Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

My friend sold his new MIM Tele for an Am Strat because...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ira7, Feb 14, 2017 at 11:13 AM.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

I'm curious what condition the two guitars were in. Sure it might be an MIA but it could be trashed needing a lot of work meanwhile the MIM was in pristine new-car-smell condition and a popular model like a Baja. So then the values are more similar and more of an 'equal' trade.

The Strat can always get loaded with Tele pickups and controls -- they can be fun like that :D

2. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2013
    St. louis MO
    To me fender doesn't make a good guitar these days. The American standards you can at least practice on. Any of there guitars that cost more than the AM stds are worse instruments. I practiced on a twin for almost a decade and a half. The tone sucks but you can turn it down and if you do need the amp to be louder it's always there. As far as whats better a tele or a strat it doesn't matter. Teles aern't just for country. The Clash played Teles tons of other people too. I would imagine what ever you think looks cooler you will play better on.

Once you get to a certain point you need a better guitar to advance. You need something that you can get intune and it stays in tune. If a guitar feels like a toy your playing is going to reflect the feel of the instrument. I ended up playing a lot on acoustics because the instruments were so much better than fenders. These weren't like super expensive instruments either. Alvarez, Yamahas stuff like that.

3. RevBillyG

RevBillyG TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Texas
    Well, I think you need to brush up on your debate skills if you couldn't stop him from making such an obvious blunder.

First, we have to make sure we understand the reason behind the decision.

What is said isn't always the real reason & we often need to dig deeper to get to the root cause. Sometimes a guitar player just has to have a new guitar. Has nothing to do with the merits of his current instrument or the one he's looking at. GAS... it affects most musicians, but I believe guitar players more than others. & for what ever reason, as a player's "means" increase, so does his affliction.

Not a whole lot you can do about GAS. From my understanding it's terminal. Well, it won't kill him, but he'll take it to his grave.

Another big reason new/inexperienced players buy new instruments... & believe MIA is better than MIM is they believe the instrument is holding them back. That's usually not the case & helping him break new barriers can help solve this condition.

Maybe he's just not having fun. This usually afflicts those that don't get out much & spend their time alone in a room practicing scales. Get him out, jamming with friends, rehearsing, preparing for a "show." Sometimes that helps keep the GAS under control.

A big issue that seems to be getting better is the internetz. Budget gear is getting better, period. Today's gear in the $300~$500 range is equivalent (imo) to gear in the $1000+ range of the 80s, early 90s. You don't see much poplar any more. You don't see many guitar bodies made of 5 to 7 pieces of wood (butcher block style). You don't see ply wood guitars. & you can get 15W to 120W tube amps for $500 all day long.

Still, we say, "it's good for the money" or "it's good considering."

No doubt, the good stuff got better as well. But you can make a lot of money with an MIM Telecaster & a Jet City Vintage 20.

Don't give up on your friend just yet. Like I said, there's no cure for GAS. He's going to need you again.

Route67, drlucky, Ira7 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Tele's not for everybody, Strat's not for everybody. I have two of each. While MIM is good, MIA is better. I don't see a problem here.

drlucky likes this.
  6. RevBillyG

RevBillyG TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Texas

Back in the day tuning was a big issue on budget guitars. Not only did we have a hard time keeping our instruments in tune, sometimes it was impossible to tune to pitch, as there was too much slippage in the tuners.

However, I think the industry has all but beat the, "won't stay in tune" issues. Even the cheapest of guitars are much, much more stable than they have been in the past. Unless you're really, really rough on your guitar, today's guitarist shouldn't have to tune during a set as often as SRV or Hendrix did... & they were rough on the best instruments they could get at the time.

7. Ira7

Ira7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Edited:

I'm just trying to steer the guy in a semi-reasonable direction.

Not because I know better than him, but because we've all been there.

8. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I have NEVER had a problem keeping a guitar in tune because of tuner problems. I've played Gibsons that I couldn't keep in tune but blamed that on them being Melody Makers and SG's. A USA Fender may be "better" but there doesn't seem to be any difference in playability between a MIM and USA. (To me!) As far as sound, I can usually turn knobs to please me.

Today's Fender guitars are pretty OK in my book...all of em'.

