Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My Do-It-Yourself IKEA Pedalboard Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Armchair Bronco, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Armchair Bronco

Armchair Bronco Tele-Meister

Jan 2, 2008
    Seattle,WA
    Yeah, I don't have a choice about building it now. Someone at work offered to sell me his vintage 80's ProCo RAT. I asked if I could borrow it for a couple of days first, and I left $70 in earnest money. Then, like a complete idiot, I sent email to the guy telling him how great the pedal was and how I'd like to go ahead and buy it from him.

He responded by saying he was now having second thoughts and that he wanted to try the pedal out again himself after 20 years!

I'm such an idiot!!! :oops: Should have just kept my mouth shut. Anyway, the GGG pedal will be perfect because it's a 100% copy of the circuit used in the vintage ProCo RAT from the 1980's, and someone on this site offered to give me the LM308N chip I need to make this a perfect clone.

I just wish that my soldering skills were better...but at least I got in some more practice with this project. :lol:

2. gitarzan

gitarzan Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    What a jerk. :rolleyes:

3. dB

dB Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2003
    Austin, TX
    EXCELLENT thread; thanks for sharing.

dB

4. Armchair Bronco

Jan 2, 2008
    Seattle,WA
    Not really. We'd never agreed to consumate the deal. But that was because I asked for some extra time to try it out.

If it were me, and I was thinking about giving up a pedal that I'd purchased back in the early 1980's, I'd think twice about it, too. The thing is: it's so hard to guess the value of vintage pedals. I asked him to name a price that he thought was "fair". Maybe I should have suggested something right from the start and just bought the pedal outright.

There's still hope he'll give it up since he's a bass player now and the ProCo RAT is really more of a guitar pedal as basses tend to lose some low end with it. He'll let me know this week what's up. But I'm expecting the worst. :(

5. Armchair Bronco

Jan 2, 2008
    Seattle,WA
    By the way, for folks who haven't been to IKEA before, here are links to the 2 parts I used:

GORM Shelf
    [​IMG]

The shelf also includes 4 iron-looking bolts.

GORM Height Extension Post
    [​IMG]

6. umasstele

umasstele Tele-Afflicted

Armchair Bronco: thank you very much! I have this week off for spring break and am planning on building a pedal board. I am seriously considering using your design....(assuming you dont mind of course!)

7. Yoni

Yoni Friend of Leo's

Jun 10, 2008
    Joliet, not the prison
    I used an ikea cutting board when I made mine. I love it.

8. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

May 5, 2005
    Oregon
    Looks good. I don't have Ikea store here in Eugene, Or. So I will have to stick to Home Depot or Lowe's Home Improvement.

9. Armchair Bronco

Jan 2, 2008
    Seattle,WA
    Go for it! My only contribution to the Gorm design was a giant can of orange spray paint offset by some black velcro! :lol: I can't take credit for anything else.

There's no real magic to the IKEA Gorm design. In fact, if I had a table saw (which I don't) I'd just cut up some pine pieces according to my own specs using the Gorm for inspiration. The shelf is just 3 pine slabs nailed to some "L" shaped rails. If you can cut the rails from a square piece of pine, you're golden.

If I did have the appropriate tools, then I'd think about making another pedalboard using a really nice hardwood, like some figured walnut or something but still based on the basic Gorm layout. But instead of using Velcro, I'd use some miniature rare earth magnets to attach the pedals to the board. I'd make some kind of thin wooden tray to hold each pedal and I'd secure the pedal to the tray with Velcro, but this would not be visible. Then, I'd put rare earth magnets on the bottom of the tray. These would attach to the top of the pedalboard.

But none of this is possible without a decent table saw and a dedicated spot in my garage...

10. harvdog

harvdog TDPRI Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Montclair, VA
    I loved your design idea so I made my own. Shortened the board a bit and used a different color. Thanks for the great idea.

Here is my IKEA pedal board:
    [​IMG]

Here is the underside which could use a bit more work:
    [​IMG]

Here is the board with my Gretsch:
    [​IMG]

11. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2008
    Boston
    Yup, your work inspired me as well.
    [​IMG]

12. Armchair Bronco

Jan 2, 2008
    Seattle,WA
    ^^ Nice job, guys! I like 'em both!

Just got back from vacation or I would have responded earlier. I'm glad you were each able to take a simple design and put your own spin on it. Both of the boards look like they belong in their respective homes.

Plus, you guys probably saved enough money to make a major down payment on a new pedal!

The Legendary IKEA Gorm Pedalboard FTW! :lol:

13. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2008
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I just finished my pedal board (which was heavily influenced by your design ). I will post pictures in a few days once I receive the last pedal I ordered. Thanks for posting this project, its simplicity is genius.

14. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    Fantastic work, A.B.!

You know you've done something really good when you have at least two other folks actually implementing your idea!

I have 3 speparate (homebuilt) pedalboards which are all very spartan in appearance and function, and need to be overhauled. There's an IKEA on the way home from my wife's job, so I think it's time to order some 1Spots and 3 of those Gorms.

Thanks for the wonderful idea and well illustrated write-up!

15. FirstBassman

FirstBassman Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2008
    Virginia
    Great job A/B! Congrats.

It was raining? In Seattle!? I'm shocked! :eek:

16. Unadan

Unadan Tele-Holic

How many other guitar gear related boards was this posted to? Seems like I've seen this before elsewhere.

17. IggyT

IggyT Tele-Afflicted

Apr 21, 2008
    toronto
    Hi ArmchairBronco,
    this is brilliant! I picked up the IKEA parts yesterday and will get started soon. this is way better than velcro on the carpet in my family room!
    iggy

18. edd677

edd677 Tele-Meister

Feb 1, 2009
    Ontario
    I had some serious doubts at first but that thing turned out awesome, great work. May have to build my own, if I ever get into pedals, or electric guitar for that matter.

19. Unadan

Unadan Tele-Holic

It looks very nice but I'll take a Pedal Train Jr. over this any day.

20. markxander

markxander Tele-Holic

LOVE this design
    I just bought my Gorm shelf this morning, going to start painting tonight
    Hopefully pics in the next few days

People's personalities are really coming out in some of the design choices

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.