Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My lyrics got new usage...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jakedog, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Just received this in the mail.

IMG_2114.JPG

I have a song on my Belmont Sessions album called "August Day". It was inspired by the summers in the early-mid 90's when I worked in the backcountry for Philmont Scout Ranch, in New Mexico. Where I also met and fell in love with my wife. I often introduce the song saying that everything truly good that has ever happened to me in the last thirty years, started in the Sangres. It's the truth.

Several years ago some of the ranch staff alumni asked me to put it on a compilation record, and I guess it's become somewhat of an anthem for folks who want to return, or just can't get over what a magic place it is.

Last fall I was contacted by the PSA (Philmont Staff Association) about using a lyric from the tune on some of their merch. I agreed, on the condition that all proceeds directly benefit the ranch in some way.

This shirt is exclusively for PSA members, and all proceeds go directly to the PSA Scholarship fund. PSA scholarships pay out $2k per person, up to $50k a year in college tuition, for exceptional staff members who agree to return to work additional summer seasons while in school.

I was so honored to be asked at all, being able to help with the proceeds is icing on the cake. When I write a song, I do it to get things out of my head and into the world. I never put any other expectations on them. Sometimes, they end up doing the damndest things...

bftfender, P Thought, Guran and 27 others like this.

2. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Awesome! What a tribute to your music, dedication, and roots - all in one!

Jakedog likes this.

3. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

May 11, 2007
    Toronto
    Congrats, really cool!

Cheers,
    Geoff

Jakedog likes this.

4. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Good on ya!!!

Jakedog likes this.

5. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    What a great story. There's something that no one can ever take away from ya, Jakedog.

I never made it to Philmont as a scout. By the time I made Star I discovered the guitar and Scouts got left by the wayside. But I've got a good friend who's been many times and as an adult he's taken his son many times. I'm sure he'd love to have one of those shirts. Do you have a link?

Jakedog likes this.

6. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    Good on you JD

Jakedog likes this.

7. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

Nov 20, 2017
    Yoakum, Texas
    Very cool!

Jakedog likes this.

8. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Not sure they're available to anybody who's not a PSA member... but they'd be available through the PSA website, which is philstaff.org

Funny you mention discovering guitar. Playing and singing is the main thing that kept me employed there for four summers.

Nickadermis likes this.

9. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Whenever I hear a brilliant turn of phrase I have to admit that I sometimes just react like it came out of the "Amazing and Profound Phrase Machine"....

Nope...they come out of Amazing and Profound People. Congrats! That is so cool!

soulman969 and Jakedog like this.

10. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    I never get tired of saying it . Good people make great things happen !

Jakedog likes this.

11. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Nice tribute brother!

Jakedog and william tele like this.

12. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2009
    Central Missouri
    Thanks for sharing the good news. My brother is heavy into scouting and Philmont is a yearly event for him and has been for some time. I bet he knows all those folks.

It must be a magical place because he won't stop going there.:D Enjoy the ride Jake!

Jakedog likes this.

13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

14. televillian

televillian Tele-Holic

Oct 3, 2013
    Clarkdale, AZ
    nice start for 2018

Jakedog likes this.

15. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 19, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Awesome!!!

I've been on 3 Philmont treks (2003, 2007, and 2015). Now my kids are grown, I won't get to return.

But I want to go back to Philmont
    Where the old Rayado flows
    Where the rain comes a seepin'
    In the tent where you're a sleepin'.
    And the waters say hello.

Maybe I can be an adult volunteer at Philmont someday. Congrats again GS on having part of a song live on there. Well done...

Jakedog likes this.

16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Let me be the first to say it. I knew the great Jakedog, the poet for the common man when he was just a regular guitar slinger in a band. Good for YOU!!

Jakedog likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.