Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My first Veroboard build

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by zippofan, Jul 8, 2018.

1. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I like to use a DPDT so it’s easier to switch.

Some effects with a Millenium circuit need a little help with the pull down to ground on the sense wire. A 1 Meg Ohm resistor to ground solves that problem. Otherwise it seems pretty stable and for what it’s worth, I think the version I was fine.

The other option is relays. I’m running a SPST switch on my Reverb unit. The switch actuates a micro sized relay about the size of an IC that handles the true bypass. The switch also drives the LED.

Eventually I’d like to put together a simple circuit that uses a momentary switch to latch a relay. I’m not sure if I’ll use a handful of transistors or use a chip for that yet. I haven’t put any time into it but I bought a bunch of momentary foot switches to do it with.

cacophony likes this.
  2. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    More great looking builds!

Ever since I discovered the Lumberg 1/4" jacks I include them in 1590Bs as they give me more room. More expensive than the Switchcraft's I always used to use, but worth it in the smaller boxes. My next build is in a 1590B, then I'm back to 125B's for awhile.

As an aside, do you have a preference for metal film vs carbon film? I used a combination of both in my compressor board as it's what I had and I was a little worried about excess noise. I didn't hear any when I tested the comp on my little Mojo Diamond bench amp/cab (they're tiny but sound great amazingly enough) though I've yet to fire it up on my bigger amps. I also have a stash of old carbon comp resistors from when I started as a kid. I haven't used any in a long time, and I spotted one in your Timmy @awasson :cool:

Orders placed at Small Bear and Mouser for the next round! Got some PF5102's to sub for J201's, but I ordered a bunch of them too, and I'm looking forward to trying these LND150N3-G depletion mode MOSFETs in the Dead End FX Flint harmonic boost. That will be my first time building a Millenium bypass too.

Sprayed a box last night, decal printing today. My wife thinks I'm nuts lol.

Urshurak776 likes this.
  3. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Love reading this thread. I have so many builds going on! I have parts for a Timmy, Madbean Greenbean (Tube screamer) and a deep blue delay and colorsound one knob fuzz. I have already started a Klon kit build. Plus I am working on my Les Paul guitar kit and gathering parts for a 5E3 tube amp. Cabinet is in progress in garage. You guys are killing me!

Oh, +1 on those lumberg jacks. Well worth the cost no matter what size pedal enclosure.

zippofan likes this.
  4. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I’ve got a whack of old components I picked up from the estate of a TV repairman in the late 80’s. They were pretty ancient when I got them. I’ve even got some of those ancient 741 Opamps that came in the little round can before they started making them in dip chips. That’s where that old school resistor came from. I do have a small inventory of metal film resistors that I used in a tube amp build last years. They’re so small, I thought I ordered the wrong wattage but sure enough, they were the right ones; just super tiny.

My compressor was the first pedal I built. It was before I thought about low noise resistors or caps. I’ll have to have a look at it again. I’m sure it’s full of spare parts components but it’s not noisy and works really welll as one of those pedals you don’t notice until it’s off.

As @Urshurak776 says, great thread and full of good info. I’ll have to try those 125B enclosures to get a little more room to move. I’ve got a bunch of Fuzzface variants that need boxing and I’m building a Zendrive (missing 3 capacitors). Then I want to build a Clon and eventually I’ll build a nice Chorus. I built a Madbean Glam Chorus but it sounds too artificial. I want the same Chorus effect as the one in my Princeton Chorus amp. I think it’ll be a Boss CE2 clone: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2014/06/boss-ce-2.html

Urshurak776 and zippofan like this.
  5. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I love seeing everyone's pedal builds! I have some crazy ideas for stuff, and it keeps me busy messing around with guitars, amps and effects instead of, like cutting the grass :lol:, good thing it's rainy today.

My father-in-law is an old time TV guy, his parts stash is staggering. I asked to buy some NOS tubes from him and he gave me a bunch, plus he can test 'em all. When I was dating and first married I used to go on TV calls with him. Unfortunately no one fixes anything any more, I know he misses it. Every once in awhile he'll get a call for an old heirloom set but it's pretty few and far between. Plus my back isn't up to lugging around solid cherry or walnut TV consoles any more lol.

Printed the decal sheet, as soon as the ink is dry I'll lacquer them and I'm going to try spraying a coat of clear on the box before I decal too. The Testors lacquer goes on great, but because there is so much flake in the paint it's more semi-gloss when dry. I want as smooth a surface as I can get before I put on the decals.

