Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My new Roland Blues Cube Stage arrived today, I'm not happy

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by rad1, Sep 27, 2017.

1. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    I'm 300 miles away and won't be home for a week! Oh well, at least I have my Telecaster with me.

brookdalebill likes this.

2. RedRock

RedRock Tele-Holic

Jun 1, 2008
    Nevada

3. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    I tried out a Stage at the music store.
    I was very impressed.
    Nice amp.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I see one of those in my future, too.
    Cool!

5. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    In the last couple months I have been through a Katana 50 and a Fender gt100, returned both. I'm hoping this one works out for me.

6. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    In the last couple months I have been through a Katana 50 and a Fender gt100, returned both. I'm hoping this one works out for me.

7. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA

8. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    Triple post, sorry

I'm off camping and there is very questionable wifi.

src9000 likes this.

9. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    I'm getting the impression that in the last couple of months, you've been through a Katana 50 and a Fender gt100, and returned them both...

10. markal

markal Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    Yeah, but have you tried Katana or mustang gt100? :)

I have a Blues Cube Artist. Had the 30w Hot version before. Great amps. Enjoy.

Piggy Stu and DaphneBlue like this.

11. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    OP: about the Katana 50, what was it that you felt it was not your kind of thing?

I’m kind of curious because I’ve only heard it once live and I have a split group of friends who like and dislike it for varying reasons.

12. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    I'm looking seriously at getting an Artist.
    I got to check out a Stage at a music store and really liked it,but would like the extra options of the Artist and I'd like it in black.
    I've forever been a tube guy,but I liked the sound of the Stage, and the Artist is only 35 lbs.
    Are you playing your amp stock?
    Plenty of clean headroom in the 80 watt mode?.

13. markal

markal Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    I play it stock, but may try a tone capsule eventually. I never run it at 80w! Was playing a band earlier this year. We played blues and classic rock. For rehearsals in a small space I ran it on 15 w for slight breakup (mostly clean channel) and 45w for chimey cleans. At a gig at a large bar I ran it at 45 w and used my pedals to get a bit more drive.

At home I run it on 15 watts. I find it sounds a little too thin on .5w.

I'm not much for trem and have never had an amp with god trem so I can't comment on it. I like the presence control (which the other BCs don't have). I run it above 5 most of the time. The amp is voiced a little dark in my opinion. I guess it's modeled after a tweed bassman.

I have yet to use the effects loop. I use a slight delay and it sounds fine into the front, even on the crunch channel. I just added a reverb pedal to my board (digitech polara) but so far have used into the front and not the loop. I don't have the Boss foot switch yet but like the idea of controlling the loop with the switch.

I love the amp. I think it sounds amazing at a wide range of volumes. Many say it's too expensive for SS but it's worth it to me.

Several threads over at the gear page praise the BCA too.

Jakedog and Lef T like this.

14. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    Thanks for the great reply markal.
    I'm not really a pedal guy,but would run a subtle delay in the loop.
    With the Roland footswitch,I could sit the delay pedal on the amp and could use the footswitch for delay on and off.
    One thing I noticed was the reverb on the amp has a slight predelay,but not enough to
    bother me and the reverb does sound very good.
    Sounds like the Artist would be right up my alley.

15. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    If you go with an Artist (I have a 2x12), make sure you budget for a GA-FC controller if you don't have one already. It makes a great amp amazing, with so much added functionality. It also accepts 2 expression pedals for input volume and master volume control

gafc.jpg

Lef T likes this.

16. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    For sure,I'd get the footswitch.

Hexabuzz likes this.

17. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    Does the Artist run quietly ?
    No hiss or hum when running at idle?
    When I tried the Stage,I didn't notice any noise coming from it.

18. markal

markal Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    Single coils create some hum when there's some gain (either in the crunch channel or thru a pedal). Other than that it's pretty quiet.

Lef T likes this.

19. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    [​IMG]

20. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA

The Katana had a beautiful clean tone, even at low volume and it was easy to find. I could not get the Boss tone software on my lap top to recognize the amp so I traded the amp back in.

vernon and Crawldaddy like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.