Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My First Tele Kit

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jason Robitaille, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Jason Robitaille

Jason Robitaille TDPRI Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Toronto
    Hey Guys, I'm new here and just wanted to post my first Tele kit build (well my first steps so far) I'm trying out Fiebing's leather Dye and Tru-Oil combo (i've never used either products) So far its looking great.

Here it is after I gave it a 180grit, 220grit and 400 grit, prepped for the leather dye.

[​IMG]

And here it is after 2 coats of the Fiebings dye.

[​IMG]

I've also started posted some videos to youtube of my whole journey with this telecaster, let me know what you guys think.

PaulieBoy likes this.

2. PaulieBoy

PaulieBoy Former Member

Mar 28, 2016
    gone
    Shaping up very nicely! I can't wait to see the finished product. Keeps the pics coming!

3. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

Apr 7, 2012
    Houston, TX
    What brand is the kit? Where did you acquire it? What will you use over leather dyre? Are you using the stock pups?

4. Jason Robitaille

Mar 31, 2016
    Toronto
    Thanks guys, I bought the kit at diyguitarkits.net I couldn't really find any reviews on the quality of the kit, so I'm hopeful that I don't have to do any overhauls on the neck frets etc.. it looks to be really nice so far. The kit came as a paddle headstock so i've cut the shape using a coping saw from a template. For now i'm gonna use the stock pickups but I may consider custom wound ones if it plays well. It came with a modern bridge so i've swapped it out for a vintage ash tray bridge and added compensated brass saddles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Jason Robitaille

Mar 31, 2016
    Toronto
    Hey Guys, its been a few weeks and I've made some more progress, I've got a couple more vids and some photos of where i'm at.

I've done 15 coats of Tru Oil and used steel wool between coats after about the 7th coat to level it off. Unfortunately I can't quite get it smooth enough to be a mirror finish like I usually can do with lacquer. I realize Tru Oil is an entirely different beast.. It feels so nice to the touch, but I'm not sure i'll do it again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've done about 7 coats on the neck and I'm quite happy with the result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Jason Robitaille

Mar 31, 2016
    Toronto
    Okay here's the latest, after about 16 coats of tru oil I decided to do a wetsand on the entire body in an effort to see if I could level it even further, as a result, I somehow sanded through some of the raised portions of the grain.... I then had to reapply a couple of coats of tru to the entire thing. It still looks good and definitely has character, but its not exactly the look I was hoping for. I can't really achieve a mirror finish with tru oil thats forsure, and I just can't see myself adding another 15 coats if thats what it takes.

[​IMG]

nick0 likes this.

7. nick0

nick0 Tele-Meister

Feb 2, 2015
    South Wales, UK
    It looks very nice

8. Jason Robitaille

Mar 31, 2016
    Toronto
    here's another angle to help demonstrate the sanded spots (lighter grainy areas)

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.