My favourite guitar

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Gimme_your_bigsby, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Gimme_your_bigsby

Gimme_your_bigsby TDPRI Member

Some christmases ago, my dad and I figured that as our winter project we would try to assemble one of those telecaster kits. We both had high expectations of the project's fun factor but low expectations of the end product, after all we're both impatient and at the time knew about as much about setting up guitars as that guy playing smells like teen spirit at your local Guitar Center. We both tended to be take it out the box and don't mess with anything type guitar players. However, after about a week of hard work with some highs and some lows (who knew soldering was hard?) we managed to put the thing together and it could not have turned out better. Its absolutely beautiful and plays and sounds like a charm, and to the surprise of both of us it is now my favourite guitar by a long shot. Yes the bridge is slightly crooked, the headstock has a mark from when our sawblade give up, but somehow its given this thing character and I love it more everyday I play it.

IMG_20190109_225552.jpg
    Here you can see our bridge alignment was off but luckily not by too much the intonation adjustment couldn't account for it. However, you can see that on the last 5 or so frets the wound e-string is very much at the edge of the fingerboard, the blessing in disguise being that I don't tend to reach for it that high up the neck anyways and it gives me more space for vibrato with the high e.

IMG_20190109_225638.jpg
    The color couldn't have turned out better IMO, I know relics are always a bit controversial but it's a $100 build and I like the look.

IMG_20190109_225619.jpg
    A close up of those headstock marks I mentioned, the entire thing is slightly wonky but I hand-sanded it.

Because of the success of this project armed with our new skills and knowledge we've ordered a new slightly higher end custom kit, which will take the rough shape of a Gretsch Falcon (hopefully!). We'll do our best in trying to be more patient this time around and do everything right (probably a bigger challenge than any part of the build, yoga classes or something maybe?).

Attached Files:

2. Djentleman Dan

Djentleman Dan Tele-Holic

I think it looks awesome...

You could always take the pickguard and do a little dremel-magic if the bridge being at a slight angle bothers you.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  3. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Tele-Afflicted

Nice! Even I might be motivated enough to trim those saddle screws!
    Great story though!

Dan R likes this.
  4. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Those bridge screws look really long on the treble side. Other than that, sweetness.

5. Gimme_your_bigsby

to be honest at this point I'm not too bothered by it, I have been considering swapping the bridge out for one of the three saddle ones for extra twang-factor but then again I also kinda like my guitar being intonated. :lol:

Djentleman Dan likes this.
  6. Gimme_your_bigsby

Yeah I never quite understood why they were that long I suppose the only reason they haven't been trimmed has to do with laziness and them not really getting in the way anyways.

Tommy Biggs and Dan R like this.
  7. Djentleman Dan

A buddy got me a compensated, 3-saddle Wilkinson bridge for the holidays and gave it to me last night. I'll put it on one of my tele-clones and see/post about how different it is.

8. Gimme_your_bigsby

yeah please do, I would love to know! something about those brass bullets just wins ultimate style points in my book.

9. Djentleman Dan

Here it is....still not sure about whether to adjust the barrels to similar/same positions as the bridge I replaced (3-saddle that came with guitar):

Old bridge
    IMG_2256.JPG
    New Bridge
    IMG_2259.JPG

10. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Afflicted

Don't take it the wrong way, but do you know how to intonate? Need a baseline to give you a nondicc answer.

11. Djentleman Dan

I'm gonna learn right now....got AP Tuner 3 and will tune open string, then 12th fret harmonic and move the saddle forward if 12th is flat....that's as far as I've gotten so far trying to read about it.

12. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Looks great! FWIW, I bet that if you loosened the neck screws a little bit and bumped the headstock sideways slightly with the heel of your hand, you could get the strings to line up a bit better quite easily.

13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Lovely story and nice guitar.
    Good luck with the new build.
    Who said soldering's hard?
    i used to teach students to do this in Electronics at College Level.
    Mu son and I turned out a ukulele for someone and he made the mold.
    A joyful experience that I treasure when I see that mold in my shed.
    You built more than a good guitar there- you guys have built something loving that you'll both treasure forever.
    On ya Mate!!:)

14. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Meister

That's not quite correct. It's 12th fret harmonic against lightly fretted string on 12th, fyi.

GDR

15. Djentleman Dan

I ended up reading about that, and basically tried to get the 12th harmonic as close to open as possible and the 12th fretted note to be just slightly sharp. Turned out great and sounds much better than before with the combination of new bridge, new strings and better intonation.

Thanks for your help!

GreatDaneRock likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.