Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My guitar student thinks Jimi Hendrix is terrible!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Steve Holt, Mar 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2016
    NorthEast U.S.
    I agree with the history part of what you are saying. I feel that way when people say the Beatles suck...music as we know it today may not be what it is without the Beatles. I still feel that it is not the teachers responsibility to "change his mind" , as you suggested.

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    14 yr old male and you are saying he has not worn out the cover of Electric Ladyland?

RoyBGood likes this.

3. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    I think it is just preference. Since your student is young, we have to understand that Hendrix is not from his generation. I was born in the 70's, but when I started playing the guitar, I I wasn't into Hendrix either. Probably because I was into another genre and preferred the current players. But as I grew older and tried to learn more about music and guitar, I started to appreciate Hendrix.

Route67 likes this.

4. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2016
    sw US
    Good blues-rock players play the whole scale, both Major and minor (and others). There's no law that says one has to be trapped in the pentatonic. Now, you can step out of the box and be free . . . be free and let your fingers fly! :)

rogb and awasson like this.

5. kingoflimbs

kingoflimbs Tele-Meister

Sep 8, 2011
    New Jersey
    the notion that disliking the musical style of jimi hendrix, is somehow disrespectful to the history of the guitar, is laughable.

6. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Meister

May 11, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    Again, misconstruing what I'm saying, if it's not their cup of tea, that's completely fine, but they should understand the history. Nobody who does that would call him "Terrible", or stated another way using your words, it would be "laughable" for anyone who understood the history of electric guitar to call one of it's pioneers "Terrible".

Anyway, happy to agree to disagree here as I have a feeling this will be similarly misconstrued. Enjoy your day!

t guitar floyd likes this.

7. kingoflimbs

kingoflimbs Tele-Meister

Sep 8, 2011
    New Jersey
    can we all agree that ringo is a 'terrible' drummer?

Lobomov and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

8. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2015
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    No. I am a terrible drummer. Ringo was a drummer. Not a phenomenal one, but not a bad one. He didn't impress any crowds for his drumming ability, but he didn't stand out as bad.

awasson likes this.

9. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    This is a good question. My answer is that anyone is qualified to say whether they like something. But you need to have an understanding of music to say whether someone is any good. In other words, not everyone is qualified to make that judgement.

telemnemonics and Route67 like this.

10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Digital amp modeling 20 years ago was great - for 20 years ago. Today's digital modeling is just about perfect, but it is built on the foundation of that old technology; without the old stuff, we wouldn't have the new stuff.

People will correctly state that the old stuff WAS good, but nobody is going to argue that the old stuff IS good.

I just threw this out there to see the comments. I expect a few "digital modeling still isn't any good" comments.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Which artist is better?

The artist who perfectly copies what their teachers showed them, and adds their own personal style?

Or the artist who invents and creates as much as copies what they were taught?

Is it possible that we are mixing up the musician as artist, with the technician guitarist?
    Each of us probably has parts of both.

Any teacher might hope their students will surpass the teachers skills.
    Vai did just that, but his teachers were already doing the stuff that impressed Zappa and still impresses us now.
    His great playing was not really anything new.
    Artists in the visual arts are considered illustrators if they their work looks like many other peoples work.

Hendrix rendered his teachers obsolete, inventing vastly more than he was taught, placing the art above the technique, choosing to pioneer instead of playing safe.

Yet even if we take away the amount of invention and creation each of them accomplished, Hendrix at his best stands up to any guitar playing of today with no apologies.

Agreed, a lot of his legacy is lousy recordings of shaky performances.
    But at his best his playing is still superb, even next to the shred trained technicians of today.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    4pickupguy and awasson like this.

12. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I see your logic and raise.....

Try these comparisons. Norman Rockwell sucks now that digital photos are so good. Les Paul sucks now that digital recording is so good.. Stewart Copland sucks now that drum machines are so good..

Honestly, if I were 14 and listening to Hendrix for the first time these days from my little "Mylie world view", I absolutely would think Hendrix sucked. That same me would think Les Paul's recordings suck by the only standards I knew.. It is up to the op as his teacher to make sure he has the wisdom to keep an open mind regarding those who have come before him. Mindset is a big part of learning. He might still think Hendrix sucks at the end of the day, but he and Hendrix both get a fair shake.. When my grades suffered in elementary school, my dad would quiz me on a subject, then ask me what my thought process was with each answer... mindset brought my grades up... well, until I discovered girls... then Hendrix... not sure where I was headed with that...

13. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Creativity is the elusive variable that transcends the logic used to try and explain it.

14. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Maybe the simplest terms would be:
    Which would you rather have in your band?
    A 20yo modeling amp?
    Or Hendrix still alive and playing his heart out?

Which one would suck in the modern world of music?

15. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Canada
    Hendrix technical ability was never in question was it? I have read your posts here, most is interesting then something comes from left field, prevents the 100% like button depressed. Anyway, carry on..

16. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Hey you're onto me, left field is my home but I do a pretty good job of faking normalcy.
    Slip up sometimes though, here among friends and mortal enemies!

When guitar players get into cutting contests, does anyone really get hurt?

Re: Hendrix' technical ability, the OP's statement was a 14yo said "Hendrix is terrible", and I'd agree that maybe we/ I need to step back and consider exactly what the word "terrible" means to a 14yo.
    Maybe it refers to playing ability, maybe it's just random opine from a hormonal mind.
    Does a 14yo girl take offense when a 14yo boy calls her Phat?
    Wait, that was the '90s?
    I'm old but I'm still trying to keep up...

Route67 likes this.

17. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    The music Jimi put out when he was alive is quite good.

The studio noise albums that have come out at the rate of 3 per year since his death are crap.

telemnemonics likes this.

18. Route67

Route67 Tele-Meister

Jan 14, 2017
    Canada
    "...a lot of his legacy is lousy recordings of shaky performances."

What? Are we talking about the same artist here? I don't care if his guitar was out of tune at times, there's nothing shaky about Hendrix, with a guitar in hand he was always pure bravado

awasson likes this.

19. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Yup, I don't think that can be honestly denied. Jimi was anything but shaky. On top of that he was quite aware of his guitar's pitch and was really quick get back in tune.

It seems to me that the bad performances were marred by troublesome equipment or equipment failure. It's no different than Jeff Beck's issues with guitars and amps while touring with the Yardbirds or the technical and performance issues that anyone who was a heavy rock guitarist in that era experienced. The rigs were less than dependable and Jimi wasn't known for holding back.

Route67 likes this.

20. beezerboy

beezerboy Tele-Meister

Sep 7, 2016
    AK
    ya know, this is a long winded thread with a lot of opinions, I've already posted twice, but when push comes to shove.... you should just beat him up, paint his butt blue, "wheel barrow" him to the parking lot, tie his ankles to the bumper of your car and drive around for a while. be sure to run by his girl friend's house and honk the horn

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.