Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My Micawber build

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by djangoRobinson, Apr 27, 2012.

1. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 18, 2003
    Vermont
    Blank neck plate?

2. djangoRobinson

djangoRobinson Tele-Meister

Jun 20, 2011
    newcastle
    Ok, So now I've got her wired up like a broadcaster, with a pot for blending. I had to remove one of the caps during the process, as was required. Only now I don't get much variation at all. It sounds to warm, I'm not getting much twang from the bridge. Can anybody tell me weather this is because I have removed the cap or not, and if so, how can I incorporate it back into the broadcaster wiring ? thank you

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012

3. djangoRobinson

djangoRobinson Tele-Meister

Jun 20, 2011
    newcastle
    what about it, sorry ??

4. djangoRobinson2

djangoRobinson2 Tele-Meister

Dec 30, 2012
    newcastle
    Does anybody have anything worth trading for this.

ps I lost access to my last email address and couldn't reset my password, so I've had to join up again, but it is me !

5. Noeski

Noeski TDPRI Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Melbourne
    Hey Django..

I'm getting a Micawber replica built as we speak, and I am about to decide on what pots/caps and wiring I should drop in there...

Have you solved the no twang from bridge issue??

I am undecided whether or not to go the Blend wiring or stick with the standard 3 way.. Any thoughts on this now you have had a play with yours??

Cheers

6. djangoRobinson2

Dec 30, 2012
    newcastle
    It OK now yeah, turns out it was more to do with my amp. The broadcaster wiring is sweet, I just keep selected on bridge and just add as much base as I like. Pretty sure this is what the original has. Middle selection is OK for a standard split, the neck is very heavy 'warm' if you will, but it always will be. I went for a luxe 53 telecaster wiring harness, about 40 pound on E-Bay, but they probably do a broadcaster one as-well.

7. tonefree

tonefree TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Pacific Northwest
    250k pots, What about the bucker, wouldn't it be thin? What about using 500k pots and adding a 250k resistor for the bridge? I'm building a Micawber and will be assembling Her next week...:D

8. djangoRobinson2

Dec 30, 2012
    newcastle
    Define thin please. My hb takes over the guitar when its selected.

9. tonefree

tonefree TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Pacific Northwest
    I was thinking that the bucker wouldn't be operating at it's full capacity with a 250k vs. the 500k, resulting in a thin or less full output. I am thinking buckers want a full 500k to sound their best? Here is how my harness is currently set up. I also have a pair of 375k pots that I may use. I will be building her Tuesday. Cheers...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's my current Keef Inspired...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013

10. djangoRobinson2

Dec 30, 2012
    newcastle
    looking good, are you going to age it ?

11. tonefree

tonefree TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Pacific Northwest
    Probably not, I'll just play the piss out of it and let Her age with love & affection...:D

12. djangoRobinson2

Dec 30, 2012
    newcastle
    Well if you want it to age anything like the original, you have to strum it up over the neck

13. J.Banning

J.Banning TDPRI Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Lodi, Ca USA
    Nice job! I've done some Micawbers too. I'd recommend using a 500k pot for the vol, and a 250k for the tone and real oil & paper cap. Sounds great this way w/ the SD Antiquity and a Don Mare Keefer...[​IMG]

Telegraphonic likes this.

14. tonefree

tonefree TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Pacific Northwest
    .033 or a.022? I've got an Antiquity going in the neck and a Stuart Lap Wrap for the bridge...:D

15. djangoRobinson2

Dec 30, 2012
    newcastle
    The neck on this looks sweet. Just wondering but is there a reason why the vol and not the tone suits being a 5ook, also what wiring configuration you got? 22 cap or other ? cheers

16. J.Banning

J.Banning TDPRI Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Lodi, Ca USA
    I've always used .047... The Allparts Vitamin Q's are good:
    http://www.allparts.com/EP-4158-000-047-Vitamin-Q-Capacitor_p_1378.html

The Jensen Copper Foil Paper in oil are the Bees Knees if you wanna get crazy with it:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Jensen-...Guitar_Accessories&hash=item43b238391b&_uhb=1

Either one makes a huge difference. I would recommend the Jensen if you're going all out...

17. tonefree

tonefree TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Pacific Northwest
    J.Banning, Are you using the 270k resitor to step down the bridge?

18. rustneversleeps

rustneversleeps TDPRI Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Canada
    That is really sweet! congrats.

19. J.Banning

J.Banning TDPRI Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Lodi, Ca USA
    Thanks for the compliments on the neck!

I always use the higher value for the vol. I read somewhere to do it this way, and it makes since. You're pretty much splitting the difference... and it sounds good to my ear this way. I actually got the idea from talking with Don Mare when I ordered his Keefer bridge pickup. He also recommended to swap out the stock magnets on the SD Antiquity but I've never tried that yet...

20. J.Banning

J.Banning TDPRI Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Lodi, Ca USA
    To my ear it's not necessary. I play primarily through a hand wired Tweed Double Deluxe and a Vox Ac30, and it sounds great through both!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.