Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My First Build: Warmoth Strat

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Hyliandeity, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Hyliandeity

Hyliandeity TDPRI Member

May 4, 2014
    Boston
    Pretty big update coming:

Electronics! I am using Jeff Beck Hot Noiseless pickups, an Eric Clapton Midboost kit wired with a true bypass, One master volume, TBX master tone for Lowpass or Highpass filter, and one knob for the midboost level. Normal Fender 5-way switching. I mostly followed Awasson's wiring diagram found here. I also used a TBX tone though, so it is a little different. I shaved the corners off the PCB to get the boost to fit in, and used cardboard and a little plastic component bag to keep it from shorting:

[​IMG]

Here is the wiring all attached to the pickguard:

[​IMG]

And here is a peak inside at the boost fitting in the control cavity:

[​IMG]

Next step for me was getting the neck done. I have been scared of drilling the tuner guideholes. My process started by lining the tuners up with a straight edge and marking the location of the guideholes with pencil. Next, I took the tuners off and put a slight indent in the wood with a spring loaded dowel, which can be seen below:

[​IMG]

I clamped the neck down and brought it out to the drill press. I was very meticulous here. I checked the depth setting, triple checked the drilling location, and clamped the neck down separately for each of the 6 holes I drilled:

[​IMG]

And after all that worrying, the holes were drilled with no problems at all:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the tuners on, I had to put the neck and body together. I was slow with the neck screws, applied lots of bar soap to the threads, and made sure to stop and readjust if the screws weren't going in easily. The match went really well. I had two partial sets of strings that were both missing the high and low E-string, so I strung up the middle four strings to test the electronics:

[​IMG]

My first impressions of its playing so far (with only 4 strings, of course):

• I LOVE the roasted maple neck. It is fast and smooth, and smells kinda sweet, too.
    • The tremelo is fun, and the $30 guitar fetish locking tuners are doing well despite its abuse
    • I may have accidentally gotten a linear pot for my volume instead of audio. I bought it from a local shop, and it is a CTS pot, but it seems like the volume doesn't change much throughout its roll until it shuts off. Thoughts here? It also seemed to crackle a little bit...
    • The TBX tone is interesting. I need to train my ear to hear it, but it does help reduce the boominess of the midboost.
    • The midboost is nifty. I am glad I put a bypass switch in though. Even at its lowest level, it is significantly louder. It isn't very usable when it is rolled all the way on, though. I like the location I put the switch, it is very easy to access. I may still try to lower it some, we'll see.
    Everything is going well! Next up is drilling the holes for the pickguard and strap buttons, then I'm pretty much good to go. Any advice on how to drill for the strap button on the upper horn? Also, any thoughts on the taper of the volume pot? Does that description sound like a liner taper to anyone else? I may try to pick up a new pot tomorrow after work.

2. stringsthings

stringsthings TDPRI Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Indiana US
    Great job on the drilling!

I would just use a handheld drill for the strap button hole.
    You can mark the hole location with your punch.
    Tape off your drill bit so you don't drill too deep.
    Use a bit that's smaller than the diameter of the screw. You can enlarge the hole if it's too skinny.
    Use some soap or wax on the threads and screw it in by hand. I've done many of these and they're no problem.
    If you want to be extra careful of the surrounding paint, you can put a piece of tape over where the hole will be before you drill.
    This may prevent any finish lifting. This is pretty much unnecessary since the strap button itself will cover the hole and surrounding area very well.

As for the volume pot: you can buy an audio taper CTS pot and swap it in. Many online places sell them if you can live with the current one
    for a few days. Sounds like you got a linear taper.

Drilling the strap hole should be easier since the body is alder. I think it's a softer wood than the roasted maple.

3. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    That looks like a super sweet Super Strat!
    I wonder if there's any other mods you can make to make the mid boost less intense. I like stuff like that to accentuate the sound not take it over.

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    If you look at a factory blue print, the strap button on the upper cutaway is at an angle. Make a dent with a center punch to help start the drill out. Use a drill bit that is the minor diameter of the screw you are using. The minor diameter is the solid part of the screw without the threads. Put a piece of tape on it for a depth guide and drill by hand. Do it without the neck on, as the neck can get in the way. Some drills have a built in level.

I like some wax on the screws and use the correct size and a good quality screwdriver for the installation.

button.png

image from

https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=9015

minor.png

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Hyliandeity and RogerC like this.
  5. Hyliandeity

Hyliandeity TDPRI Member

May 4, 2014
    Boston
    She is all put together and has been for a few weeks now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bridge is floating a bit to give a half step up on the high E string. I may increase this to a full step, we'll see:

[​IMG]

The switch for the midboost is a bit higher than my pickups are set right now, and it hasn't gotten in the way of my playing at all yet:

[​IMG]

I love the look and feel of the baked maple. It is wonderful, and makes my hand smell nice after playing.

[​IMG]

If I ever feel creative, I'll make a decal for the headstock. Maybe someday.

[​IMG]

3 springs in the back right now. I have a rear cover, but I don't feel like installing it. Another maybe someday thing. It doesn't bother me right now

[​IMG]

The battery box is super easy, I'm really happy I opted for it:

[​IMG]

The $30 Guitarfetish tuners are working extremely well. I almost spent 3 times as much on tuners from Warmoth, and I'm really glad I didn't.

[​IMG]

6. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    That looks great!! I love the color. Glad everything worked out well on it.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.