Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My first Veroboard build

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by zippofan, Jul 8, 2018.

1. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I just finished up my first Veroboard build for my son, we were talking about classic effects awhile back and I mentioned the Distortion + and the DOD 250 overdrive. I got him a Rat (Chicago Stompworks) and an Ibanez Tube Screamer awhile back, but he was curious about the DOD 250 as he knew I had a Stompworks clone. I have been getting more into building lately, the latest being a BYOC FA-1 preamp, so I took the plunge into the Veroboard world, thanks to the DIY forums and Tagboard Effects. I figured I'd make him his own DOD 250 clone, so I used one of the Tagboard Effects layouts. It sounds great, maybe even better than the pedal I already have. Both have uA741 opamps and "gray spec" layouts.

A couple of surprises, I socketed the clippers so we could try out a bunch. I have a stash of all kinds of diodes, so I started with the classic 1N4148s, tried a bunch of other 1N4xxx, some 1N34a's I have had stashed since the early 80s, Soviet D9's (K I think), and some cheapo 3mm LEDs. He liked the classic diodes, but loved the sound of LED clippers better. Smooth and 'glassy', not too harsh which I figured they would be. There was enough of a difference between red and green that he chose green. Another mod was a 120pF cap that wasn't in the original pedal, a 25pF was installed later in the reissues but the early schematics I've seen (and reflected in the Tagboard layout) had 120pF. I didn't have a 120 ceramic, but I did have a silver mica stashed from who knows what. Maybe that's why the LEDs sounded so good. I also tried a linear Level pot and liked it a little better than the audio taper.

I finally got it boxed up in a 125B last week, and tore it back down to paint. He asked for blue, so I used a Testors lacquer. The decal is just clear Avery address label with Krylon clear. Came out OK, and he's got it plugged in now doing some recording so he's happy. I've just dug a hole that I will be in a long time now that I can build just about anything I can find a layout/schematic for!

Here's the final result with my gray box Chicago Stompworks version:

DOD250_finalgutshot.jpg DOD250_final.jpg

You can see underneath what I'm building next, a Fuzz Dog "Llamatron" :)

Phrygian77, Tone Eee, Nickfl and 3 others like this.

2. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Looks great! I am in progress with an MXR distortion plus using an Aion PCB. I am going to try a one knob fuzz on vero next.

zippofan likes this.

3. stringsthings

stringsthings TDPRI Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Indiana US
    I like how you made the 250 look like a DOD. Welcome to the world of vero.

zippofan likes this.

4. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Finished my sons last night. I used a JRC4558 (provisions for a dual opamp are on the Aion pcb.). The standard clipping diode options didn't make much difference at all. Very subtle. Pedal sounds great though. I still need labels.
    IMG_0380.jpg IMG_0379.jpg

Anode100 and zippofan like this.

5. stringsthings

stringsthings TDPRI Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Indiana US
    Nice! Love the look of the green meanies.

zippofan and Urshurak776 like this.

6. con brio

con brio Tele-Meister

Apr 21, 2016
    New Zealand
    Apparently the DOD 250, D+, and MXR Microamp are very similar circuits. The old VFE pedal line had a unit called the Distortion 3 that had a bunch of controls to let you mix together any combination of the three that you liked. It seems like you could probably figure out some set of mods to do this yourself. Otherwise, after Peter Rutter discontinued the majority of his old line, he's made schematics to his old pedals available for a single $10 purchase.

chemobrain and zippofan like this.

7. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I know that the main differences between the three are the clipping diodes or lack of them in the Micro Amp. The D+ used germanium vs the DOD's silicon 1N4148's. In the build for my son, he liked the sound of LEDs which gives more 'clean' headroom vs regular silicon or especially germanium as the forward voltage is higher with LEDs. I should have planned to place the diodes through the top of the enclosure, it looks cool when they light up on a big chord :cool:.
    The DOD 250 et.al. is a simple circuit, and good for a first Vero build. Some of the layouts I've seen would require a lot of patience to get right so I'm staying with pretty simple circuits for now. I also haven't mastered transferring schematics to Vero/perfboard yet, so for now I stick with verified layouts.

I see Madbean has some VFE PCBs including the Distortion 3, and I'm especially interested in the Pinball Tilt EQ. Once it is released I'm going to pick one up for a build.

con brio likes this.

8. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    And I just finished my second Vero build :) Came out pretty nice too, a good sounding circuit from DIYStomboxes, Tagboard effects, and Tone Report.
    I started with the Tone Report build and then found out (after I cut the Vero) that it was actually from another circuit from DIYStompboxes. Well, I already started so I completed the Tone Report build but I think the Tagboard layout is better. Regardless, it's a great overdrive/fuzz, and it was a lot of fun to build, well worth your time.
    The "SuzyQ Harmonic Clipper"

SuzyQ_Complete.jpg SuzyQ_Guts_Complete.jpg

Nickfl likes this.

