My latest strap lock fixation.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cam, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Cam

Cam Tele-Afflicted

After reading Adam Levy's (adamlevy.com) recommendation for a strap lock in his lesson section, I have been trying to find said washers here in the great white north. He said they are Danco stock # 61805B. They are about 1 1/4" neoprene washer with a a 1/4" hole. You stretch them over the strap nob and presto instant homegrown strap lock. I love these "putterin" kinds of homemade solutions. There is no such animal in plumbing supplies up here in this neck of the woods. At his point I don't believe they can be found in Canada. I can order them up from the US, but to ship them the company wants about 12$ US which seems silly for such a small coin item. I want to get hold of between 2 to 12 of them. Any suggestions or help from anyone would be appreciated. If you can hook me up with a few of these washers, shoot me a PM. I'd send some coin down to cover your trouble.
    I'll try and see if any are available in the big city when I next excape the northern counties.
    Right now I am using some homemade ones that I made out of tire tubing that work quite well..... so I don't know why I am fixated but there ya go. Thanks for any considerations from the washer focused retentive fool.

2. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

Did I just read something to the effect of there not being plumbing in Canada?

Man, and they complain about Conan O'Brian...

:D

Seriously, that sounds like a good idea, and I just use metal washers for it. Sure, you can't really take the strap off easily, but I don't mind too much. Remember - if you reeeeealy want that strap to stay on, then you're gonna have to break out the screwdrivers.

Still, the tubing idea sounds good. If it works, I wouldn't worry about getting the "proper" materials. I may give your method a try myself.

3. Cam

Cam Tele-Afflicted

Washers

Ben...LOL re. your plumbing in Canada comment. Conan in Canada was a hoot btw.
    I used to do the metal washer thing on my 74 tele. As you say, the strap was on permanently. On my new axes I don't want to leave the strap rubbing on body in the case. Not that I keep mine pristine, but I'm in no rush to relic anything. I like the long slow natural relic approach. The metal washers are perhaps the best strap lock idea I have ever used but these days I like to be able to remove the strap easily. I am into keeping my guitars as original as possible on the vintage style strap knob axes. That is why I like what Adam Levy suggests. I believe the washers would be quite a bit harder to pull off than my tire tube retainers.

4. Fenderbender60

Fenderbender60 Tele-Holic

washers

I just less than an hour ago bought some rubber washers. I'm going to try these tonight when I get my tele out.

Terry

5. Fenderbender60

Rubber Washers

Man they work like a dream! And to think I was going to spend a lot of money for new strap locks for 3 of the guitars I play on a regular basis. Got four washers under a buck. Now I can get some for the other guitars. Man it feels good to be cheep! lol

Terry

6. Cam

Cam Tele-Afflicted

What kind of washers worked for you?

Terry are they like the ones in the Adam Levy reference? What was on the package description?

7. Fenderbender60

rubber washers

Cam....Yes they were exactly like in the Adem Levy reference. No package they were in a box loose. I wrote down the dimentions from the post and went to the hardware store (had to fix our tub faucet it was leaking) and told the guy what I wanted and he hooked me up. I looked at the reciept they were .49 cents each. So it was under $2.00.

Terry

8. Cam

Cam Tele-Afflicted

Cool!

What a goofy chain of events from watching an ACL Nora Jones concert with Adam Levy on guitar to simple washers on the tdpri LOL!!!
    Now to find some of those style of washers north of the 49th parallel! They must be for some kind of plumbing that isn't a standard up here. (at least in my neck of the woods). Dang, the outhouse has been cold these days.

9. undafonk

undafonk RIP

Grolsch beer bottle washers!

We guitarplayers in the Netherlands are lucky! On of the local beer brands here, Grolsch, sells their brew in 0.5 l bottles, the ones with a ceramic stop on them with a red rubber washer. Fits perfectly ....

Now to cut to the chase - I would be happy to send you en envelope of these washers free of charge to any post address in Canada. It just happens I have an empty case of Grolsch bottles which I was about to return (don't worry, it takes me a couple of months to drink that much, I am not in university anymore). That's 20 washers there already - and you can say you use real, unobtainable, vintage washers from Grolsch (practice a little bit on your pronunciation!).

Send me a PM if you feel like it.

Cheers!

Paul

10. Ben Harmless

My friends and I are busy building walls to enclose a practice space we've rented in the basement ofan old brewery. We'll probably be at the hardware store at least once today, and I was going to offer to pick some washers up, but now I hear about these Grolsch washers, and I'm thinking that they probably sound better anyway.

It's going to be the new fad. Only Grolsch washers will do.

11. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Grolsh RULES!

Great beer and the best non metal straplock you can get!!

12. Loco

Loco Tele-Afflicted

Shower Hose Washers

Can't seem to get Grolsch in the UK with those stoppers anymore, so I use those black rubber washers that fit inside a shower hose. 58p for 5 and they work a treat.

13. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Ben, just curious which brewery that is...

14. Cam

Cam Tele-Afflicted

Thanks to fenderbender60 and undadafonk

Terry is going to send me up a few. And thankyou for undadafonk's (Paul) offer. Thankyou for your suggestions all. The TDPRI is cool and remains the only web page that matters!!!!

15. Ben Harmless

I don't know what it was called when it was in operation. It's in Rensselaer right across the river from The plaza, and there's a boat launch about 50 yards away. From the amount of dust and paint chips we swept out of the area, it seems to have been abandoned for well over 10 years. Half of the windows are smashed, and there's nothing inside on the 3 above ground floors, but it's solid concrete construction, and it's going to make for some great band pictures - especially if we can get out onto the roof and get the plaza in the background. The Albany skyline is severely underappriciated.

I mean, come one, how many cities have one of these:
    [​IMG]

16. bazineta

bazineta TDPRI Member

Ok, I'll bite.

What the heck is that?

17. takeout

takeout TDPRI Member

FWIW...

When I went to Home Depot looking for the aforementioned washers, I actually found them in the nuts & bolts aisle rather than in plumbing supplies. They were in one of the slide-out bins.

They work like a charm.

18. genelovesjez

genelovesjez Friend of Leo's

That would make for some long, cold winters!

19. Ben Harmless

Since the thread got resurrected, I'll answer bazineta.

That's the Egg. It's a large building that houses two theaters, one that's pretty sizable, and the other that is smaller, but a neater space. It's the home of the NY State Theater Institute. My dream when I was younger was to perform there. I did. Now I think I'd like to do it again.

Here ya go: About the Egg

...and as far as those washers go, I checked my Home Despot, even in the nuts/bolts isle, but didn't see any that looked right. Maybe I'll try again.

20. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Ben, when this thread came up I thought it sounded like a good idea and decided to try to grab a couple of washers while I was at the Home Depot anyway. They were out of stock on anything that was remotely close. There were lots of other rubber washers, but not the right size for guitar straps. FWIW, they're in the aisle with sink fittings.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.