Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My Do-It-Yourself IKEA Pedalboard Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Armchair Bronco, Mar 15, 2009.

1. telecat33511

telecat33511 Tele-Holic

Aug 9, 2005
    Tampa Florida
    I accept that !

All Hail Gorm, King of the inexpensive DIY pedal boards

Just got back from Ikea with my $8 gorm shelf,
    and I am going to the garage now
    Thanks for the inspiration!

2. telecat33511

telecat33511 Tele-Holic

Aug 9, 2005
    Tampa Florida
    FYI
    Theres a whole rack of them here in Tampa FWIW
    I bought the $8 one, though the $5 are still here
    Lemme know

3. 6Shotsdown

6Shotsdown Tele-Meister

May 14, 2012
    Chatsworth, CA
    How do I add pics from a comp not a website?

4. Albertwang

Albertwang Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2011
    Italy

what's the name of this model of shelf...I like the iron version...and I need to build up a large one...please let me know...

5. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    They call it the 'broder'....makes about as much sense as gorm I guess! :lol:

6. Stratkik

Stratkik NEW MEMBER!

Jan 8, 2013
    Finland
    Could someone post the dimensions and amount of all the parts please?

7. fuzzbuzzfuzz

fuzzbuzzfuzz TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Japan
    Best thread I`ve read on TDPI - the orange board made me smile - excellent! :)

8. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2012
    South Jersey
    Where did you get the roll of Wide Velcro?

9. justaride

justaride NEW MEMBER!

Jan 23, 2013
    Auckland
    Great thread. When I made my board one of the requirements was that the pedals are protected in transit. So I thought about a case of some sort..... and ended up using an old Hitachi cordless drill case. I put some foam between the pedals when I close it, and its worked really well.

I'm now making a new timber board but want a hinged 'lid' than closes with latches or similar. I don't think I saw any posts of one of these (might have missed it though).

Cheers
    Matt

Attached Files:

10. Andy_D

Andy_D TDPRI Member

Apr 22, 2010
    UK

11. krueger

krueger Tele-Meister

Sep 7, 2011
    Sweden
    [​IMG]

I built it using a piece of an old IKEA "Billy" bookshelf and some left over carpet. I use 8xAA re-chargeable batteries as the main power source (they last pretty long), but I've added a 9V adapter jack just in case. I have wired up the pedals directly inside the battery compartments from underneath. There's also a switch which shuts off the power to avoid drain from batteries when not in use. The velcro sticks like a m**f**er to the carpet. Difficult to get the pedals off without tearing all of the carpet away with it. :eek:

12. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2010
    In transit
    I like how there's a CE-2 on every board.

13. Caramello Koala

Caramello Koala NEW MEMBER!

Feb 20, 2013
    australia
    Thanks for the great idea Armchair Bronco! You've inspired a lot of people to get out there and do something creative/constructive and I applaud you for that. Here's a pic of my recently completed GORM board!

[​IMG]

I did a write up similar to yours detailing how I made it which includes a lot more pictures. You can check that out here.

14. meneerrobin

meneerrobin TDPRI Member

Apr 4, 2013
    Leuven, belgium
    I started out from this thing:
    [​IMG]
    combined it with this thing:
    [​IMG]

added pieces of a bicyclechain as attachments and came up with:

[​IMG]

I know it's HUGE and not moveable... but that wasn't my intention.
    I just wanted it to match my 'playing room' :)

Robin

15. brommers

brommers TDPRI Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Bristol, UK
    OK, time to resurrect this one. Mine isn't finished but

My objective was/is
    - a better looking pedalboard
    - somthing small to fit inside an existing flight case I had going spare.
    - an upgraded power supply, which is expensive, so
    - less than £10 of new materials

I headed to IKEA looking for the GORM board to cut down, but ended up with this instead:

[​IMG]

This one is a bit more expensive than GORM (although not much, as they're only sold in packets of 2 here) but it appealed to me because of the smaller size and the hardwood.

Next I sawed across about 3 slats in, discarded another slat entirely, then superglued it together.

At this point I decided it should be a Tele themed board and sanded the finish off the wood.
    I used some left over butterscotch lacquer and sprayed the top, back and sides (I can live with the original finish underneath), then screwed in three Tele neck screws (slotted, of course) to add extra rigidity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's as far as I got today. The plan is to mount the new power supply underneath (there should be enough room), then run the power cables through the slats. I'm happy to live with the patch cables on top of the board, I already have them made up like that anyway.

I'm going to see if it's feasible to run strips of velcro along 3 or four of the slats, then mount the pedals accordingly - at least this will be in keeping with the "blackguard" theme. Maybe I'll think of a more elegant solution...

16. brommers

brommers TDPRI Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Bristol, UK
    Here is the completed blackface-themed MOLGER board. Just a few cable management issues to sort out now, it fits snugly inside what used to be an aluminium CD case:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. mhbmusic

mhbmusic TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Bethesda, MD
    Nicely Done. Very clever and just like the pedal trains that sell for over $100 easily. I'm going to keep this in mind if I ever need a smaller board. Great idea and very simply.

Right now I'm working on a completely custom board make from a very nice walnut. Not an Ikea board but wanted to share.

This is the concept. I was bored one night while watching TV, so all pedals were redrawn in computer in vector format to exact scale.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be mounting 1/4" plugs on the side. One for guitar and two amp outputs and an IEC power blog with indicator lamp.
    [​IMG]

18. IggyT

IggyT Tele-Afflicted

Apr 21, 2008
    toronto
    This is what I have reduced to...

On my IKEA board....
    I think this is all I really need...gone are the fuzz pedals (3)..chorus..envelope filters...tremolo (maybe I should have kept that one since I no longer have trem on any amp)...reverb (because..reverb sucks...)...vibe... and the other cheesy overdrives....
    when I can really turn up the amps I hardly even use these ones...but I am constantly changing my mind :lol:
    iggy

Attached Files:

19. rogthefrog

rogthefrog Tele-Meister

Holy joinery, batman! Very nice.

20. backsideslappy

backsideslappy Tele-Afflicted

Jun 21, 2010
    Australia
    Snazzy finger joints dude.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.