Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My Epic Search for Sonic Blue

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by kevarilla, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Did you happen to notice that this thread is over 4 years old, the OP made a total of *twelve* posts during his membership and never reappeared?

Good luck!

:D

brbadg likes this.
  2. guitar0621

guitar0621 Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    USA
    Since we are now on this subject--

Does anyone know of current sources for real-deal auto restoration nitro that is mixed from the old color codes? The only guitar I've found painted with said stuff is this Tahitian Coral Strat from an old Reranch thread. It looks awesome.

[​IMG]

www.hiberniaautorestorers.com/ mixes nitro from the old codes (at like $100 a quart)-- and that's where the nitro on this Coral Strat came from.

But I've also wondered about www.TCPGlobal.com nitro but can't tell exactly what it is.

I think maybe http://www.finishmaster.com/ may also do it from the codes, as it appears that that's where http://curtisnovak.com/restorations/FenderColors/index.shtml got his from. But I dunno.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone with the skinny on these or other sources for real deal color code nitro?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  3. smokehousewilly

smokehousewilly Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2009
    the big apple
    Gawd that's beautiful.

Have you checked out these guys? http://www.paintscratch.com

I bought some Sonic Blue in the can, but it hasn't arrived yet so I can't opine.

Hmmm...not sure if it's nitrocellulose, though.

NB: It's actually "urethane", according the reply to me email query of the subject. So I guess that nudges a nitro vs. poly debate, and there's probably no debate for the purist.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  4. smokehousewilly

Aug 30, 2009
    the big apple

5. smokehousewilly

Aug 30, 2009
    the big apple
    1 12oz rattle can (+1 just in case) is my considered estimate after a little internet research.

6. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yes indeed sir! Those Cadillac colors are DA BOMB!" Only one thing nicer than having one of those colors on a guitar, would be having a late '50s Cadillac under it as well!

Gosh I Love Old Guitars, Cadillacs, Hillbilly Music!
    Gene

And I'm guessing this song is OKAY on a telecaster website?

7. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2012
    Bucharest
    Here: 2015-11-13 13.46.40.jpg DSC_2109.JPG 2017-09-01 15.12.57.jpg I've used the same nitro sonic blue (car paint) on two different bodys. More coats on the second one, so is slightly darker...
    Also, in different light = different colours... (pic 2 and pitc three is the same gtr))

smokehousewilly and ndcaster like this.
  8. poolshark

poolshark Tele-Holic

Mar 20, 2011
    Tallahassee
    In my latest dealings with them - circa ~2014 - their lacquer was acrylic. Good color match, but I wasn't particularly keen on their spray can. I'd recommend buying in quarts and running it through a Preval or spray rig.

guitar0621 likes this.
  9. guitar0621

guitar0621 Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    USA
    Again since we're on the topic nitro sourcing, there was some interesting info recently at Reranch-- but don't tell anyone. A guy there somehow figured out that http://www.cardinalpaint.com/markets/musical-instruments/ is what FCS uses. (I actually think they have updated their website in the last few weeks with the "musical instruments" stuff as the 2000 line was not listed as such before.) He says that they told him that there is nothing proprietary about the colors they've mixed for Fender, and if you ask nicely Cardinal will sell you some.

10. smokehousewilly

Aug 30, 2009
    the big apple

I can most definitely caution anyone to avoid dealing with these people. So far they have demonstrated complete indifference to customer service.

guitar0621 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.