Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

My Do-It-Yourself IKEA Pedalboard Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Armchair Bronco, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Dustin30

Dustin30 TDPRI Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Idaho
    That's awesome, I like the Silver color, looks like it turned out great!

2. Dustin30

Dustin30 TDPRI Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Idaho
    That is a nice looking board!

3. klasher

klasher Tele-Meister

Apr 26, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA
    Hey quick question on you're using the longer board: was one support beam down the middle on the underside enough to stop the bowing when you step on it?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Maximus.opto

Maximus.opto Tele-Meister

Feb 9, 2009
    San Francisco
    here's mine! - work in progress

I am still trying to decide what to do with the back panel before I paint this.

The rest of the board was painted using some sort of high durability enamel, safety red. I had to handpick the ikea gorm part since a majority of them had the individual planks that were not parallel to each other.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Staples sells industrial velcro that has really strong adhesive on it. :cool:

7. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    GORM tip

Recently upon getting ready to fly with my Gorm I realized I had a problem.My airlines doesnt allow electronic items to be checked in,so they need to be carried on,and carry-ons need to be less than 56cm long.The gorm is 50cm [19.5''] long,so a case had to fit perfectly.Initialy the small wheeled carry on cases with pull-out handles looked perfect and the dimensions where right,but they all have rounded corners so the stock gorm wasnt even close to fitting.
    I was about to shave off about 1.5'' in width and 1'' in length from my Gorm when I came across this funky,30 year old faux leather bag. So I would strongly recommend finding the proper bag for your gorm before doing anything else.And remember,if you are mounting a wah pedal you will need additional height clearance,mine is 8.5'' tall with a wah,so the aluminum suitcases are too shallow.

And speaking of wah's, heres a tip.Even 3m dual lock doesnt always keep them in place,so I mounted a couple metal brackets below and used long black tie wraps to hold it onto the dual lock.

Attached Files:

8. 2pointmandolin

2pointmandolin TDPRI Member

Jan 20, 2009
    central Florida
    What a great idea! I had been wanting a cup of Swedish meatballs anyway!
    I used a:
    Gator power brick:
    Zoom A2 (for tuner and acoustic simulator),
    MXR Dynacomp,
    modded Blues Driver,
    Electro Harmomix Memory Toy (can work as a chorus too!)
    Carl Martin Surf Trem,
    and a Boss RC-2 looper.

Room for one more! Maybe the Spaghetti Western fuzz? ! ?

9. JimmyJam

JimmyJam Tele-Afflicted

Mar 5, 2009
    So Cal
    Meanwhile the R&D dept at Ikea can't understand why these shelves are flying off the shelves.

Good idea. Thanks for taking the time to post the process.
    Very Cool!

10. cdillerud

cdillerud NEW MEMBER!

Mar 29, 2010
    Minneapolis
    I threw a quick version of this together last night...i have not seen anyone carpet one yet. Bad idea to do so?

Seems the soft wood(yep, I wrote it..) would be well served by being covered with some material other than just paint?

11. Armchair Bronco

Armchair Bronco Tele-Meister

Jan 2, 2008
    Seattle,WA
    Here are a couple of more recent photos of my rig and pedalboard:

[​IMG]

The unlabeled gray pedal is a "Leeds Fuzz" (Univox Superfuzz clone) I built last summer. I still need to decorate it. The Tech21 Boost RVB isn't used with my Ampeg Gemini I since that amp has its own reverb that slays the RVB, but I do use it with my Orange TT. The Blues Driver is my clean boost.

[​IMG]

12. maches

maches Tele-Meister

Jan 16, 2009
    San Francisco
    Here's mine...for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Guitar -> Boss TU-2 -> MXR Dyna Comp clone -> Barber LTD -> Rangemaster clone -> '69 Fuzz Face clone -> EA Tremolo clone -> MXR Carbon Copy -> Boss RC-2 -> Amp

Bought the case at a local thrift store for $4.00 couldn't have asked for a tighter fit. Mushroom included. :)

Thanks for the inspiration Bronco.

13. Jayson

Jayson Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Getting one soon!

14. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    What you get is the undeniable IKEA vibe. For cutting up scrap wood, you don't need a table saw. A hand saw will do just fine.

On mine, the wires are all on top. I like the under-the-pedals wiring. Think I'll try it! But with holes, not slits. I built mine to fit in its "case, a suitcase I found in the trash.

Less $ for pedal board = more $ for pedals!

15. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2009
    Cincinnati
    Love it man! That case was heaven sent too. Thanks for sharing, and cool board and pedals too, thanks again armchair bronco for the design concept.
    I recently made my own, but not with ikea, just some wood I had in garage.
    I will post some pics soon, but the concept here helped me along the way.
    Good stuff, and hardly any cost involved. Still need a one-spot to power, but should have it soon. A new amp got in my way! :p

16. Jayson

Jayson Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2009
    Houston, TX
    More to come once I get the One Spot wrangled. Feets are going on too.

[​IMG]

17. flag72

flag72 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 20, 2009
    Canada/venise-en-quebec
    hey armchair bronco
    congrat on the write up you got it was a great idea you had , many people made pedal board like youre's after you posted here me included...lol thank's again man :0)
    here's my pedal board made from left over wood I ad at home the only thing I bought is velcro and carrying case + pedal hahaha :0)
    [​IMG]
    Dan

18. fenderFOlife

fenderFOlife TDPRI Member

Jun 6, 2010
    seatle
    i love it i need to get to ikea and save 100$ now i can get a fulltone

19. jammers5

jammers5 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 21, 2009
    Mount Pearl NL
    Thanks for the idea! I have started a board myself based on yours and will post more when I complete it!

J5

Attached Files:

20. Doc

Doc Tele-Afflicted

Aug 20, 2003
    South Dakota
    I did a variation on the design a couple years ago.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.