Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

My Do-It-Yourself IKEA Pedalboard Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Armchair Bronco, Mar 15, 2009.

1. hou35male

hou35male Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2008
    Houston, TX.

That's why I bought a Pedaltrain, comes with gig bag!!!!!

2. TheDragonReborn

TheDragonReborn Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2009
    Heerlen, NL, Europe
    Great! I live just 2kms from an IKEA store so I'm going to buy one of these asap & get
    working on it. I just feel a bit stupid about missing out on this thread, it has been started
    many months ago...

TDR

3. Budda

Budda Tele-Holic

Apr 27, 2009
    Arkansas
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. i like guitars

i like guitars TDPRI Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Anaheim, Ca
    check mine out i got a case from home depot for $20 and i cut the gorm down to fit in the case.
    opened
    [​IMG]
    closed
    [​IMG]

6. Schizotronic

Schizotronic Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2009
    Brazil
    Oh, god... you paid twenty bucks for an aluminum-like (or actual aluminum) case. I wish I could do that..
    Here in Brazil a case like this one would never, EVER cost less than US$40 - 45.

Yeah, there are times where I envy you guys. "Good" envy: not wishing bad luck or something like this - just wanting these prices for me:cry:

7. electricbody

electricbody Tele-Afflicted

Jan 19, 2007
    South Louisiana
    I got inspired earlier this summer. While I didn't do the IKEA route, I did go to the home store and bought some wood.

I forget to take pictures until I had most of the board together.

Attached Files:

8. electricbody

Jan 19, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Part Two. Paint. As you can see from the above pictures and here, I used "L" brackets to help hold everything together. I drilled some holes for cables, etc.

Attached Files:

9. electricbody

Jan 19, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Finished, more or less. You'll noticed I made some changes to the pedals since I first put it together.

I put some Velcro on the top and in the bottom cavity. It took me a while to find a short extension cord since I bought a OneSpot after putting everything together and wouldn't you know it, but the OneSpot is just that much too tall. I eventually mounted the powerstrip sideways, found a short extension cord, and mounted the OneSpot with some Velcro. I used some electrical wire guides as hang hooks for zip ties and tied everything to the bottom with zip ties. I used some screw in furniture feet and some stick on furniture rubber pads for feet.

Attached Files:

10. harvdog

harvdog TDPRI Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Montclair, VA
    Nice work there. I like the cavity in the bottom to stuff the powerstrip and OneSpot up in.

11. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Pedals and Bicycle Chain Links - now that's a natural match, innit. :lol:
    why didn't I think of that?
    I actually asked a clerk in a hardware shop for figure 8 washers - huh, what? :confused:
    oh well, next board.
    I just fitted a small board with velcro, which fits snuggly into a Bosch drill case. it's small, lightwheight plastic and has a perfect handle.

12. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    My Gorm

Thanks Armchair for the inspiration. I decided to try this out as the pedaltrains arent readily available here [and I'm a do-it-yourself tightwad!]
    And there is an IKEA nearby.
    it really worked out nice having the bbe supacharger underneath,much more room on top.3m dual-lock secures everything.

the old Dod A/B box is a true bypass tuner mute for my fender st-1 tuner.These tuners have a peice of smoke colored acetate over the led display,by changing that to clear it is very bright and i can see it on outdoor stages.
    the Ross distortion is actually my OLC THOR with a bass boost switch where the old 1/8 mini power jack used to be.
    the mxr envelope filter and Ross phaser rotate with a boost,compressor or ibanez ts-9.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  13. harvdog

harvdog TDPRI Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Montclair, VA
    Nice work. Looks very clean! :cool:

14. electricbody

Jan 19, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Very clean underneath. Makes me want to go back and redo the underside of mine. Nice work.

15. czech-one-2

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    Thanks you guys!
    The beauty of these is they are basically ready to go.
    I dont even own a proper saw,but i only made one cut and that was cutting the side rail to length.
    mine didnt need any support underneath as the three panels dont flex at all.
    the biggest expense for me? a hole saw bit to cut the hole for the power supply cord and two cans of spray acrylic laquer[one primer grey one flat black.] the rubber feet were about 5 bucks too.
    I already had the dual lock, but if i didnt that would be an additional $10.00. To me,the bicycle chain links wouldnt work,cause i change some pedals like underwear,and who needs a phillips head to do that?
    so in reality,including the dual lock I've got about $30.00 into my 'gorm'.
    Its lightweight,the perfect size and best of all.......cheap!

now, Anybody know what 'GORM' means?
    My guess is its Scandanavian for functional!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  16. Armchair Bronco

Armchair Bronco Tele-Meister

Jan 2, 2008
    Seattle,WA
  17. czech-one-2

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  18. mlweidl

mlweidl Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2009
    santa barbara
    so where do u buy the little ends to the cables and u cant just buy cables like that? cause the only ones i can find to connect pedal sand the dimarrzio ones that are like 10 buck s a piece

19. difeng

difeng NEW MEMBER!

Jul 10, 2009
    Rhode Island
    It's a great thread - I'm working on my Gorm pedalboards right now!

20. Jeff_K

Jeff_K Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2009
    Katy, TX
    Yeah, I just did mine on Monday. The velcro cost more than the shelf and extra boards, total cost $15 including rattle can. Painted black with black velcro and it looks great and actually a lot like the Pedaltrain. I didn't even do as much work as the OP. Put one of the extension boards (cut to size) on one end to give the board the tilt. The Gorm was pre-assembled and if you use the smaller one ('train junior size) you don't even need the support board down the middle of the bottom. The sucker is strong! I just used a jigsaw to cut a little "V" shape cutout for the plugs to pass through, 3 cuts evenly spaced across the width. The absolute minimum of work required and it looks great. Makes my previous DIY board look like a 4th grade project. Everyone should make one of these! How do you beat $15 total cost and 10 minutes of time? However, as mentioned, even the smaller Gorm is still a big thing to lug around and I haven't worked that part out quite yet.

21. Schizotronic

Schizotronic Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2009
    Brazil
    PICS! PICS!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.