Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My new album. You won't like it.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by hemingway, Nov 14, 2017.

1. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I triple dog dare you to like it.

I spent all my spare time doing this for 9 months. Then I wondered if it was worth it.

Of course it was worth it. Even if no one gives a rat's rear end.

https://grantstewart.bandcamp.com/releases

I used lots of guitars - mainly a Guild Newark Street 175 - but there is a Baja in there too in places.

Influences on here? Well, I could say Neil Young, Van Morrison, Leonard Cohen, Dylan.

But my real influences were friends who make original music year after year, for little reward or thanks and quite a lot of disappointment, ridicule, and indifference.

Those friends inspired me to get off my old butt and play again.

You won't like it.

emisilly likes this.

2. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    I listened to the first two songs Grant. I think you've got the gift-a good feel for writing. The melody is there and the words flow naturally. Now the recording and production quality isn't quite there imo but I'd much rather have good tunes and a decent recording as opposed to the opposite. That other stuff will come if you keep at it.

So keep at it.

Viejo likes this.

3. hemingway

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK

Thanks so much for listening and for your kind comments - you're obviously a person of taste (ahem)

Yes, I wasn't too worried about the recording quality, largely because I don't have the gear/budget to get too obsessive about it. And I figured that a lot of the older music I listen to sounds a little muddy in places, but people still love it. Never hurt Otis Redding.

4. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    holdonphoton likes this.

5. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Holic

Nov 17, 2010
    Arizona
    Can't give it a go right now, but I can later today. But if your influences are any indication of what you do, i am looking forewars to it.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017

6. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Track 7 is very Dylanesque..

7. hemingway

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I'll take that as a compliment. I did have a cold when I did the vocal.

BuckSatan and MA6200 like this.

8. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I thought the first song was the weakest. It got better from there.

Good singing, can hear some Van Morrison influences. The guitar playing was a little out of tune for my liking.

Songs after the first one were good. Maybe get another lead guitar player and a real drummer.

9. hemingway

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Thanks. I was going for a kind of slightly rough, guys-rehearsing-in-a-garage kind of feel. With the lead guitar I was trying to channel Neil Young at times, although I'm not sure it came out that way. It's certainly not slick and not meant to be.

songtalk likes this.

10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Drum loops are for more convenient for home recording. Miking up a drum kit (properly) is an art form in and of itself and most people don't have the capability to do this. Plus, you're dealing with a drummer.....

hemingway likes this.

11. Finck

Finck TDPRI Member

Oct 11, 2017
    São Paulo - Brazil
    Not my cup of tea, since I'm basically a death metal guy. But very well done. I'd like to have skills to do something like that. Congratulations!

12. hemingway

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Thanks a lot - and somehow a compliment from a death metal guy is even better!

Sconnie, Finck and noah330 like this.

13. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    agreed, I dont like it
    no doubt others do

14. robinn

robinn TDPRI Member

Sep 20, 2013
    Belgium
    I dig it Grant. I think you know what a good tune should sound like. Things We Know stands out for me.

hemingway likes this.

15. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Not that hard to mix drums. I do it all the time and my room is pretty small. Makes a huge difference.

16. hemingway

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Not a problem - but thanks a lot for taking the time to listen

17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I said "properly". That's why there are drummers in Nashville who will lay down drum tracks for $100/song, recorded in a proper recording environment, and send the WAV files for you to import back into your song. Anyone can mic drums, but not everyone is equipped to do it properly.

18. hemingway

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    You also need to know a decent drummer, have a place to record them, have the time, not be a single parent with a full-time job and a limited budget et etc.

So all in all I'm okay with the Alesis SR 16

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

19. draggindakota

draggindakota TDPRI Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Lehigh Acres, Florida
    Musically, I like it. I dig most of the songs, and the guitar playing is great. Agree with others, the mix / recording needs some work but I've heard way worse self produced stuff.

20. hemingway

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Huge thanks yet again - what a great community this is.

elihu likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.