9. Sarde

Sarde Tele-Meister

Apr 16, 2016
    San Pedro, CA
    Peter at VFE gave the guy who runs madbeanpedals.com (Brian) his blessing (and his old stock pcb's) to make and sell VFE project pcb's. He just released the Distortion 3; he has 17 VFW projects up now and more to come.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/index.html

zippofan likes this.

10. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Are those 'comp', 'clip', and 'treble' mods similar to Brian Wampler's mods?
    I remember reading an article about mods to the D+.

Premier Guitar article ... https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/mxr-distortion-plus-mods-1

It's great that there's *so much* useful information out there for anyone who fancies building / repairing / tinkering with pedals - and it's even cooler you get to build these for your son!

11. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    I built one of those a few months ago (using the Tagboard effects layout) and it is one of my favorite builds to date. It sounds good with pretty much any amp and guitar I have and really does nail that John Fogerty/Kustom sound.

IMG_20180121_211236-COLLAGE (1).jpg

12. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I believe so. The values i chose for clipping are very subtle though. My son likes it though and it's always on!

zippofan likes this.

13. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Which transistors did you use, 2N7000 or BS170? I tried both and found the BS170's would give a gnarlier fuzz, a little thicker tone than the 2N7000 especially when tweaking the bias pot all the way up. The bias pot is a lot more subtle with the 2N7000 with a definite transition at about 9-10 o'clock from a brighter, more overdrive effect to thicker fuzz.
    After going back and forth a couple times (socketed transistors and diode clippers) I stayed with the 2N7000, and I get a great Fogerty style tone with my Thinline (Cavalier pickups). After I boxed it, I kicked on my tremolo and played (badly) a bunch of Creedence. Great tone, thanks to pinkjimiphoton, digi2t and the crew on diystompboxes!

matmosphere likes this.

14. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    I used 2n7000 transistors in my build, I socketed them but haven't tried anything else in there. Looking through my stash, I don't have any BS170 anyway, maybe I'll get some next time I order from Tayda if they are back in stock. Its funny, I always socket transistors and ICs, but rarely actually make use of the ability to switch them out.

zippofan likes this.

15. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    The only trick with the BS170's in the Clipper is they install reverse of the 2N7000's because of their pinout. I picked up a bunch of MOSFETs from Small Bear on my last order to mess around with.
    I'm actually tempted to build the Tagboardeffects layout with the BS170s and some Russian D9K (?I think they are) diodes I snagged off the 'Bay. Their Fv is in between the ITT diodes I used in the first build and the standard 1N34a's I have stashed from the late 70s. The tones are just different enough to make it worth another.

16. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

May 27, 2015
    District of Columbia
    Credence eh!! I gues I need to get building.

zippofan likes this.

17. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I think you'd like it. I'm not a big fuzz guy, with only a Big Muff clone and a JHS Pollinator, but a buddy of mine told me about the circuit in Kustom amps and asked if it was around in pedal form. I was surprised to find the Tone Report version, I wish I spotted the Tagboardeffects version first though. I'm not sure how much the extra bias trimmer does on the latter, but usually more bias control is better than less, especially with a fuzz.

Next up is a Harmonic Percolator from a FuzzDog board, parts sourced from my stash and Small Bear (NOS Ti 2N404a, Fairchild 2N3565, ITT 1N? diodes w/Fv .25V, and chicklet, mica and ceramic caps) I installed the diode lift switch, it's amazing how much the diodes bleed off signal to ground. Makes for a really raw fuzz though, nothing like I've heard before. It I wasn't going for vintage parts I'd try LEDs for clippers to open her up. I heard OA126 diodes will do that too.

Urshurak776 likes this.

18. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

May 27, 2015
    District of Columbia
    I might give this version a go

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2013/02/jimi-photon-suzy-q-mkii.html?m=1

Didn’t read the whole development thread yet so I don’t know why Jimi moved to an IC, but heck, I’ll probably just build both anyway.

I built a Percolator a while back. It sounds good but I was expecting something a little more unruly than what I got. It really doesn’t stand out to me.

For a while I was thinking it’d be cool to do a Jerkulator with a Octavia style octave up on the back end. I experimented for a while but never got back to it.

Urshurak776 and zippofan like this.

19. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I got lost in that thread as to why the move to the IC, I didn't find the Mk1 all that noisy, and it has a distinctive Creedence vibe to it.
    The Jerkulator is on my breadboard list since I have a ton of different Si transistors to try. I'm doing the box for the Percolator now, something way different than the usualy "clone by" with OEM logos. I was camping with our BSA troop not long ago and noticed the similarity of a 125B enclosure with something else so I can't wait to see how it comes out. My son is helping me with the artwork while I set up his SG.

Urshurak776 likes this.

20. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2014
    Philippines
    EQD Talons
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lovepedal Eternity Burst
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ross Compressor
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

zippofan likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.