My Les paul sounds terrible thru Blues jr while my Strat and Tele sound great

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by stepvan, May 4, 2019.

1. stepvan

stepvan TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Just was wondering does anyone else have an issue trying to coax good tone from a Gibby Les Paul and Blues jr combo? Mine has 490r 498t pickups which of course sound great thru my valve king or Marshall. Any suggestions?

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

In what way does it not "sound good"? Some guitar/amp combinations just don't "click". The only guitars I've played through my Blues Junior III are my Telecaster and PRS SE One, with one P-90 and a hot rails-style humbucker in the neck.....and both guitars sound good.

3. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

lets hear the clips

4. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Fat switch off?

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  5. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

tweak the amp and the guitar. you'll find it.

play music!

nojazzhere and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Do you play with Fat switch ON? I only rarely use that as a boost for a lead.

7. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

It’s not the amp. It’s just that strats and Teles are far superior to all other guitars. ;)

Sorry. Someone had to say it. And sadly, I have no experience with that amp, so I have nothing to offer.

swany and Dismalhead like this.
  8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

more likely that the higher output of the LP pushes the JR in to early clipping and the weaker fender pickup give it that warm sound because you can push the amp without issue, you can dial down the amp to zero and introduce the LP till it sounds good , or use it to run your fenders,

but that is most likely the main culprit

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    Dismalhead and thunderbyrd like this.
  9. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

I think Blues Jr.'s generally sound Tubby. (fat flubby low end and cardboard box midrange). Volume dependent and speaker options as a variable. A thin sounding guitar will clean that up a bit. A general Les Paul will make it worse.

I was testing Fuzz pedals through a Blues Jr. at the music store today (With a Gibson S.G. $2500.00). Not bad. Just about my least favorite amp. the right speaker might tighten all that up. (and speaker box).

Mad Kiwi, blowtorch and Chunkocaster like this.
  10. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Fenders sound best through Fenders and Gibsons through Gibsons.

The builders design it that way, they make an amp using their own branded instruments in development, so it only makes sense that mixing may not sound as good. That is not to say that you can't dial them in to sound good, but they will take more effort to do it. My old Gibson Skylark would make your ears bleed with ice-pick highs using Fender instruments with single coils, but plug in a somewhat dark humbucker and it sounded great.

11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I own a blues junior and brighter guitars do sound better through it.

blowtorch and DonM like this.
  12. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Not enough headroom on that amp for your typical guitar with humbuckers – especially a hot humbucker like a 498T.

I have the same issue with any humbucker equipped guitar through my lower wattage amps. Even typical PAF winds combined with low output magnets like A3 and A2 need some rather extreme massaging to get the clarity. Since I mostly play low headroom amps, I have taken to running neck winds in the bridge position, and getting either an underwound, or under-magnetted, neck pickup. E.g. A5 or A4 bridge magnet combined with an A3 or A2 neck magnet.

That said, if you push the amp and/or the guitar less, the 490R should be able to get some sweet tones through that amp. You must set your knobs the right way. Try setting it up for less gain/breakup, more treble, and turn the bass knob way down – all the way down if you have to. Try just slightly backing off the volumes on the guitar, e.g. put them at 9 or 8, while putting your tones on 10. That will result in a thinner, plinkier sound, not as saturated with low end.

Bottom line, you just have to run the Blues Jr. more mildly in order to get some clarity from that combination of hot pickups, short scale length, and a low headroom amp.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    blowtorch likes this.
  13. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Back the treble, mid and bass off. Yes, all three.

On an old Fender you'd plug into the 'low' input.

Back off the bass side of the pickups 1/2 turn. In fact 1/2 on the treble and 1 on the bass side

These are all easy changed..

When playing the guitar set the amp to 'lead or solo' level. Back off your guitar volumes for rythym.

The next requires a mod.

If you don't have treble bleeds or vintage wiring (my personal recommendation) you may get mud. So a minor change is a good idea.

kellybluz and rangercaster like this.
  14. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

As said above, start turning knobs. You'll get there

rangercaster likes this.
  15. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

You need more headroom than a BJ in order to sound great with the high output humbuckers of your Les Paul.

16. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

17. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I've read about some high profile players shutting off the the bass control and using the mid control to dial in the lows. It works because of the interactional nature of the Fender tonestack. These are guys who play their Supers on 8 or so. All the same, it might be a fun experiment.

Also, try less preamp volume and more master. The idea is to attenuate the input to get a similar response to your other guitars that work well.

Jerry_Mountains likes this.
  18. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

A Les Paul should sound great w/ a Fender amp ... I once saw Les at a recording session/concert and he used a Fender amp ... He was using his Recording model guitar he favored ... It sounded incredible ...

19. Tonemaster

Tonemaster Tele-Afflicted

To my ear, nothing sounds good through a Blues Jr. Worst. Amp. Ever.

20. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

You might also try a compressor pedal in front of the amp, set to compress lightly and with slow enough attack that your pick transients aren’t squashed...then play with the compressor’s output level (starting with a slight overall gain reduction to simulate lower-output pickups).

Taming the signal spikes can help in some cases.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.