Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My first Veroboard build

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by zippofan, Jul 8, 2018.

1. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I left myself a little extra room on the board for mistakes, so I should be able to add mods in there. On a whim I also picked up the Guitar PCB special "boost" sale package of 4 PCBs they had earlier this week that has a modded Peppermill board (they called it Blues Power or something like that) in case I totally futzed up the tagboard since it's so old. I had one pad come up on me, and it wasn't from too much heat, the lead moved when I was soldering and up and away came the pad.

With a little luck I should be able to fire it up over the weekend and see what it does. So far I haven't found any gremlins with the basic wiring, but that doesn't mean anything lol.

awasson likes this.
  2. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    I also made mine on the ROG perf way back when it was the only layout available. I added the changes after I had already built it so I designed the tone controls to minimize the changes needed to the ROG layout. There is room on the board for the bass cap without any alterations if the cap is small enough. I used a tiny tantalum cap, but you could easily fit a a regular electro cap in there, maybe a box cap. Green chiclets need not apply. The treble control doesn't require adding anything extra to the board. You just need to rewire it to the pot.

zippofan likes this.
  3. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    Unfortunately, I'm not going to make it any easier for you to resist the temptation ;) Since I started building pedals about a year ago I've found it takes some of the pressure off the urge to build amps. Pedals take up less space in my increasingly crowded guitar room, and they are a lot cheaper to build. Since I started building on vero and ordering my parts from Tayda (except stomp switches which are somehow cheaper on Amazon), I figure most pedals cost me between $10 and $20 to build, compared to $200 to $500 for my amp builds depending on the design and quantity of new vs harvested radio parts. Pedals are definitely more cost effective per hour spent as a hobby, and they are pretty easy to sell off if you don't bond with them or get bored and want to turn them into money to buy more parts.

zippofan and awasson like this.
  4. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah baby, this thing sounds great even before modding it! Only made one mistake, not bad for +20 years since i last did a tagboard, a stupid one too, forgot one pin to pin connection on the trimmer :oops:
    It biased up pretty darn close to the ROG published voltages too. I also went with a generic J201, I was going to try the PF5102 but I just got a bunch of J201's in the last order. Interesting that a generic part sounded better than genuine Siliconix. I didn't go through all the devices, just a few of each. The BS170s all pretty much measured the same in circuit.

Now the fun part... :twisted: drilling the enclosure, no paint though it's a black transparent powder coat. Scan the antique matchbox for the decal, print, clear coat that, apply, clear coat the box and wire...phew. Somewhere in there I'm going to try some mods!

PepperMill_clips.jpg

Urshurak776 and con brio like this.
  5. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Just finished up the Peppermill...I only included the gain increase on the input stage so far by adding a 1K resistor in parallel with the original.
    Gutshot:
    Peppermill_gutshot.jpg

The graphics are from an antique (1940's I think) matchbox:
    Peppermill_top.jpg Peppermill_bottom.jpg
    And the front:
    Peppermill_front.jpg

6. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2014
    Philippines
    Andy Timmons in a box

IMG20180919072744.jpg IMG20180919072714.jpg IMG20180919071617.jpg

Urshurak776 and zippofan like this.
  7. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
  8. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2014
    Philippines

Not an exact clone of the original circuit..

zippofan likes this.
  9. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Man, another with four pots, I admire your drilling skills! I have enough fun with three lol. And I have to color code my wire or I'll get lost, but I love the way a single color looks, nice and neat.

cacophony likes this.
  10. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2014
    Philippines
    One of the pots and the LED holder were actually off-centered, just a tad hair. I had to file on one side to line them back in and to cover the flaw. :D

zippofan likes this.
  11. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2014
    Philippines
    BYOC Tremolo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

zippofan and awasson like this.
  12. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    Just a wild guess, but I'm thinking it's probably a good time to order some more vero board.

Nickfl, zippofan, matmosphere and 2 others like this.
  13. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Got a wild hair to paint this one purple:
    NagaViperinProg.jpg

Naga Viper clone board from Jeds Peds in the UK. I was going to do a Vero but I confess, I got lazy :D
    Fun part will be the decals...the purple is too dark for homemade clear waterslides so I'm trying something different.

cacophony likes this.
  14. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Making more progress...I've wanted to build this Spaceman boost for awhile, and had the old mil-spec LED hanging around since the 1980's waiting for just the right build. The drill layout was a hoot, whew, managed to get it all to fit, including a battery.
    First time for depletion mode MOSFETs too.
    Waiting on some silver decals for the Naga Viper, and I'll start the Spaceman decal tomorrow, now it's time for a cold drink :D

Flint Viper.jpg Flint Viper guts.jpg

Urshurak776 likes this.
  15. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Decals for the Saturn V boost came out pretty good. Took a long time to get them where I wanted, but I think it'll be cool on the chrome powder coat.
    Speaking of, the chrome powder coat looks terrific in person, though it shows hairline scratches just as easy as a polished enclosure. I have another polished aluminum box for the Lovepedal Karl fuzz build that is in the queue, but I don't know if I'll go that route again. Paint or regular color powder coat doesn't show those scratches!

Spaceman_decals.jpg

cacophony, Urshurak776 and awasson like this.
  16. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2014
    Philippines
    Multicab Sim

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rehoused Aion Compressor in Seafoam Green
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

awasson, Bristlehound and zippofan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.