My latest strap lock fixation.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cam, Feb 16, 2004.

1. TeleMark

TeleMark Tele-Meister

Wow, the Egg...

Ben, thanks for the flashback! I grew up in central NY, and we used to go to Albany for field trips in grade school. A good buddy from college went to RPI for grad school, and we used to go to the Troy pub and brewery for great beer and grub.

Memories, all alone in the mooooonliiiight......

:D

TeleMark

2. baldy5000

baldy5000 TDPRI Member

Voila:

[​IMG]

3. all_identaties_taken

all_identaties_taken Tele-Holic

Just go buy a set of Schaller strap locks. Pissing about with washers and what not is just pointless.

4. JimmyJam

JimmyJam Tele-Afflicted

I want to skate that thing! Is it skate-able? :p

5. bandeapart

bandeapart Tele-Meister

Yeah, Grolsch bottle caps.

6. bandeapart

bandeapart Tele-Meister

I think everyone's lucky everywhere cuz we have the same bottles here in the US. I thought this was more well known, that's why I'm surprised to even see this thread. My friends use them, but I was lucky enough to get a pair of schaller locks for free when I bought my ric.

7. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

That's exactly what I do, 12mm metal washers on all my electrics

8. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

5+ years gone by...what did you guys search for to find this, Grolsch?

9. Turtletwang

Turtletwang Tele-Meister

I read about it last year in Guitar and Bass UK magazine.

10. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I know the answer to the strap lock problem and you guys are simply approaching it incorrectly . Thinking inside the box . Anyone out there interested in revolutionizing the strap lock business with some connections ? I believe that it is patentable . No alterations to a guitar needed . This is for real . I just don't know how to market it .

11. Gareth John

Gareth John Tele-Afflicted

You can buy rubber washer strap locks in guitar shops over here, a couple were left in a case for a '66 Mustang I bought. I've been using the Grolsch beer washers for a while. I much prefer rubber washers to the schaller strap locks, those things felt rattly and sometimes the nuts would work loose and I didn't trust them. The rubber washers are perfect and make changing guitars/ straps easier and they're much more secure.

12. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

"Pissing about" with mechanical strap locks is pointless, when I can slip a rubber washer over my perfectly good strap button and it keeps my strap on PERFECTLY.

:p

Tim

ps- as I mentioned in the OTHER strap lock thread currently going, if you Google "Grolsch gaskets" you'll find all kinds of homebrew supply shops that sell them cheap!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  13. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

Hehe. Between the time this thread was posted, and now, I actually spent three years working in that building. :lol:

No, it's not skatable. At least not if you don't want to die.

When I was working there, I used to have dreams about it tipping over. I told my coworkers about it, and every one of them had the same dreams.

Now I work in a building with windows, and I couldn't be happier.

...And I'm still using the same metal washers on my guitars.

14. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I used them but personally prefer this brand, gives a rough working class sound and Ilike the colour:
    [​IMG]
    right now I am mixing for a half dutch, half ruhrpott sound. just like me, born in ruhrpott, dutch roots ...
    :p

15. podboy3

podboy3 Tele-Afflicted

I miss seeing The Egg, my friends and I used to skate the property (not the actually Egg) all the time.
    It is odd when you look at it and then go inside... I always thought that it was bigger inside than it looked on the outside.

Ben Harmless, How long have you been in Albany? There was a place down in the "Gut" of the city called the QE2 which was an old white castle turned into a club with a bar in the front...Seen many a great show there, a lot of bigger bands would make it there even though it was small. Anyway, I know it closed down a while ago (I guess be cause of bad business practices) but was wondering if anyone else ended up taking it over.

16. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

I don't get strap locks.

My straps don't let go. Should they?

17. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Put strap on button. Take strap off. No rattles. When strap gets old, replace.

18. Tim Armstrong

They're not supposed to, but sometimes they do! Often with damaging results...

Tim

19. podboy3

podboy3 Tele-Afflicted

Had a few occurrences like that and luckily it was not on anything expensive.... Except when your scraping up money any way you can to buy that "inexpensive" to a lot people axe and have that sometimes happen.

years ago I bought a nice leather strap and the ends are really nice and thick and so far (knock on wood) it has not given out like some of the "bargain" straps I bought in the past.

I am not a fan of a lot of strap locks and will be looking for some washers, Maybe even the Grolsch ones. Do they even sell the bottles like that in the states? or do I have to go to a home brew store?

20. Tim Armstrong

Well, you can sometimes find Grolsch beer in places that sell a lot of imported beer. I just ordered my Grolsch gaskets from an online homebrew shop...

Tim

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.