My father-in-law got a new (to him) car. And he’s really proud of it.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

One time I flew into a music fest and got picked up my old buddy, Dave. He owns a '67 VW micro-bus with the opera windows and sunroof. At the time I was driving a '65 Chevy Van that had been a phone company truck as my daily driver. Anyway he picked me up from the airport in a friend's Cadillac. This car had all the bells and whistles, cigarette lighters in the backseat ashtrays, more legroom them my living room, leather upholstery... As we were riding, I'm taking in all of the luxury options and he notices me checking it all out. I said, "I could get used to this." He smiled at me and said, "I was thinking the exact same thing."

So far neither of us have owned big American tuna boat sedans, but who knows what's to come.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  2. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Only driven to church on Sundays. Great shape for it's age!

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  3. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I also had a '68 Riviera GS with a warmed over 430... Cam, intake, exhaust, improved oiling system, used to race the rich kids in high school with their new Camaros and Mustangs, when they lost I'd work on their stuff to improve on the anemic 165-180 Horsepower those things were making.... ;)

Southpole likes this.
  4. 392Hemi

392Hemi TDPRI Member

I bought a new 83 Toronado, essentially the same car, I had the V8. Nice ride

TheGoodTexan and rz350 like this.
  5. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

my mom had one of these:
    [​IMG]

1980-something Dodge Aries. K-car. She bought it second-hand from a car rental company. It was in some ways, a joke. But it was fairly comfy.

She died, and I took over her car. It was still a joke - but it drove OK and I noticed that I was flying 'under the radar' of the local police and CHP. It was nice to be invisible. The AM-FM radio could get all the local stations. I first heard Rodney Crowell singing "She's Crazy For Leaving" on that radio, and that might be where my musical journey started to turn... but that's a different story.

When I left the USA, I gave it to a friend (my former supervisor at work). He was used to big red Dodge pickups, Porsches, etc. He fell in love with it; had it repainted and the falling headliner fabric replaced. He, too, noticed how nice it was to NOT be noticed.

After a few years, he had moved in to a long-term serious relationship. His new 'father-in-law' was a retired life-long US soldier who had obtained some pretty high rank, having served valiantly in WWII, Korea, and Viet Nam. This guy took a liking to the car, so my friend gave it to him. That old guy loved this car 'til the day he died. He cared for it like it was his child; he had the seats recovered; he was so proud of it!

I can't remember where that car ended up. The old guy died, and my friend had enough new cars that he didn't need the old Aries. I will have to ask him about that next time I'm in Oakland CA.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Southpole, tery, Stubee and 1 other person like this.
  6. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Not gonna lie, for some reason that really appeals to me.

rz350 and TheGoodTexan like this.
  7. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Ugly as sign, comfortable as heck ride.

Chunkocaster and TheGoodTexan like this.
  8. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

I like it. Those were always nice well thought of automobiles and still are thought well of now.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  9. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have the factory AM/FM/CB radio for that car, if he wants to talk to the truckers and "good Buddies".... ;)

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Every time I see one of those GM two doors from the 80s I think about the time that a buddy of mine and I were painting a rich buddy of ours parent’s house.

This is about 1990 or 91. Little Richie Rich came in the house while we were still cleaning up and kind of took a major attitude with us. This is a kid that had been handed everything his entire life. And we graduated with him.

He was going to spend the night there before driving down to Florida and try to do it in one shot.

Right before we left , we grabbed the keys to the loaded 85 Riv his mom gave him and went outside to the car , opened the door, adjusted the power seat all the way forward , seat all the way down, and then reached underneath and cut out every wire that was there . Didn’t leave a single one.

From what I understand, he bitched all the way down to Key West - from Michigan. :lol::lol::lol:

So , every time I see one of those cars that’s where my mind goes. ...

william tele and ukepicker like this.
  11. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I would bet every dollar I have, plus every possession I own, that my FIL will never once even attempt to bark the tires. Period.

telemnemonics and rz350 like this.
  12. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Man - 28 HP per liter. My 1.8T "only" makes 94 HP per liter. My previous 2.0T madel 100. My wife's NA 2.5 makes 75.

Modern tech. Gotta love it.

If only that 307 made, say, 60 HP / Liter - that would put that around 300 HP. Then you could get smokey burnouts!

rz350 likes this.
  13. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I bought a new 80 Olds Cutlass Supreme it came with a Buick V6 engine and was pretty much the same car as that 85 Buick Riveria . It was the best car that I have ever owned .

Greggorios and TheGoodTexan like this.
  14. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I had one 10 years ago. Same year as this. I loved the car. Easy to work on. Started when it was suppose to. Stopped when I wanted it to. Whats not to like?!

15. thegreatshocka

thegreatshocka Tele-Meister

LS1 swap? LS1 swap ;)

To each their own. I bet it is fantastically smooth riding.

rz350 and TheGoodTexan like this.
  16. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

To fully experience that car, you have to wear a pastel disco shirt with those long, pointy, collars, unbuttoned half way down, then further accessorize with the heavy gold chain necklace...and don't forget your shades.

For a while, I had an infatuation with mid-late '70'' Eldorado convertibles and Lincoln MKV's. I'm kinda over it now, but I know it could come back at any time.

I liked them for their wretched excess and perceived cheesiness. Even so, I bet they're great to drive around and terrify Prius drivers with, though you might not be able to catch one with a sub-200hp engine pulling a 5000 lb road-boat.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    TheGoodTexan likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I love it! I'm too tight to buy something like that, but I would envy your FIL driving by! My brother in law is always coming up with a cool car of some kind, but he's a master at buying stuff for nothing and selling it for loads of money.

18. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay Tele-Meister

I sure miss my 77 Chevy Monte Carlo....was great for cruising....this one would be too...

19. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Nice looking car. I'll be it rides better than any new car in town.

Me, too. I love dashboards.
    Me and my boys have been watching a lot of the old A-Team show lately and the late 70s/early 80s cars that are on that show really make me miss those times.

jonnyfez likes this.
  20. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

A college best friend of mine still has his first new car, a 1981 Monte Carlo. It is partially restored, but not yet roadworthy.

Along the same models, my first wife and I once bought a 1982 Grand Prix. That was possibly the best car I ever owned until we got a '92 Bonneville.

The only trouble I had with the Grand Prix was the air conditioner; it had a leak somewhere no one could find.

The only problem that developed with the one-owner, garage kept Bonneville, was with the brakes. The base brakes worked fine--something went awry with the ABS and I never got that problem fixed (light stayed on).

ukepicker likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.