Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My new $27 backup amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by charlie chitlin, Jun 6, 2018.

1. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    As seldom as I need a backup, this should be fine. A lot easier than carrying a gig-able amp!
    A brief twiddle and I'm pretty impressed!
    Talk about your interactive controls!!!
    Everything seems to affect everything else.
    And, as far as I can tell, EVERY KNOB can raise the volume if you turn it up enough.
    This thing really needs twiddling...there are some terrible sounds available if you're shooting for that tone that nobody likes.
    It's supposed to be like a 5E3, which doesn't have any terrible sounds.
    Anybody have any favorite settings?
    I really like the idea of being able to plunk this thing down by my pedal board and plug it right into the PA if my main amp goes titsup.
    002.JPG

gkterry, Fiesta Red, Georox and 7 others like this.

2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    I’m going to get the “British Sound” one , just as a MIAB pedal.

These are all Tech 21 clones ?

bftfender and cactusrob like this.

3. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    Oh man, I did the same thing but in a nostalgia move...

[​IMG]

I remember my guitar instructor when I was in high school had one of these for a while, I couldn't resist so it sits in the gig bag waiting for a tube to die.

But, that little sucker you got there is even more compact.

And, yes, when it came in the mail I spent a few hours breaking out the old shreds, haven't had that much gain under my fingers in some time.

dotpc and cactusrob like this.

4. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Charlie, there are a s**tload of members here who not only have that as a backup when gigging in case their amp takes a crap and they have to go into PA, but also many others who use that as their main gigging solution.

I'm not ready, nor need this yet. But this American Sound is the one I would get. I don't think I've ever read a negative thing about it.

PhredE and charlie chitlin like this.

5. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

Aug 26, 2009
    Georgia
    I have one (Joyo American Sound ) and i love it with an old Pyle solid state amp I have. Never tried it in a PA and to my ears it doesn't play well with my tube amps. I also like it with my Pathfinder 15R (which now has a 12" speaker)

sabuchan likes this.

6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I've got that thing, too. It's awesome. I may get the Marshall and the Vox one, too

PhredE and cactusrob like this.

7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Don't bother with the AC-Vox one. It's $h1t on your end of the stick. I used it once at rehearsal, then unplugged it and plugged straight into the PA.

Plugging straight into a Yamaha brick PA head was easier and better than the ACtone

I don't know how someone could make something that simultaneously sounded shrill, harsh, muddy and indistinct but this is it. It felt like there was a perceptible delay between hitting the note and it appearing.....

I took a 50% hit on eBay just so I didn't feel guilty about selling it.

moose likes this.

8. jhundt

jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    I got one of those too. I didn't think it sounded so bad, actually I liked the sounds I could get. But it was WAY too noisy, too much background hiss. Virtually unusable at any kind of real-life volume level.

9. dotpc

dotpc TDPRI Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Everett, WA

10. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany

11. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2015
    Germany
    Ah, no. I see the Donner is digital, so not the same.

PhredE likes this.

12. rave

rave Tele-Holic

Jun 17, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I have the Joyo American and use it in front of my amps when I practice because you can quickly dial in a clean to dirty sound. I have never tried it into a PA as I don’t gig anymore but have seen several YouTube videos that should decent. Probably easier than lugging another amp.

The donner looks interesting since it has switchable cab sim.

PhredE and dotpc like this.

13. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Yeah, mine is ok, a bit noisy, key is keeping the drive low. I gigged with it before (a low - volume affair) and thought it was ok. Wanna try the American.

14. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    I had a $27 boat once. It was a 13' Gheenoe that got beat against a dock in a hurricane. The bow was all crushed and the owner put it out for trash pickup. I spent $27 on the materials to fix it.

But the American is the best $27 I ever spent on gear. I even bought one to gift to a friend. I got to tell him I bought him an amp lol.

PhredE, Treeface and Alamo like this.

15. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    I found the British and AC Tone way too noisy for use. I haven't tried the American so I cannot comment.

As for "keeping the drive low" to keep the noise down... IMO that doesn't cut it. Both Marshall and VOX have great mid gain tones, if you can't get them out of these without a freight train of noise what's the purpose.

16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    I want the Brit and American ones for putting in front of my old Cube 60

17. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Cool! Can you get a Peavey Classic tone? I have a friend that wants to be able to empty a room quickly.....

:lol:

18. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I love those Gheenoes!

It's a canoe! It's a boat! It's a GHEENOE!!!

dkmw likes this.

19. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    I have both the Joyo American and the AC Tone, have used them quite a bit over the last six years.

I checked out the Donner pedal $75 dollars on amazon.com, had a look on Amazon.co.uk expecting them to be at least £60 if not £75, only to find then at £34. So I have ordered the Sweet Juice and also the Green Land which claims to emulate the Fender Bassman and Marshall JTM45. We'll see what they can do when they arrive next week.

Mistercharlie and dotpc like this.

20. dotpc

dotpc TDPRI Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Everett, WA
    Excited to hear what you think!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.