Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My guitar student thinks Jimi Hendrix is terrible!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Steve Holt, Mar 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    Okay so wait a second before you run me through the wheat thresher.

So I'm teaching guitar lessons this morning and I decided to bring my Monterey Strat because I just got it playing again (long story). Anyway I let my student play it for a few minutes and he was looking it over and saw on the back my Jimi Hendrix neck plate. It's a nice touch to the tribute guitar. So he makes a few jokes about setting it on fire and then when he's getting ready to leave this happens

Student: Wait do you like Jimi Hendrix?

Me: Yeah...

Student: But he's terrible!!! (with a loud scream)

Me: Really? I don't think he is. The guy plays guitar pretty well.

So I played a little bit of Castles Made of Sand and his reply was "well his Star Spangled Banner is awful"

I think he's 14. I still stand by Hendrix as being more than alright. So here's my favorite Hendrix thing, you just have one button to push though.

ETA: I should have said this on the first run through. I thought the whole thing was funny; I had a good laugh.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    TigerG, faulp, Chris Barrett and 6 others like this.

2. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    He's 14. He probably thinks Billie Joe Armstrong is a rock guitar god.

brenn, Danishboy, Doctorx33 and 18 others like this.

3. blille

blille Tele-Holic

To his credit he probably saw him on the cover of last month's GW :)

IMG_0784.JPG

When I was about 13 I remember getting tabs for Foxy Lady and being amazed. I guess it might be generational. TBH, it's already a miracle a 14 y/o is playing guitar instead of being on his phone.

4. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    You had to hear Hendrix in his time - there was nothing much else around like him. Now there are plenty of 'guitar gods' so the kid is comparing him to the smooth processed sounds of today. I second the comments above, it's good that a 14 yr old is playing guitar!

Dan R, hollowman, JayFreddy and 16 others like this.

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I didn't get Jimi when I was a wee rock head.
    A classmate in high school hipped me to the Cry Of Love album.
    I got him, then.
    He had to sink in, I thought (at 14) that Hendix was too harsh/brash.
    Though he died before "Cry" was finished, it's still my favorite.

6. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    For me Hendrix could make beautiful music on his guitar. And technically, a lot of it ain't easy. (Wind Cry's Mary, Little Wing, plus many more)

However I will say a lot of the times his playing can just become a lot of noise and racket to my ears. It happens live more than recordings. It's pretty hard for someone to deny this.

So, Hendrix was very good but could be a bit racket-y at times.

BlueCollarBoy, Grux, elKZacha and 8 others like this.

7. Blue

Blue Tele-Holic

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    Spot on, clearly gifted but also played a lot of noisy self indulgent rubbish.

8. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    I can get on board with that. There's a lot of Hendrix stuff that I can appreciate for its technical proficiency, but I don't enjoy it much because it just isn't my thing.

BlueCollarBoy and Tony474 like this.

9. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    2 things , if I may .
    Expose your student to the Rainbow Bridge version of the Star Spangled Banner and then have a listen to Room Full of Mirrors on the Experience Soundtrack album .
    If you can , show the kid what Jimi had as far as gear to use compared to today's processed , pre processed and processed again productions .
    He may not understand it now , but in time , it just might sink in .

10. Henry

Henry Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jan 2, 2012
    Australia
    Maybe his patriotism is offended by the liberties JH took with the anthem? Personally I think the Woodstock rendition is one of the most powerful interpretations of that piece.

homesick345, Alamo, jaybones and 10 others like this.

11. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2008
    california
    a 14 year old is entitled to an opinion as well as a 64 year old. the only difference is experience. and, that doesn't make you right nor wrong.

as with everything musical, it is all subjective.

play music!

frisbe60, Anode100, TeleRooo and 6 others like this.

12. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I came for the amazing ballads, stayed for the rest. But Jimi will always be for me, what first drew me in.

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I kinda have a difficult time understanding some of the above comments. Jimi was truly beyond his contempories of the day, but with few exceptions he would still be beyond the "guitar gods" of today as well IMO. Now for the 14 year old? Who cares? He knows little about music at this point.

14. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    sub arctic
    it bothers me more that my wife hates jazz

15. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Nice video. Sadly a lot of folks got their panties in a huge twist over Hendrix' interpretation of the Star Spangled Banner. I thought it was beautiful and really spoke to the times, but that's just me.

Some folks got and some didn't. Some did get it, and they hated him for it.

16. Electric Mud

Electric Mud Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2017
    SW PA

17. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    … yes. But the boy may never have listened to Axis: Bold as Love, or Ladyland. Maybe suggest he gives it a real shot before giving up on one of the most gifted musicians rock music ever had because he does not like the Star Spangled Banner? Oh, and if I had just one track to try and hook him up, it would be either Bold as Love or One Rainy Wish depending on his musical tastes. Two absolute, mesmerizing masterpieces, each in its own way.

18. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    As much as I like Jimi, I need small doses. Most things live sound pretty sloppy and poorly recorded, but I listen to Experienced quite often.

19. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    Yeah that's not really something I'm going to do. As much as I'd like to. When his mom called me up three years ago to ask about lessons she basically made it clear that she wanted him learning more church friendly stuff. Christian Rock etc. As much as I love showing my students my favorite songs and my inspirations it's not something I do with him and his brother because I don't know what they're really restricted from listening to. I think now that he's a bit older (like I said I've known him for three years) it seems like he's discovering more stuff on his own. The whole thing is a separate can of worms that I'm not going to insert myself into in any way because I'm not his parent, I'm just some guy that teaches a few guitar lessons on the weekend :lol:

However, my policy is to let my students bring me what they want to learn, so when he brings me Little Wing, we'll get to it!

20. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    For most young people he is simply a historic figure, and not really relevant to them, even though he is a very important figure in musical history.

That being said, it can't hurt to expose young aspiring guitarists to him and his contributions to guitar music, as well as other musical innovators of the past 100 years or so.

Regardless of the style of music one likes, they can always learn something from those who came before.

Hendrix has a lot of useful things to teach.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.