Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

My Do-It-Yourself IKEA Pedalboard Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Armchair Bronco, Mar 15, 2009.

1. IggyT

IggyT Tele-Afflicted

Apr 21, 2008
    toronto
    "Vintage" IKEA pedalboard

Hey guys ,
    here is is..
    shellac sealer and nitro lacquer finish
    iggy

Attached Files:

2. mrmorrison

mrmorrison Tele-Afflicted

Oct 7, 2008
    Massachusetts
    ::heads to his local IKEA:: What a great idea!

3. AngryEL34s

AngryEL34s Tele-Meister

Sep 23, 2008
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Beauty work Armchair! Love the orange!

I should have looked a little harder at DIY options before I bought my Pedaltrain. I built a DIY out of some pine I had kicking around a while back, but it was a massive, two-tier board that I no longer need since I've downsized.

Depending on how some experimenting goes, I might downsize again, and if I do, I'm definitely going to hunt down some IKEA Gorm!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Unadan

Unadan Tele-Holic

I dunno the pedaltrains are pretty awesome and relatively inexpensive. This ikea thingie is about the same size as a pedaltrain jr.

6. i like guitars

i like guitars TDPRI Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Anaheim, Ca
    the pedaltrain is about $100 bucks, you can build one of these for probably less than $10. plus its super fun to build your own stuff.

7. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted

Apr 10, 2004
    Middle Earth
    Oh boy, I love this thread ! I find reassuring to see that even in our consumption crap society there are still people who craft their own things they need.

8. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2008
    Boston
    I've added a few more pedal's, a OneSpot power supply and secured 2 powerstrips along the front board. Will post some more pics soon. Again, thanks Armchair for the inspiration!

9. Unadan

Unadan Tele-Holic

Careful with the one spot if you ever power a Malekko pedal - it voids the warranty.

10. cqmurphy

cqmurphy TDPRI Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Brooklyn
    recently finished my IKEA Gorm pedalboard and have used it at a few gigs. it's been great! BUT... getting it around has not been easy.

so... has anyone come up with a good transportation solution either DIY or store-bought?

11. harvdog

harvdog TDPRI Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Montclair, VA
    This is one of the problems I'm having as well. Currently, I am using a canvas bag that my board barely fits in...it doesn't even fully zip closed. :(

12. JNE

JNE Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2003
    Finland
    Nice work! I really dig the simplicity of the construction and the way how you hid all the cables, the transformers etc. I should have checked out this and couple of other threads here before I redesigned mine ;)

13. i like guitars

i like guitars TDPRI Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Anaheim, Ca
    here is my take on the gorm

[​IMG]

i cut it down to size so i could fit it in a case.

[​IMG]

14. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Wow, that thing is CLEAN, looks great!

15. Stringbender.dk

Stringbender.dk Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2009
    Denmark
    I have one thing to say..... Cooooool!!!! :)

When I saw you would paint it orange I thought "oh no..." But it turned out pretty cool. Thumps up!

16. Hulk

Hulk TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Ontario, CANADA
    Nice work. The simplicity is fantastic!

17. ripper

ripper TDPRI Member

May 3, 2008
    Manitoba Canada
    Those are very cool pedal boards. Has anyone got any pics of any tiered boards they have built?

18. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    That looks incredibly functional, and I wonder why anyone using pedals wouldn't have a board to put them on (like me, for about 25 years). I think the key is the slats to allow dressing cables behind the board rather than squirrel them between FX, as I stumbled across the same feature last summer. The only thing I did different was the velcro. It's seems like a popular idea, but I don't understand it. I have several boutique and vintage pedals I'd like to keep unmolested with tape, so I favor the little rubber feet you can stick on the back. They grab low-pile carpet real well I think. The pedal only needs to be non-skid, not survive re-entry from space. I glued strips of carpet on the board, edge to edge, to allow access thru the slats for cable routing. works slick.

19. Budda

Budda Tele-Holic

Apr 27, 2009
    Arkansas
    Great stuff guys! I build my own boards as well.

I have 2 different methods for attaching pedals to boards, when you don't want to use Velcro. Both of these methods make your pedals STAY PUT! And they also allow for more security, considering a crowd member can easily reach onto the stage (In a lot of clubs, anyway. Stadiums? Well, I don't get the opportunity to play those gigs! LOL) and snatch one of your Pedals off of your board, when using Velcro.

1. Bicycle Chain Links. Seperate the 2 sides of the Chain's Links with a Chain Tool. (Available at Bike shops). And use the little "Figure 8" shaped sides if the Links to screw the Pedals to the board. Unscrew the Pedal's Screws, and then screw them back in, with the Link on the screw. Now you have the other hole in the Figure 8 of the Link that you can screw into the board.

2. Replace the Screws on the Pedals with longer Screws, and just screw the Pedals directly through the Pedalboard.

20. harvdog

harvdog TDPRI Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Montclair, VA
    Neat idea with the bicycle chain links. Post some pix of that.

21. garyd5158

garyd5158 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I thinka, I lika the Ikea pedal board alota.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.