Hello! In this thread I will document my first attempt at building an electric guitar from scratch. Let me start of by saying that I'm probably the least qualified person ever to attempt this. I've only been into woodworking for little over a year. I do not have all the knowledge, skill or the tools to build a guitar. With a one year old daughter I barely even have time! I know I will most likely mess up and ruin the build at some point. And yet, there's this compulsive need inside me to still attempt this. The goal is to create something that plays but more importantly, learn a lot about building a guitar. This is why I chose to do everything from scratch. I have bought a nice piece of maple for the neck. A piece of mahogany for the body and a rather beautiful piece of ziricote for the fingerboard. I will build in my shed which is comically small. I have a handheld router, a small 3 wheel bandsaw, a cordless drill and a bunch of hand tools. I wasn't planning on sharing my efforts with anyone so I haven't really documented much of the process up until today. Last week I did the fret slots and glued the neck and the fingerboard together. To saw the slots I made the jig below. I believe I found the design on a forum somewhere (perhaps this one?). It works sort of like the stew mac fret slotting jig. Instead of the indexing pin I use a razor blade which falls in the template slots perfectly. The bearings are from old roller skates that were lying around in the shed. Today I had a couple of hours in the shed to work on my first guitar neck. My goal was to thickness the headstock and do the headstock/fingerboard transition (a task I've been putting off). I used my router sled to thickness the headstock first. Not pretty, but works surprisingly well. Next up, the dreaded transition. Unfortunately I do not own a spindle sander. After doing some research on the forums I found two possible ways of achieving this task: do it by hand or use a router with a round nose bit and a jig similar to my planing sled. I opted for the latter. However, the only round nose bit I own has a very small diameter which meant I'd have to make more passes and the transition wouldn't be as clean as it could be. Also, the shaft of the router bit was very short and would therefore not reach the headstock through my router sled. To fix the depth issue of the router bit I used these two pieces of square aluminium tubes for the router to ride over. As luck may have it, they are about the same height as the guitar neck. After thicknessing with the router Here is the setup i used. to make the headstock transition. The large clamp is used as a "stop block". I did not take any pictures of the transition after routing, but I can tell you it was far from pretty. It did however remove the bulk of the material which made sanding much quicker. The headstock with the transition The neck so far: Overall I'm not unhappy with the result so far but it's far from perfect or even 'good'. We'll see how it turns out. Some important things I've learned so far: Making decently working jigs is essential Ben crowe's (Crimson guitars) masking tape trick is pure gold (look it up on youtube if you're not familiar) Super glue can fix a lot of (small) problems. Don't ever rush Thanks for reading!