Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My new album. You won't like it.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by hemingway, Nov 14, 2017 at 4:33 AM.

1. El Jeffe

El Jeffe TDPRI Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Eugene
    I like it a lot. Good singer songwriter material, nice clean guitar tones. Someone said something about out of tune guitars but I didn't notice it when perusing. And the people who say they don't like it could always go f*ck themselves already.

popthree likes this.

2. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

sounds good to me. i like the songwriting, and i think the production is pretty good. it's better than i can pull off that's for sure. did you have anyone master it or did you do it all yourself?

3. holdonphoton

holdonphoton Tele-Holic

Jul 17, 2013
    ALABAMA
    Nicely done! I hear some Van in there and definitely the spirit of Warren Zevon. Dig the solo on the last track too. I completely agree with your statement: "But my real influences were friends who make original music year after year, for little reward or thanks and quite a lot of disappointment, ridicule, and indifference. "

Same here and we look forward to the next release!

4. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Thanks. I did the mastering and it was total trial and error. The recording was done on a Zoom R16 just using the studio's condenser mics.

I haven't recorded anything since the late 80s when I had a Tascam 4-track. So it was all a learning experience.

I'm going to get a better mic for the next batch.

5. hemingway

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Can't argue with the spirit of Warren. I'm listening to Splendid Isolation as I type this.

6. hemingway

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Ha ha. I don't mind if people don't like it - but I'm pretty sure my guitars were in tune . . . most of the time.

7. El Jeffe

El Jeffe TDPRI Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Eugene
    Haha. I thought the leads complimented the songs as well! Keep making music.

8. VOXTOTHEMAX

VOXTOTHEMAX TDPRI Member

Jan 28, 2015
    California
    Dude, weird things happen sometimes. I got the blues the urban middle aged white man blues. Oddly enough your song describes how I feel right now. Luckily here in CA we got a cure for that and it’s finally legal. Your song made me laugh as I get older and the world changes I am reminded of the British saying “Keep Calm and Carry On. So what if I text in complete sentences and use proper grammar!!! At least I am texting. I just bought your song!!! Life is weird sometimes.

hemingway likes this.

9. Finck

Finck TDPRI Member

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    Good music is good music independent of style!

10. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 8, 2008
    Maryland
    Nothing wrong with it. Sometimes it seems a bit derivative; reminded me of Dylan's No Mercy album.
    Your singing voice reminds me of Lou Reed. I really like the solo in Don't Like the Blues. Keep at it.

11. hemingway

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I won't argue with derivative, and I'll totally take Oh Mercy and Lou Reed.

And someone likes one of my solos! I AM COMPLETE!!

adamsappel and richiek65 like this.

12. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    I can't find anything to criticize. I think it sounds pretty dang good.

hemingway likes this.

13. hemingway

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    What can I say?? I don't argue with paying customers. Now if I can just reach another half million alienated middle-aged men my future is made.

VOXTOTHEMAX likes this.

14. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs
    You did all those drums with a SR16? I have one....damn....another tool I have no idea how to use.

I had to check in due to the comments. Nice job, really. I have so little patience for recording, or even perfection, I'm quite impressed.

15. hemingway

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Thanks. The manual for the Alesis is less than useless. It's all trial and error.

16. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    I decided to like it just for spite. :)

Seriously, I thought you did a great job. Lots of cool melodies and lyrics. Keep up the good work. It’s nice to see someone making their own stuff. Mimicry gets old fast for me.

hemingway likes this.

17. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2012
    england
    I like it you got talent keep up the good work .. one thing i would suggest the drums are bit too midi sounding drum machines are great for making a structure once you have it mapped out it is easy to edit real acoustic samples just copy and paste individual hit samples over your mapped out parts more so the kick and snare
    it is time consuming but if you ain't got a drummer a real acoustic sample is the next best thing
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Real-Dru...112364?hash=item3625b8f52c:g:Ix4AAOSwLEtYmcKY

hemingway likes this.

18. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2013
    DC Burbs

Yeah but I guess I have not been inspired enough to really work out a drum part for anything. I use it as a practice tool, but even still. To hear that much done with it as you have, makes me want to spend some time trying to do better.

hemingway likes this.

19. hemingway

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Thanks again for the kind comments. I might well have a look at playing with the drums more. I really didn't edit them at all. Lazy.

20. kkphoto

kkphoto TDPRI Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Great song writing! Room full of love reminds me of Nick Lowe... which is never a bad thing!

hemingway likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.