Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My first Veroboard build

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by zippofan, Jul 8, 2018.

1. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    @cacophony, that’s some mighty fine work fitting everything in to the enclosure in the EQD Talons. I don’t know how you managed to get the 6 potentiometers, plus the in/out jacks to fit in and around the vero board so well. I’ve managed to do a couple of really tight builds but the most I’ve fit into a 1590 sized enclosure is 4 pots and a mini switch. Nicely done!

zippofan and cacophony like this.
  2. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2014
    Philippines
    Thanks! I managed to fit 'em altogether using BuggFX's drill template (https://www.pedalpcb.com/docs/Chela.pdf). Normally 125b boxes have larger room than 1590b's that's why I prefer to use them in all of my builds. The top mounted jacks are nice touch too, as I can do this, leaving little gap between pedals:

[​IMG]

3. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Wow, nice builds! I have enough trouble drilling for 2-3 knob boxes, but 6, I can hear a few choice words when I try to drill them ;-)

I've been tempted more than once to get pre-finished/drilled boxes from the usual suspects (PedalParts, Mammoth) but then it seems like I'll be giving up on part of the whole process. One of the best purchases I made early on were step bits so I don't have to ask my friend to use his drill press. I do have a couple power coated boxes, but I messed one up making the Love Smush comp. I can use it for another build but now the color doesn't match my idea, so it's getting painted over. I've found the gray powder coated 125B boxes from Small Bear work great as a primer for my chosen paint (Testor's lacquer) so I don't expect it to be a problem, other than the usual when spraying from rattle cans.

So far I've stuck with simpler Vero's, but I'd love to do a RAH clone, or a Supreaux Deux. Since both have PCBs available from FuzzDog, or THCustom/others, I'm more likely to cheat though.

cacophony likes this.
  4. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    My P45 Phaser has just arrived from FuzzDog... so that's next week's project. (n.b. In the UK your P45 form is what you're given when you're made redundant.)

I once got a pre-drilled pedal from the poodle, but I really didn't like the layout. The footswitch was too far up, the 9V input socket was at the bottom of the box and the jacks were opposite each other. I stick to drilling my own now.

zippofan likes this.
  5. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2014
    Philippines
    zippofan likes this.
  6. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Whoa, that's sweet! I've just been using the GGG paper templates and adjusting as needed with Dad's old carpenter square, machinist rulers and a little bit of luck. Good thing I just got paid, so that's three orders for this weekend, Mouser, Small Bear and Pedal PCB lol.

I'm glad I'm able to use the box that I drilled wrong for the Love Squeeze comp for a Tone Bender fuzz, though I'm gonna paint over the powder coat now as I had a specific idea for that graphic.

Since I'm old, I make all my pedals with room for 9V batteries, as that's the way they all came back when I started playing. I don't know if I would bother with delay/time based effects though. I built a MOD kits reverb, and a battery doesn't last long at all powering that Belton brick. Pretty nice reverb BTW, and gave me inspiration to take on their tube amp kit, which also came out nice.

cacophony likes this.
  7. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I’ve got a bunch of 1590 wrong drilled boxes now... I’ve been reboxing pedals as time permits. Those powder coated ones from Tayada are the bomb!

Hey, here’s a 4 knob delay that fits a battery, just like they used to be made. This is it done but waiting for the delay chip. I’m using a DPDT switch for true bypass and a Millennium II bypass circuit to turn on the LED. It is my always on effect now.

6E904515-F1E7-4825-8F28-456E2F42833D.jpeg

Attached Files:

cacophony and zippofan like this.
  8. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    Since a few different people have posted nice looking vero builds here I have a question for the group... how are you securing your circuit board in your box? I've been using stick on velcro pads to stick the board to the back of the pots, but they don't stick very well to the soldered side of the board and tend to pull off rather than actually separating at the velcro if you pull the board out. Have any of you found a better solution than this?

9. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    So far I've just been using foam tape, but I've only done the two Vero builds so far. It doesn't work that well either, so I picked up some of the Scotch outdoor tape to try.

Tone Eee likes this.
  10. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Wow! Now that's a tight build, looks great!
    The only delay I have a battery in now is a Danelectro Fab Delay that lives on top of my Vox AC4 in the living room with a Fulltone 2B boost. It's the only amp my wife doesn't complain about, unless the master goes above 2, heh.

I've only done true bypass so far, but the DeadEnd Fx board I have is a Millenium bypass. I'm looking forward to that build. "digi2t" has a Vero over on DIYStompboxes for it too but I wanted to try out their PCB's, very nice.

11. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2014
    Philippines
    What I do is mount at least 1 pot on the board using spare legs from resistors / caps/ diodes... Or better yet, PCB mount pots from Tayda. I agree with awasson. Their boxes are the bomb!
    IMG20180831114120[1].jpg

zippofan and awasson like this.
  12. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    That seems like a good way to do it, except most existing vero layouts don't seem all that friendly to the idea. Are you making your own layouts or altering existing ones to make this work?

13. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2014
    Philippines
    This. When using tagboard layouts I usually add 2-3 more columns to accommodate the PCB mounted pots. And cut the traces with an Xacto knife instead of enlarging existing holes.

PS. I use jumpers (red wires) as evident in post # 20.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    zippofan, Nickfl and awasson like this.
  14. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Nicely done. I just looked at your Talons build again and see some evidence of where the controls are mounted. I will definitely have to up my game and use some of those techniques. Thanks for sharing those details.

zippofan and cacophony like this.
  15. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2014
    Philippines
    Thanks! On that build only the bass pot is mounted on the PCB. The rest is wired ;)

16. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2014
    Philippines
  17. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I have got to rebox my Timmy. I’ve already reboxed it once but it’s still crowded. I’ve got it in a 1590 and I think I’ve just got my jacks and footswitch in the wrong areas for it to work right. It works ok but I know I can do better.

91F55EA8-2F61-494C-849E-EA11EF92F105.jpeg

AAEFC5BB-BE91-4267-A456-8307EF22713E.jpeg

7EC82D4C-FC3C-4691-8907-568225665B3F.jpeg

082329D3-FCA9-457E-AB85-EAAA2827032E.jpeg

Urshurak776, zippofan and cacophony like this.
  18. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2014
    Philippines
    That's gotta be tight. Which version of millennium bypass did you use?

19. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I use the Mark II version where you use a JFet with a general purpose transistor as a low leakage diode. I use scraps of tagboard for the circuit and recently I’ve been using the ones illustrated in this discussion (post #5): https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=99269.0

cacophony likes this.
  20. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2014
    Philippines
    Thanks for sharing! Though it's been years since I've shied away from Millennium Bypass, this one could be worth a comeback.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.