Urshurak776 and awasson like this.
  6. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2014
    Philippines
  7. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

May 27, 2015
    District of Columbia
    Nice! I always say it but I love a good Timmy. Paul C hit a big home run with that one.

Urshurak776 likes this.
  8. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Here's my first tagboard build...in over 20 years! The piece is at least that old, I found it stashed in my electronics components drawers under some old power supply boards. I'm looking forward to the Peppermill, I've heard a few demos and they sound great.
    IMG_0243.jpg IMG_0244.jpg

Urshurak776, con brio and awasson like this.
  9. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

Apr 21, 2016
    New Zealand
    Nice :) Peppermill is on my list of pedals to build too. Looking forward to seeing how it goes for you

zippofan likes this.
  10. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    The peppermill really starts to come alive when you increase the gain of the mosfet. It's a bit bland with low output pickups where they have the mosfet gain set. Adding in some more bass also helps it from being too shrill due the high input impedance. Either that or modding the low pass filter at the end of the circuit. That filter isn't really doing anything with the values they have listed. Adding bass and treble pots to a peppermill make it much more flexible.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    zippofan and awasson like this.
  11. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    That’s been my experience with the Peppermill too. With a humbucker outfitted guitar it was really great but it almost became a clean boost with single coils. Mind you, I couldn’t get the J201 and substituted a PF5102 for it. I was able to bias it correctly but I wonder if a J201 would be livelier.

BTW, I’m glad we have a shared interest in pedals and electronics. I’m not going to spar about public companies with you but I’ll talk stomp boxes with you any day of the week.

12. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    @cacophony, try an LM1458 chip in your Timmy. That is what I plan on using in my build. I also bought the stock 4559 chip to try it (and I see you have the 4558 chip.)

The LM1458 really smooths it out. A friend of mine (who is a MUCH better guitar player than I will ever be) told me it makes all the difference in the world.

zippofan and cacophony like this.
  13. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2014
    Philippines
    Thanks @Urshurak776! Will try it this weekend and let you know. It's my favorite low gain OD to date.

zippofan and Urshurak776 like this.
  14. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL

You're making me one to build one of those, and I don't need to get into pedal building. I'm in the middle of my 5th amp build (a brown Super), and I've still have chassis to do a Marshall build, and a Trainwreck build.

zippofan and Urshurak776 like this.
  15. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    That's hardcore right there. I haven't done a point to point perfboard thing for many years and mine always ended up being a mass of wires and jumpers.

Here's my attempt at a Peppermill. It works much better with a humbucker than a single coil.

IMG_4035.jpg IMG_4036.jpg IMG_4038.jpg

zippofan likes this.
  16. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

Apr 21, 2016
    New Zealand
    Everyone saying it works better with humbuckers than singles, that’s really useful info. It might change my plans.

@awasson I had never thought to mark the back of the pots with their function. Thanks!

awasson likes this.
  17. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    It works fine with single coils but it doesn't give up the grittiness that you can get from higher output pickups and it's inherently shrill AF, but some people like piercing treble. It's way overhyped in my opinion.

A few easy mods can take it from a shrill, mediocre OD to a very good overdrive. The simple solution for more gain is to swap out the 1k resistor from the mosfet to ground to something around 300R for more gain out of the mosfet to drive the jfet harder. If you want it to be cleaner at min gain, you can try something in the neighborhood of 470R to 560R. Then add some more bass before the jfet and trim some treble after the jfet and it becomes a much better OD.

It has a unique timbre to it that's different from your typical op amp/diode OD, so it's worth building.

zippofan, awasson and con brio like this.
  18. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    That’s some good advice and yup, I found it to be shrill with my Strat or Telecaster but not so much with a humbucker guitar. 300 ohms was what I was planning to replace that 1k resistor with.

I think it would be a more flexible unit if it had a proper tone control.

19. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    Here are the tone controls that I ended up with. The treble control makes it usable with any pickups without the shrillness and allows you dial all the treble back in if you want it. The bass control allows you to fatten it up and bring back the bass that gets filtered out with the stock config. Both can be easily added to PCB or perf layouts.

[​IMG]

Iago, zippofan and con brio like this.
  20. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Very nice! That’s just what the doctor ordered. Thanks for that.

Your right about the personality of this effect. It’s got a different timbre than an Opamp/diode overdrive and it’s way different than a fuzz distortion. It’s in its own category and a pretty simple build so it’s well worth building.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.