Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

My collision course with Mother Nature

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rich_S, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    I was working in northern Maine this week, now headed home, traveling west through southern a Quebec. I’m watching the forecast for back home on the Weather Underground. Ho-lee crap.

Right now at home it’s 61 F but the forecast low for tonight is 4 F. I’m on a collision course with this cold front and all the ice and snow coming with it. At some point between here and there, all hell is going to break loose, and then promptly freeze over. It’s going to be any interesting afternoon and evening.

I wonder how you say, “Do you have any rooms available tonight?” in French.

dr_tom and Buckocaster51 like this.

2. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    "Mother Nature always bats last . . . "

DannyBuffalo and boris bubbanov like this.

3. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    Yikes.

I'll drive through a blizzard before messing with ice. Those big trucks coming barreling down the road can put things to a messy end for everyone.

Good luck. But I think you have the right idea - stop while it's still your choice.

televillian likes this.

4. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 12, 2008
    Houston

5. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Yeah the feat mongrels are hard at it!
    Avez vous de la place pour cette nuit?

Lake Placid Blue likes this.

6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Le formage avec pain ou le finettre, now give me 60 bucks! that should do it, and you will find a cheese sandwich by the window. ( I think )

Lake Placid Blue likes this.

7. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    It has begun. The temperature in Potsdam dropped 17 degrees in the last half hour. Still warm, foggy, and raining here east of Quebec City. Big fun on the way.

8. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Yah you're a day ahead of us. We had -8F in the last week, it's 60F today with rain, Tomorrow is going going to be at or near 60F again with more rain, and Sunday morning it's apparently going to be 10F when we wake up. Sounds like a recipe for a ton of ice.

The rain is washing away all the road treatments...

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

At least you'll be having good poutine.

catdaddy and Boubou like this.

10. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2010
    Ypsilanti, MI
    Avez-vous une chambre?

This must have been the system that hit my commute in SE Michigan this morning. In the span of about 15 miles, I saw the weather turn from completely fine to FUBAR.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Be careful.

This system really is for real. The weather in the Memphis area went from 60s, to single digit wind chills with ice, then snow on top of it. The ground is warm enough to melt some but nothing like all of it, then for the next 4 days the highest temps will still be below freezing.

I've found, whether water can thaw or not, can be expected to freeze on contact or not, is more important than Fahrenheit or Celsius.

12. LP26

LP26 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Earth (Part-Time)
    Avez-vous des chambres disponibles ce soir?

13. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    Well, I made it home. The last three hours of my 11-hour drive sucked. I saw every type of precipitation you’ve ever heard of, with the exception of volcanic ash. This afternoon while I was still a few hundred miles away, I watched (via the Internet) the temperature here at home drop 33 degrees in under three hours. The temperature where I was didn’t drop below freezing until I was off the major highways and out in the boonies. So, when the rain started freezing, there were no hotels and nothing left to do but keep moving. Things improved when it switched over to snow.

Time to sleep...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    MDent77 and dr_tom like this.

14. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not sure what that is. But it sounds like it could get you in trouble.

15. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    No, that's pitoune

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.