Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My new $27 backup amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by charlie chitlin, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    I keep an American Sound in my gig box... It's the emergency pedal.

I used it one time at one of the jams I host. I was being nice to the young kid who got up and did a couple of numbers before I got back up with him. It was easier than unpluggin and pluggin back in, etc. It actually surprised me at how good it sounded.

It won't replace my Twin just yet... Or, even my 5e3. But, it'll work when other things crap the cot!

Vladimir likes this.

2. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    This. I do it too. Have never used it, but could. I'd put it between the PA and the pedalboard and finish the gig. I carry a full set of tubes, extra cables, fuses, etc. Too much Boy Scout in me I guess!

Axis29 and Mugs like this.

3. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I'm with ya! I'm buggy about spares.
    I even carry tools and a soldering iron.
    But I'm getting tired of hauling a whole amp for the rare occasions I need it.

Axis29 and PhredE like this.

4. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I have the American and the Voxy one - I don't get the love for these, at all. I tried them out as fake amps into a real clean SS amp, and I tried thinking of them as distortion pedals. Total suck both ways, so much so that I lost any desire to mess more with them. The AC Tone didn't sound like any Vox I had ever played, at all. I didn't try them direct into a DAW or PA, is that how they are supposed to be used?

5. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    I believe they have built in speaker cabinet emulation... So, I think the best use fo them is direct into the PA. But, I have read fo others who use them in their pedal chain.

I know the Tech21 pedals these are supposed clones of usually have a way it turn off the cab sim.

6. Dadzmad

Dadzmad TDPRI Member

Sep 17, 2014
    Wisconsin USA
    I have one of these Joyo American Sound pedals. A very useful piece of kit. During the cold months I use this as my primary in the house amp going to an old ss stereo amp and 4 small speakers. I am mainly a straight into the amp kind of player but these can really get a range of sounds out of both ss and tube amps. It takes some fiddling to find what works but in the end it was the best 30 bucks I've spent on gear I really could live without.

7. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    i use this and british for playing into mixer at night,,these bad boys have some serious tone..

8. Dan Spiffy Neuman

Dan Spiffy Neuman Tele-Holic

Apr 4, 2016
    Madison, WI
    Nothing like the Tech 21.

GREAT pedal for $30.

9. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    They are best used into a DAW or PA. Putting them into a guitar amp that has it's own sound is unpredictable. Some use these as effect pedals with success but that is not really the intention of its design. The American does a really great job into a PA.

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    That's true. My Tech21 Sansamp sounds pretty bad through any of my tube amps. However, it sounds great going into a board or into the clean channel on my Peavey Bandit.

11. Salsg

Salsg TDPRI Member

Apr 12, 2018
    SoCal
    I was looking into backup solutions for gigging and came across this thread.

So I pickup up one of the Joyo for $27, figured what the hell, it's only $27!

I was looking into back up amps, or a multi effects processor.

Glad I came across this because this little inexpensive pedal is a quick and easy solution.

And it doesnt sound too bad either! So far I am using it clean into the pa, with a Death Rattle in front for dirt and it good enough to get thru a gig if my marshall jvm goes down.
    Since I already have a delay, reverb etc on my board it would be quick to transition going direct as an emergency.

And i was about to spend another $600 for a backup marshall. Glad i dont have to lug around something else.

And turning the pedal off, the sound is horrible.

Best $27 ever spent

Georox and Dan Spiffy Neuman like this.

12. Dan Spiffy Neuman

Dan Spiffy Neuman Tele-Holic

Apr 4, 2016
    Madison, WI
    I prefer the Behringer GDI21 for an amp sim. The American Sound is pretty good though.

13. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    I have their bass amp emulator thing which does a good job, too

we are spoiled I tells ya

14. scottser

scottser Tele-Holic

Mar 6, 2009
    dublin
    Apropos of nothing, I had my tele into a Boss fdr1, then PA for a support gig a while back. I thought it sounded great, if a little too clean. Anyone I asked just looks at me weird and said 'it sounds like you, doofus'. The boss ge7 eq is another good one for straight in.

15. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    A local craftsman friend built this for me a few years ago.
    An all-in-one tube amp/headphone amp.
    Line straight out to the PA or headphones, though the options of sounds and tones are admittedly limited.
    It IS really cool though.
    And the tubes glow in a comforting fashion.

;)
    tube amp 6.JPG tube amp 3.JPG

16. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany
    I find it sounds terrible into a Tweed amp, but pretty good into a Blackface, like a Princeton Reverb, for instance.

17. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    That's the point. The American sound emulates Fender amps. It needs to go into a non colored system to be used correctly. While it may produce interesting and good results playing it through another guitar amp by using it as an overdrive or eq it's not going to make a Vox, Marshall, or other sound like a Fender. Putting a Fender amp simulator into a Fender amp?

Use it how you like but it is designed to be run through a neutral system.

cactusrob likes this.

18. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

Aug 26, 2009
    Georgia
    I agree. I think that's why my old Pyle SS amp sounds so good with it (it's comparable to an old Sears/Silvertone beginner amp from the 60s/70s, but it really gets loud). This amp is a perfect "blank canvas" for the Joyo pedal.

Sent from my SM-G900V using TDPRI mobile app

19. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

I have the Joyo American and like it (I use it like a pedal into an amp -- I don't have a PA to mess with).
    Most reviews of the AC and British are that they are not nearly as good as the American.

some settings to try

20. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I tested mine through a 5F6A Bassman and it sounded great.
    Of course, it was very low volume...just a clean platform.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.