Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

My Do-It-Yourself IKEA Pedalboard Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Armchair Bronco, Mar 15, 2009.

1. harvdog

harvdog TDPRI Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Montclair, VA
    We need PIX!

2. Jeff_K

Jeff_K Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    Katy, TX
    I didn't think it would be that interesting, but since two of you yelled at me, well, okay! Notice the simple little V cut to allow for the plug to pass through. It doesn't have to be very big for the cheapo (but good enough) MF cables that I use. I also put on the OP's rubber feet, though you can't see in the craptacular cell phone photo, but they are useful. A tip: pre-drill the holes for the feet on the upright back piece, you will split the narrow board if you don't.

This Gorm thing is solid enough that you could put your Cry Baby on it (but on the outside, for sure) and be able to trigger it without worrying about breaking the board. I don't use it enough to carry it around, but it fits perfectly.

Plenty of space for more pedals, too (and 2 on order, yeah!), I just spaced them out since it would look silly to have them all crammed together.

I am VERY appreciative to the OP and whoever else came up with this idea. It's easy and cheap, yet very good quality. Thanks a lot!

pedal_board.jpg

3. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2009
    Bethesda, MD.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Harvy

Harvy Tele-Meister

Apr 4, 2009
    Texas
    Or you could do like me, I'm planning to build the board, then i'll have a "need" to get more pedals so i can fill my new board..;)

6. ilickbaby

ilickbaby TDPRI Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Arlington
    Armchair Bronco, I digs it the most! Clean loooking, purrty, solid. I've been looking around the web for ideas, I likes yours the most. Grats on props for the article bout your board. I like the ideas you started. I enjoyed reading the thread as much as I will making my board. I'm little kid excited about it >_< haha!

7. ilickbaby

ilickbaby TDPRI Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Arlington
    i took the basic design. mine's not as purrty but i like it considering i am horrible at DIY haha! I messed up in that I didn't write the plans because I had to leave town and resumed the project when I returned and I bolted the top boards on the side instead of over the side boards. would've given me room for the power strip, would've been a tight durable box. As it is I reinforced it but...sigh. haha! Well, anyway, I like it but at least I know how to build it :).
    let paint dry.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

8. ilickbaby

ilickbaby TDPRI Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Arlington
    Part 2

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

the last two are with the light off and on. so you can see how it looks. i have a crybaby from hell wah pedal to the cool cat fuzz to the chorus, and i have the footswitch for my amp as well. all in all i have to connect the footswitch to amp, the in to the wah, the out from chorus to amp and the power strip. i will add a handle to the heel part of the board for carrying around. it was a lot of fun!!

9. Jayson

Jayson Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2009
    Houston, TX

10. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    Is that a florescent light bulb on your board?
    I usually avoid pluging in to anything connected to a flourescent or neon light if at all possible.
    Nice gorm though! :)

11. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2009
    Portland, OR
    They have one in Portland now.

Go Ducks!

12. tubeholic

tubeholic TDPRI Member

Feb 3, 2008
    Lisboa, Portugal
    This is so cool. I just finished my board from a few leftover Ikea shelves I had around after finishing the storage on my basement. I had no idea this was so popular around here :D:

Here's my take (excuse the poor woodworking skills):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fits in the case:
    [​IMG]

13. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

14. fatboymjt

fatboymjt Former Member

...good ideas...cheap and easy!..

15. cactusrob

cactusrob Tele-Afflicted

Aug 26, 2009
    Georgia
    Thanks for this post. It's inspiring.
    I've been working on one similar to yours at home for a while now (it got put on the back burner for a while). The difference is, I wanted a box of some sort on the top toward the front to put the power strip in and to also double as a storage compartment for odds and ends I might need to keep handy. I also have an under-the-cabinet light (for kitchens) that contains a string of small bulbs in a plastic case that I intend to mount to that box to shine over the top of my pedals. (picked it up on a clearance rack at HD for about 9 bucks)
    I also want to have a connection on each end of the board or just a junction box with an input and output, so that the pedals are connected to the board and I can just run longer cables from the guitar and to the amp as opposed to plugging the guitar in to the first pedal and out of the last to the amp.

But anyway, thanks again for your post. it's a great inspiration for me to get going again. Your board looks great!!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010

16. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 31, 2004
    Hackettstown, NJ
    I've been wanting to build my own for awhile now. The board I have (Gator) is a bit too small, and the next size up (from any manufacturer) is too big. I need something in-between. Amazing how you try to work something out in your head, and aren't quite sure how to go about it, but then you see a pic and go "A-HA!!! THAT'S how to do it! Easy Peasy!"

17. headshrinker

headshrinker TDPRI Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Belfast
    hey guys, just firstly wanted to say thanks to everyone who started this thread and who further contributed to it, as many have said before, its a big inspiration. I too wanted a pedal board but either couldnt afford or couldnt find the right one to suit, so i set about the ikea route!

I went for the same Gorm type shelf, but the longer one, and instead of using velco, i opted for screwing the pedals onto the board (i thought itd be more secure and less messy if i ever wanted to remove/sell them) I got a few pedal/screw kits off http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com as well as the rubber feet, corner stops, cable ties and cable tie fixings. Apart from some extra spare pinewood, it was the same job all round and i only spent about £30 (20 dollars, if even) in parts including paint! Also bought a super quiet, and cheap power supply daisy chain thing from http://www.effectpowersupplies.com (and an adapter for the RAT). That with the extra space on the board should make it easy to add another one or 2 in the future, if i needed to. Anyway, cheers again to everyone and hope you enjoy..

Mark @ Deadlights

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. cactusrob

cactusrob Tele-Afflicted

Aug 26, 2009
    Georgia
    Wow, I like that one, Headshrinker...

19. jgrappy

jgrappy NEW MEMBER!

Jan 15, 2010
    Ohio
    This is an awesome thread! I made mine out of pine and sprayed it a metallic silver. Looks way better than having my pedals all over the floor and much cheaper!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Josh

20. klasher

klasher Tele-Meister

Apr 26, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA
    Dumb question, how'd you attach the velcro strips to the wooden boards? Did you glue them down? Was the adhesive on the back of the velcro enough to hold it in place?

21. electricbody

electricbody Tele-Afflicted

Jan 19, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Most hardware stores sell velcro with adhesive backing. The Velcro brand is available with adhesive backing. Just peel and stick.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.