Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My Do-It-Yourself IKEA Pedalboard Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Armchair Bronco, Mar 15, 2009.

1. harvdog

harvdog TDPRI Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Montclair, VA
    What size would you want?

2. dwlb

dwlb Tele-Holic

Aug 18, 2010
    Chicago
    Inspired by this thread, I trekked out to my local IKEA and put this together. Had its first gig last weekend.

Not the best bit of craftsmanship ever, not the prettiest thing, but functional, and inexpensive. Thanks for the idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. DirtyDrew

DirtyDrew TDPRI Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    You guys better hurry if you want to jump on this, the gorm shelf and height extension posts are discontinued but most stores do still have them in stock. For those of you that do not live by an IKEA, the Seattle and Long Island stores do home delivery even on items not available for sale online. Shipping will be more than the cost of the items (about $10)

4. go49ners

go49ners Tele-Meister

Dec 13, 2010
    Lancaster, PA

I am a total noob with pedal boards and such considering the only pedal I own right now is a looper, so bare with me. How do you power the power strip on stage, or when you aren't anywhere near an outlet? I'm a little confused how to set this up to power all the pedals, and also how you get power to the strip? I realize you can use a device like the Godlyke Powerall, but what powers that? Thanks in advance

5. TeleSky

TeleSky Tele-Holic

May 31, 2011
    Highland, Utah
    An extension cord... most stages don't have plugs all over the place, or provide extension cords, so if you plan on playing out, make sure to bring extension cords along for you board and amp. There is also a relatively new device from Sanyo called the Pedal Juice that is basically a battery pack to power your pedalboard. Here's a link to it: http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-Pedal-Rechargeable-Effects-Pedals/dp/B003U4O644
    I have never used the pedal juice because i would need about 3 of them to power all my pedals... Its a pretty good idea though.

6. esnapz

esnapz NEW MEMBER!

Oct 17, 2011
    nj
    I couldnt resist.... :p

Hi all...I had to join to comment on this great idea. Thanks a ton. Soon after seeing the thread I ran to ikea and came across the gorm shelf by luck in the as is section for $2 and the extension racks were on sale for 99 cents...I can't thank enough for the savings....Now to sand it down and paint it..:D

e

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      58.6 KB
      Views:

7. Short Circuit

Short Circuit Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    Some updated pics of my GORM pedalboard

Mark

Attached Files:

8. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 27, 2004
    North Hollywood

9. smoss469

smoss469 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2007
    West Virginia
    I was pissed, I finally was near an Ikea, they didn't have any individual pieces, just the completed kits. Their website sucks, can't order it online and the store locate feature doesn't tell you if they have it outside of "the possibility that they have it".

I was bummed.

10. pabloreeves

pabloreeves NEW MEMBER!

Sep 5, 2011
    Long Beach
    where did you get the hard case for it?
    thank you.
    Paul

11. Sambora65

Sambora65 NEW MEMBER!

Aug 13, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Pedalboard

Hey Dude, nice pedalboard and I see you have the Zoom 504 II on there also. I have one and was considering making a baord similar to yours. I only have four pedals to date, a Boss BD-2 Blues Driver, Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive, the Zoom 504 II and a Dunlop H-1 Heil Talk Box. Is your Zoom 504 used specifically for the acoustic guitar and is it played through the same amp as the gretsch? I have a Trace Eliott Ta35R Acoustic amp and my main electric amp is a Fender G-Dec 15watt although I have another 35watt Tangelwood amp that I hardly use. Any help as to the order I should route my pedals in would be helpful

12. harvdog

harvdog TDPRI Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Montclair, VA
    I used the 504 just for my acoustics into my Marshall AS100D acoustic amp. The Gretsch went through the other pedals into my Fender Champion 300. I have since moved to a Line 6 POD X3 Live. :)

13. dtaylor23

dtaylor23 NEW MEMBER!

Dec 11, 2011
    Concord, NC
    I'm I. The process of making my pedal board. IKEA didn't have the 19 inch board so I bought the 30 inch board and cut it down to about a 22 inch board (personal preference) had the same problem with flaw 1 so I braced it with a spare plank a little thicker in size. In the process of laying multiple coats down on it. Color is primary glossy forest green with two stripes on the left side, one, one inch and the second is three inches. Those stripes will be yellow. Pictures to comes hopefully by the end of the day, gotta make it as great as I can, right?

14. dtaylor23

dtaylor23 NEW MEMBER!

Dec 11, 2011
    Concord, NC
    Prices :
    Gorm shelf (IKEA) - $5
    Extra wood (IKEA) - $1
    ***Velcro (Lowes) - $3
    Paint (Walmart) - $6
    Rubber feet (Walmart) - $2

25 feet of Velcro for so cheap all thanks to a mispriced tag on the shelf. Normally $35, just think, I was gonna get the Velcro another day!!

15. jmcfender1

jmcfender1 Tele-Holic

May 6, 2011
    Appalachian Mtns
    really enjoyed this thread y'all, thanks for sharing!

I'm planning on building myself a smaller pedal board soon, big enough for about 4 pedals that i use a lot since i am growing out of the big one I built a while back pictured below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. strat89

strat89 Tele-Meister

Jan 3, 2012
    Montreal
    Does IKEA not sell those smaller GORM shelves anymore? All I see online are the 77cm ones.

17. JoshuaCLS

JoshuaCLS Tele-Afflicted

May 22, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    They're in store only.

18. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    I just bought one as a back up......just in case. All you really need are the side rails,you can use a nice hardwood for the three pieces that you mount the pedals on.

19. Kost1978

Kost1978 TDPRI Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Italy
    IKEA GORM for ever!

This thread was really inspiring, I found it a couple of months ago and it gave me a lot of hints for my pedalboard.
    Thanks a lot!

My version of the GORM style:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Power source obviously is underneath the surface. I did not use the velcro solution (never liked it and I do not need to remove the pedal very often), I used some "bicycle chain links" screwed directly to the wood and connected to the effects via their bottom screws.

So far it's working great!
    Still have to find a solution for transportation though...:?::confused:

20. timcoombe

timcoombe NEW MEMBER!

Apr 1, 2012
    Coulsdon UK
    Great stomp box! I went for a slightly different design although I did consider the GORM idea. The OneSpot power supply works a treat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.