Man Albert Lee SSS ... sounded very good. Very happy with that there amp. Bonus is, it is a heck of a lot lighter than any of my tube amps. Schweet.

Jakedog and Lef T like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.