RevBillyG and awasson like this.
  9. awasson

awasson Tele-Afflicted

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I think what's got this thread confused/curious is: what is your objection to his decision? Is it because he traded a Tele for a Strat or because he's going from an economically sound MIM instrument to a pricier MIA instrument.

10. awasson

awasson Tele-Afflicted

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Tuning problems are definitely a thing of the past but I've experienced it. I've had problems with 3+3 tuners having too much side deflection which would catch on the nut at the b string causing it to be tricky to tune or stay in tune and the old tuners that the MIM guitars from the 90's had were difficult to keep in tune. The ratio was ok but they had to much slop in the mechanism to work well.

Today if I were buying a brand new guitar and not a custom shop or special series guitar, it would be a MIM guitar. They're built so well and well appointed, it's foolish to pass up their value.

RevBillyG and william tele like this.
  11. fraser

fraser Tele-Holic

Sep 8, 2007
    Hamilton, Canada
    I don't know.
    If I was only going to own a couple electrics they'd be strats.
    That's my preference.

I owned 6 or 7 strats before I got a tele.
    I still own them and use them more than my 2 teles.

You can say I'm wrong all you want,
    But that's my choice.

You can also say I'm wrong because I shun big clean amps like the twin,
    Preferring instead to crank something smaller for more dirt.
    Again my choice.

If I see a guy sporting a Les Paul thru a Marshall stack I may snicker to myself but I won't call him wrong.

I'm actually a bit confused by this thread lol.

Route67 and william tele like this.
  12. riff

riff TDPRI Member

May 15, 2010
    Springfield, MO
    He needs your permission or approval to play a Strat vs a Tele? Or an American vs Mexican? Why? And if it is a mistake, maybe he'll learn something from it. Or maybe it's not a mistake at all.

MilwMark likes this.
  13. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2016
    NorthEast U.S.
    I'm a Marshall guy and I'd love a twin!!

14. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Certainly are no rules on this stuff. I hear good sounds on Country songs made by LP's, PRS, Strats, Teles...etc. I hear good sounds on Jazz, Blues, Punk, RR, Soul made by LP's, PRS, Strats, Teles etc. And the amps run the gamut as well.

I have to admit that I'm floored sometimes when I see the guitar that's producing amazing sounds in a genre that isn't stereotypical for that model...but if it works it works!

Viva the diffs!

awasson likes this.
  15. RevBillyG

RevBillyG TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Texas
    I apologize if I came across wrong. I'm on your side. Your friend needs you.

It's not an insult to say you need to brush up on your debate skills. We all could get better. Heck, I'm usually telling my friends to buy new stuff so I don't have to.

GoldDeluxe5E3 and drlucky like this.
  16. Ira7

Ira7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    As you probably know, I edited my original post after reading yours for the second time.

I totally misinterpreted the meaning and good intention of the first part of it.

I'm old, decrepit, and crotchety in situations where I shouldn't be.

My bad.

RevBillyG likes this.
  17. Ira7

Ira7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    And I need your approval or permission to give him my heartfelt advice?

A friend?

Ever heard of one, or do people around you just claim to be such?

My God.

18. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Concord CA
    OK.

Everybody here is right, everybody here is wrong, everybody knows what's better, everybody here is a philistine, everybody here has a great instrument, everybody here has a piece of junk.

All I know is that you've all finally made me itch to get some practice in, and that's what I am going to do. Thanks to all of you, I appreciate the motivation.

RevBillyG likes this.
  19. meric

meric Tele-Holic

Feb 17, 2010
    Vancouver
    Hi Ira7, Yes, I am saying that his opinion on what he likes is as valid as all of the other opinions that have ever been posted on this forum. That is not sophistry. Did you really mean to accuse me of presenting a fallacious argument with the intent to deceive? I was merely giving you my opinion.
    I have been wrong many times before and may even be wrong now....who knows ?

20. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2016
    Blues country
    Well, Maybe to him a MIA Strat felt and sounded better to him than a MIM tele. Cant speak much for the Tele, but i know I love my MIA strat more than my MIM strat. the neck feels far better to me, and the alnico pups sound much better than the ceramic pups.

What ever inspires him to pickup the guitar more and play. Best you can do is be there and play with him! Show him that tone is in the hands and soul, not the gear.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  21. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    All I play are junky guitars made of parts, what's the deal? I avoid strats: overrated, over appreciated.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.