Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My Do-It-Yourself IKEA Pedalboard Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Armchair Bronco, Mar 15, 2009.

1. jjlikesguitar

jjlikesguitar Tele-Meister

Oct 25, 2009
    Spike City, NL
    Me and my wife built my (second) IKEA Gorm pedalboard this week, inspired by Armchair Bronco's idea.

I made a video tutorial while working on this project, it should be on YouTube somewhere next weekend.

image-2656969027.jpg

2. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

wow~ a 505II

hard to find those things that are still working... I had three of them.

none work now.

3. nategrein4

nategrein4 NEW MEMBER!

Aug 26, 2013
    Portland, OR
    This is great thanks!

4. mhbmusic

mhbmusic TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Bethesda, MD
    Just wanted to share a picture of the finished board. [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

5. jmwreck

jmwreck TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Singapore
    here is my barebones Ikea Algot board.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 14, 2010
    USA
    Thanks for the inspiration!

Here is my board. It was a fun project. I am glad now that my pedals are much easier to move around... in my home, I don't gig... for money.

I had a bunch of pedals from lots of trades over the years. The problem is I never really use pedals so I went through all of the pedals I had and kept the ones I thought I might like and sold the others and bought some new ones. I still have more pedals than what is on this board, but these are the pick of the ones I kept and the ones I purchased. So now I'm getting into playing with pedals :D

I took photos and documented my build at Flickr, http://www.flickr.com/photos/102898048@N08/sets/72157635775354025/.

[​IMG]

ROW 1: OKKO Diablo Gain+, Trachouse Boost, Rothwell Love Squeeze, Korg PitchBlack, TC-Electronics Ditto, TC-Helicon Harmony Singer, VOX 487a Wah

ROW 2: Tortuga Martini, SA Programmable EQ, Wampler Plexi-Drive, ZVEX Fat Fuzz Factory, EH Germanium Big Muff

ROW 3: TC-Electronics Flashback X4, Hardwire Reverb, Hardwire Phaser, Joyo Flanger, Line 6 G50 Wireless receiver

[​IMG]

Joyo Power Supply 2, T-Rex Fuel Tank Chameleon, Belkin surge protector, adapters for wall warts. All held on with Velcro. We will see if the Velcro holds up.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013

7. jjlikesguitar

jjlikesguitar Tele-Meister

Oct 25, 2009
    Spike City, NL
    So me and my wife built an IKEA pedalboard and made this cool tutorial video: http://youtu.be/FF0xJyS6eSc finally got around to editing it. Since I'm not very good at wood working, she did all the hard parts ;-)

8. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 14, 2010
    USA
    That was a great tutorial. I like the idea of taking it completely apart to make the spacing in between the boards bigger. I ended up doing what armchair did which was to create notches in the boards themselves. Definitely not as pretty, but I was happy to find out the notches are hidden once the pedals are in the board.

I like that you also talked about planning the pedal board and planning the power needs, because those are definitely an important part of the process. I looked at many different build threads and videos before I started my project and yours has to be the most thorough and entertaining.

9. k tone

k tone Tele-Afflicted

Feb 29, 2008
    Canada
    Nicely done video jj. I wonder whatever became of Armchair Bronco?

10. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Feb 17, 2007
    Portugal
    [​IMG]

From a GORM shelf!

11. aintitthelife98

aintitthelife98 TDPRI Member

Oct 8, 2013
    New Jersey
    Thanks so much to the OP for this thread. Here is my DIY board:

[​IMG]

12. wtk0315

wtk0315 Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2013
    Houston area
    I love this thing. Now I want to build one a little smaller with fx loop jacks.

13. go49ners

go49ners Tele-Meister

Dec 13, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Posted mine a while back but finally cleaned it up after getting a new power supply instead of a daisy chain...

Before...

image-2628802787.jpg

image-2212679680.jpg

image-3689464977.jpg

image-610014970.jpg

After...

image-3091893421.jpg

image-1041176153.jpg

image-411372750.jpg

image-1331766457.jpg

image-2233739973.jpg

14. Nefariousparity

Nefariousparity NEW MEMBER!

Nov 25, 2013
    Temecula, California
    DIY Pedal, No Ikea

After researching for weeks, and following many of your guys's lead. I decided to get some tools out and build my own pedal board. Typically I have always been a bass player. In the current band I play in, I am in a guitar player. I am having fun exploring new sounds. The Vox is getting sent out soon to be heavily modified especially with a true by pass switch. This whole thing took me about a month to complete. And I am very pleased with the results and have learned a thing or two on the way! Thanks for watching. Wish I owned a compound miter as I did all of this with a circular saw.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cut and put together, this board is constructed from pine. I was originally going to go with something fancier, however my father in law who is always the penny pincher was with me and said why not pine?
    [​IMG]
    Here is a shot of it at band practice. First trial run, I initially did not even know how I wanted to setup the pedals. Glad I did a trial run.

[​IMG]
    First coat of Stain. I used wood conditioner first as it is pine. I also sanded all wood with 120 Grit sandpaper by hand.

[​IMG]
    First coat of polyurethane. Since I used a water based stain, I used a water based Poly. I used a synthetic fiber 3" Purdy brush to brush it on. In long strokes. I was very pleased with the poly.

[​IMG]

Third coat of poly, looking good!
    [​IMG]

Put back together again! Wow looks so good! My son thought it was a slide.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was in a hurry, but thanks for the inspiration guys! I am very satisfied with how this came out! If there was a IKEA near where I live I would have purchased the gorm.

15. jmwreck

jmwreck TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Singapore
    My practice rig, made from an Ikea board with an Ikea drawer mat
    [​IMG]

16. stantonmanton

stantonmanton Tele-Meister

Oct 19, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    Quick question: Should I stain my wood for the GORM board before or after I assemble it?

(Prob a stupid questions but I am a woodworking noob)

17. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    ^ A painter would stain/finish before assembly ( I was one for 20years ;-)

18. doctor_capleson

doctor_capleson Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2014
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    I built a GORM board, but did not cut down the shelf at all; I need all the space I can get.

It's a good design, although I worry that one of these days I'll stomp right through it if I press down extra enthusiastically.

19. jmcfender1

jmcfender1 Tele-Holic

May 6, 2011
    Appalachian Mtns
    a tobacco stick board…finished it about two weeks ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

working on a smaller one too:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.