Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

My mornings lately

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mjark, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I’ve been going to the same place for coffee in the mornings for many years. A year or more ago I ran into a friend there sitting with an older man. He introduced me and I always greeted him when I saw him. Since I’ve retired I’ve gone in later and started having my coffee there with this man who is 93 years old, was born across the street and knows everything and everyone. He’s an encyclopedia about Annapolis and specifically our part of town known as Eastport, which is on the other side of Spa Creek from downtown. Mr. Finkle or Bud lived on my street, he built his home there in 1954 before mine was built in 1957. We were neighbors for some time although I didn’t know. He sold his home about 10 years ago which is is at the other end of the street from me. He’s been retired from the Naval Academy for 33 years.

He brings in pictures of the land the shopping center is on when it was farm land, of the way the water looked in the 1940’s, it’s fascinating to learn about what things were like then. I’m not a native we’ve only been in MD since 1984.

He’s a WWII veteran, he was in the Seabees in the South Pacific, he enlisted at age 17 in 1942. His brother died at the Battle of Bulge.

And that’s not all, the maintenance man for the shopping center, Walter also joins us, he’s only 77. He’s also extremely interesting, it seems there’s almost nothing in the manly arts he doesn’t know and can do. He’s also a blacksmith. He grew up in a military family and lived in Alaska as kid. He’s got great stories about polar bears and so forth. His son, John is also there frequently, he’s waterman. He’s out fishing/crabbing/oystering every day year around except right now due to ice. He helps his dad with some stuff where ladders are required like taking down the Christmas lights.

There are a few others as well, and it’s become the highlight of my day. I never imagined I’d be an old man siting around drinking coffee and telling stories but, here I am.
    1955, Wallo Tweed, Smokin OP and 33 others like this.

2. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Old folks rock. Always have. Shaddup and pay attention.
    ( maybe even stand on their lawn)

3. jhundt

jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 23, 2003
    That sounds like a great way to start a day!

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

You can test this!

rag1, tery, dr_tom and 8 others like this.

5. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010

6. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 12, 2008
    I am envious! I work in an office but we support a repair shop. I get to work around 6 am. I would love to sit in a cafe and drink a cup of coffee and chit chat before work, but it just does'nt work out. I'll make it a life goal for my retirement years.
    Piggy Stu likes this.

7. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    That was great! I have to admit I had more brotherly contact with old guys when I was young than I do now. I really enjoyed being ushered up by men that cared enough to tease and allow me to make my own mistakes.

Now I find myself the one who spends way more time around young folks than old...and I really fear I'm not as good at the method of laid back grooming that you can offer the young ones for a rounded growing up experience...but I try.

Thanks for the story!
    Uncle Bob and Mjark like this.

8. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    I'm a grumpy middle aged guy. I don't like old people and don't want to be one. With my health history I'm sure I won't have to worry about it.

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Sorry you feel that way, probably won't have to worry about younger people wanting to hang around with you if you DO get old....;)
    chezdeluxe likes this.

10. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Being only 66 I'm still learning!

11. Mechanic

Mechanic Tele-Afflicted

I’ll turn 66 in a few weeks. Been medically retired for a year. It amazes me how things have grown here on the west coast and Rockies. The orchards around Disneyland have been long gone for decades. All along the coast to Santa Barbra is new commercial as well as residential, just astounds me. My little deli I work and own with my wife has been open for 3 years. The town has been incorporated for 15 years with a population of about 60K. 20 years ago we were out here riding dirt bikes and target shooting. We hav a few retired couples come in for lunch or an early dinner. It’s always nice to sit and visit with them tho I don’t feel old yet. We have kids with little to no experience working for us. When they gain enough knowledge that my wife tell ‘em your too comfortable here. Time to move on! It’s nice when they come back to say hi, give the wife and I a hug and say thanks for putting up with them. Had maybe a dozen kids thru here since we’ve opened.

12. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    That's how you start a day! With folks who have knowledge as opposed to listening to sniveling idiots on tv !

Almost all old diners and cafes I end up in have a morning round table and they all seem to have a few especially well developed characters.
    nojazzhere likes this.

13. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    "you probably won't have to worry about younger people wanting to hang around with you if you DO get old....;)"

I don't like young people either. :p
    Nickadermis and nojazzhere like this.

14. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    Great story - reminds me of Satchmo's "What a Wonderful World"...

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

These guys used to be OK and all that. Then, they started hearing from their fellow citizens and family members, that if they had a story they better get it out there to some younger people, as opposed to taking it to the grave unheard.

I was lucky. I had a buddy and he'd cultivate friendships with guys his age and a little older, and he'd find the truly interesting guys - then he'd tell be about them and I'd get introduced to them. Sadly, or frankly, or whatever, I skipped over the old timers who didn't have much to say, and just showed interest in those that had a lot to teach me. This buddy was a way underaged enlistee in the Merchant Marine during WWII and probably assumed more risk than many of them had, honestly.

I think we had a thread a while back, about Jimmy Stewart and Hank Fonda and their longterm friendship, and how sometimes they'd just sit in the company of one another, in silence. Which is fine for them. Doesn't work for me - I'm there for the stories.

16. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    listen Mjark, to my mind, what you're describing is the Ideal
    P Thought and Mjark like this.

17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Pretty great!
    Old guys have the best stories.
    Many are even true!

18. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Jan 15, 2012
    My grandmother, still going at 97, still amazes me to this day. She talks of her father (a geologist/miner) looking for a copper mine in N. Ontario and has other stories about family and the area. I love to sit with her every time I get back home. Here in Kentucky, I jam with old pickers every week and they tell some pretty good stories about bars and moonshine running- I agree, its a lot more interesting than the talking heads on TV.
    ndcaster likes this.

19. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Afflicted

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    Old folk who haven’t gotten old in their mindset are exceedingly excellent to talk with. For those who’ve gotten old in mind and body, not so much.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.